I just took in a stray & EVERYTHING is going wrong! AND feral outside has abscess, I don't know what

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the pictures! Harley and BW both look so happy and well cared for! BW has such pretty eyes. And I love his expressions!

Ugh, so sorry about the spraying! I'm not very experienced with spraying, but my theory would be that your daughter's scent is the least familiar to him than any one else's in the house and that in combination with his residual hormones was enough to trigger a response. If you can keep him out of your daughter's most frequented areas for now that would probably be best. Maybe you can also introduce her scent like you introduced him to Harley's scent to him some. It could take another month before his pre-neuter hormones are gone for good. I think it's more likely due to that than a litter box avoidance habit at this point.

I hope that TNR group gets you some help soon! Maybe start contacting local rescue groups about the kittens if the TNR group is not going to be much help with finding homes. Kittens get adopted easily, but they need a lot of care the first few weeks and you have enough on your plate!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been trying to implement @Molly92 advice on what I should do with BW's spraying. I immediately took one of my daughter's shirts and left it on his blanket after I read the post. He didn't spray anything that night which I was so relieved about, but then the next night he peed on the couch! I don't know why he chose that spot. The tent he had peed in was sitting on an ottoman next to the couch which I cleaned as good as I can and sprayed with a special enzyme cleaner. I'm not sure if he was aiming at the tent. But I once noticed he had made a spraying motion at the houseplants although nothing came out. There was a fake plant next to the couch he sprayed on so I removed it. He has access to the house during the day into late at night. He spends most of his time upstairs and then explores the house once my daughter is asleep or napping or quiet in another room. The night he peed on the couch we kept him closed off in the bathroom and the night after.

The past couple of days I started noticing he would come downstairs more often and he seems more comfortable. So last night was the first night we didn't lock him in the bathroom. He didn't spray! (Unless we haven't discovered it yet!). I hope he's realizing he does not have to mark anything. One thing about BW (who I think we are naming "Oz") is he sleeps mostly during the day and is awake throughout the night! And he is very vocal! He meows and meows and  comes into the bedroom meowing. Even Harley, who I noticed is sleeping more often during the day, is starting to stay up at night to play with him. But when she comes to nap in my bedroom, he will come in there as if to look for her or to tell us to stay up with him! I know we need to keep him up during the day but he'd rather stay low key while my daughter is causing ruckus during the day. I'm hoping once he gets used to her, he'll be more comfortable to interact with us during the day and then sleep with the rest of the family!

OK, so the #1 issue on my mind though has been Grey. I've been thinking and doing more thinking, and contemplating, and reading, and researching all I can about pregnant cats. I read through quite a few threads here about pregnant cats. I even read your thread @Chaucer about Henryetta.

@Chaucer that is exactly how I feel right now. I've been having butterflies in my tummy for awhile now, that feeling you get when something is not right and you won't feel at peace until you fix it or make it right. That's how I feel about her. I can't stop thinking about her. It gets better when I don't see her after she leaves my house and than she shows up to eat and I feel so bad for her all over again. She's getting bigger and bigger. If I estimated correctly, I believe she is due around March 21st - 25th. I think this because my husband saw her and BW about to mate the week I took BW inside, before our blizzard. He stopped them before they did anything but they ran off so they could have tried again. That was on January 19 if I remember correctly. Even if she didn't get pregnant that day I saw her the next couple of nights show up with a another male cat. So I'm pretty sure she got pregnant that week. We didn't even know if she was a female/ male because when she came she always had her tale down and I never got a glimpse to determine correctly before she would run off. It was only when my husband caught her and BW that it was obviously confirmed.

The thing about Grey is that she won't let me touch her at all. Once I was able to touch her back when she was eating but that was it. I haven't been able since. She comes at arms length from me but that's as close as I can get. Yesterday she was eating and a fly landed on her back and she jumped so high, I couldn't believe how nervous and jumpy she had gotten. She gives soft meows when she sees me about to feed her which are the cutest. This is what she looks like now, I took this yesterday:

This is Grey, she just ate which is why she has a messy chin lol

She's getting so big...and she's a tiny kitty. So to see this baby pregnant saddens me...

Her pouch is getting noticeably rounder

So I have been feeding her every morning and night, Purina One dry food and Authority wet kitten food. And I've been thinking over and over if I should bring her in or wait to get someone involved like the TNR group. I would like to take her in but I have some issues that need to be worked out if I do:

First, the only place that would be suitable in my home for her would be the bathroom that BW stayed in. His stuff is still in there, such as his bed and litter box so I would have to move him out and relocate his things. I've been already moving his food bowls slowly down the stairs.

