I just want to cry

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm 52 and my DH is 62. it took my mom who's the best in the world almost 20 years to realize that the only grandkids she was getting from her oldest daughter were going to be furry. i'm german and now when i call her sundays she usually asks me how the 9 grandkids are doing.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I SO understand how you feel. I got my love of cats from my mother, but she'd probably say the same thing your mom did.

We are in a very crappy financial situation right now, and I often find myself thinking "what if" we lost this house (God forbid!) - what would happen to the cats? I'd die before I'd give 'em up.

No one (especially my husband) feels quite the same way...

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, your Mom meant well--I know she did. I can't believe she meant her remarks to be cruel, she seemed to be thinking about what she thought would be best for you and Gary.
I'm sure you and your Mom will be able to work this out.
(((big hugs))) to you and Gary and all your furry kids.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I am sorry for your hard times.

And this is another reason why shelters are full. When times get tough, animals are the first beings to be neglected by most of society.

My DH and I lost our jobs at one point when the companies went totally under and so big changes had to happen, we cut our own food bill by well over half, lost the cable, sold a lot of stuff, basically made drastic changes in all areas, but never once did we consider abandoning our animals, feeding them a lesser food, or neglecting their care. I understand that is not the norm.
This is exactly the way pet owners should be willing to sacrifice for their pets. I would do the same thing. I haven't had a job in years, but I would clean houses, baby sit, scrub toilets, whatever it takes to feed my cats. I would never give them up. If someone volunteered to give me assistance, yes, I would take their cat food or money. Would I expect it no. Some folks just don't understand how much cat owners are committed to their cats.