Second, I don't know how I'd be able to take her in the house since she won't let me touch her and she seems like the type of cat that doesn't like to touch anything that's new to her. She never entered any of the outdoor shelters I've made. She won't even lie on the pads I left for her to lie on. I wonder if being pregnant is making her extra nervous and fearful about everything. And I wonder if I do rent a trap, would she go for it?

Third, the week I estimated she's due, my husband and I will be away on business the weekend before. We will not be returning until late that Monday, March 21st. So if I do take her in, there's a chance that she might give birth when I'm not there. I am planning to have a pet sitter come to the house to check on BW while we are gone. We usually leave Harley at my husband's parent's house. I don't want to relocate BW that weekend because he's still getting used to everything that has happened and I don't want to stress him out even more which is why I'm leaving him home and hiring a petsitter. This is the first time I'm hiring a pet sitter so I'm hoping it all works out. I'm also getting my sister to come to check on him one of those days. So if I have Grey in the house, they'll be checking in on her too and hopefully she won't give birth!

Fourth, I researched some local shelters but haven't made a call to any yet. I will start calling them and ask them for advice.

So the other issue on my mind is OG cat aka Fat Cat. I know, he's not even fat but when we first met him a year and a half ago he used to be a plump guy.  He has been coming only once in awhile to eat. He's not looking so great lately and I'm fearful for him too. I'm hoping his health will get better as the days get warmer. This was him yesterday:

He's a beautiful cat, my husband loves him but he doesn't get along with BW :(

He's the one who used to chase BW away from the food bowls.

It looks like he's keeping his third eyelid closed more often than usual. Would anyone know why he would do this?  The left side of his face was where he got the serious wound and it looks like it healed nicely but there's still a scar and it looks like a piece of his left cheek is missing. Ever since he showed up that day with the wound, he seems to not be himself.

I contacted the TNR group again after they sent out a mass email asking all feral colony caretakers to update them on any issues going on. I wrote back explaing everything again about OG cat, about Grey's pregnancy, and how it looks like I have a total of 6 cats coming to my food bowls. That was two days ago and again no immediate reply. I just need them to answer me! Needless to say, I'm losing hope in them. I contacted three different TNR groups and they were the only ones to reply, but they don't follow through. It's very discouraging, having hope in a support group only to have it go nowhere, no advice, or no reply. Thank God I don't have those worries with this forum :)

Btw, should I start a new thread or am I still on topic? Thanks!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say you're still on topic! 

As for Oz's spraying, I'm just no good at that one, so hoping that you are getting or have already received sound advice on that issue.

I highly suspect that OG (how cute and squeezable is he?!) has a compromised immune system due to his inners showing like this.

I hope it's not due to FELV, he looks too good for it to be that, but may be FIV.

I'm trying to remember now, but he is not neutered right? So he has been in many, many scraps, and quite likely has one or the other or even both, poor guy.

He sure needs this stopped, all it's doing is making more babies, and spreading whatever it is he has to the mating partners, babies, other males.

Grey girl sure is pretty too! Looks due in about 2 weeks.

You will need to trap her, the sooner the better. 

A little insight on TNR groups and rescues.

There are plenty that are very bad about getting back to people asking for help.

When I started my rescue I swore never to let that happen, it creates a bad reputation all around. People need help, so even if unable to offer help at the time, they all deserve at least a call back stating they are unable, and offered other resources.

Not all are like this though, some including mine are very good and stay on top of the phone msgs and emails from the public, but remember they are all volunteers, most with full time jobs, so the best way to get a response is to keep calling and asking for help, but be kind and understanding about it too, it makes them want to help and will get better results.

Not that I imagine you are anything but kind! You don't strike me as impatient or rude! You'd be surprised though, people act like we get paid the big bucks and are obligated to get right on it and help them, all we can do is our best though.

So keep on them, even leaving a msg daily, since this situation is fairly urgent :) You need some help.

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707 thank you so much for your fast response. I do think OG has FIV, and I suspect he may be the one who gave it to Oz since I noticed them two not getting along at all when Oz lived outdoors. Oz used to show up with fresh scratches on his nose after being chased away by OG. God, I hope it's not FELV. He eats out of the same bowls as the other outdoor cats, including Grey. I do wash all the bowls before I put food out every morning and evening but that only helps to a point. OG is not neutered (I'm almost positive about this) he first started showing up at my house when my Harley started going into heat. He also is the one that sprays the bushes and the shelters I left outside. And he sometimes he and Grey show up at the food bowls together. Omg, I really do need to help him and Grey.

Thanks for the insight on the TNR groups, I totally would understand that. I admit, I was starting to feel frustrated almost to the point of rude that I was about to send an email saying "why aren't you answering me? HELLO!!" Haha, I wouldn't do that though...just think it!

But yes, I understand. I will try and try again to contact them and get through.  I have been thinking of renting a trap again but I'd prefer to have a group helping me. I'd feel more comfortable that way.

Too bad you are across the country!! I see you are in CA, I do miss Cali...my husband and I lived in Los Angeles for a few years and I always miss the weather!! If I was an outdoor cat, I'd want to live in Cali for sure :)

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, so the #1 issue on my mind though has been Grey. I've been thinking and doing more thinking, and contemplating, and reading, and researching all I can about pregnant cats. I read through quite a few threads here about pregnant cats. I even read your thread @Chaucer about Henryetta.

@Chaucer that is exactly how I feel right now. I've been having butterflies in my tummy for awhile now, that feeling you get when something is not right and you won't feel at peace until you fix it or make it right. That's how I feel about her. I can't stop thinking about her. It gets better when I don't see her after she leaves my house and than she shows up to eat and I feel so bad for her all over again. She's getting bigger and bigger. If I estimated correctly, I believe she is due around March 21st - 25th. I think this because my husband saw her and BW about to mate the week I took BW inside, before our blizzard. He stopped them before they did anything but they ran off so they could have tried again. That was on January 19 if I remember correctly. Even if she didn't get pregnant that day I saw her the next couple of nights show up with a another male cat. So I'm pretty sure she got pregnant that week. We didn't even know if she was a female/ male because when she came she always had her tale down and I never got a glimpse to determine correctly before she would run off. It was only when my husband caught her and BW that it was obviously confirmed.
@HarleyQ143

First, you are still on topic. I kept Orville in Henryetta's thread about caring for a feral just so I didn't repeat all the background info again. I need to update that thread.

Second, Grey is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing those photos.

Third, Henryetta got huge and appeared to be uncomfortable when she was very close to having the kittens; however, when I caught her the month before they were due, the vet's receptionist didn't feel kittens when she picked her up, so you never know. It's good that your husband saw her mating so you have a reasonable estimate of due-date. I saw Henryetta with the pale orange cat mating. (I felt like a voyeur!)  That was the only cat with whom she mated, judging by the kittens. BW may be a daddy.  If you can trap Grey, it would be wonderful. Is it possible to board her at the vet's while you are away if you explain to them your concerns? 

Fourth, About the handsome OG, Orville looked okay when I first started feeding him, but there was a time two or three months later where he started to look a lot thinner, and at that time he was getting into some altercations with other Toms somewhere based on the wounds I saw.  I wonder if that is when he contracted FIV.  He bounced back but lost his voice for a few days while he was still outside, but I don't remember him having the eyelid thing. Now, he's doing really well physically.  Take comfort in the fact that you are providing OG with nourishing food even if it is only once-in-a-while. Without you, he wouldn't even get that, and I do believe the good nutrition help keep his immune system up.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oz, I love that name! It really suits him! I'm glad the spraying is getting less as he gets more comfortable. Hopefully that trend continues! 

It's so funny how demanding he is. He definitely was meant to be in a home! Cats are nocturnal by nature, but they can adapt pretty easily to our schedules. I think Oz will settle down once he gets the hang of things and starts to understand your daughter better. He's probably never met a toddler before!

Poor Grey, she is beautiful. You will definitely need to trap her, so you can start putting her food in an unset trap so she gets used it even if you're not ready to bring her in just yet. She's shyer than Oz was of course, but completely feral adult cats will not meow at you, so that's a good sign. I'm not experienced with cat pregnancies either, though. 

I did work with my local humane society for several years, and while we always had a volunteer responsible for the phones, the quality of that person varied. If your nearby groups are anything like mine was, I would recommend finding out when they hold adoptions. They might do them at your local Petsmart or Petco on weekends, for example. There'll be more than one volunteer at these kinds of events, so you'll be more likely to find someone who really knows what they're doing. And just go in there and say you need help and explain your situation. It wouldn't hurt to let your exasperation and anxiety show through a bit quite honestly. With any luck you'll find the cat lady with 20 years of experience who would love nothing better than to talk your ear off with all sorts of advice. They might have the room or the resources to take in Grey or her kittens, especially if you offer a donation. (And sometimes you get the volunteer who can't so no to anybody and drives all the other volunteers crazy, fingers crossed!) They might even be able to help you with TNRing OG. Contact them any way you can though as soon as you can, because kitten season is starting and space will fill up quickly.

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses! After I read @catwoman707 post I wrote to the TNR group again, this time urging them about my situation and even included the photos of Fat Cat and Grey. They responded immediately! We have a meeting set up for this Sunday afternoon. They said it would be great if I can foster Grey while she has the kittens. I'm going to tell them yes, but let them know of the brief time I have to be away before her due date. I also let them know I need help in getting her into my house since she won't let me touch her. I wonder if I'll be able to bring her to the vet when she's trapped? Is that a good idea or will it stress her?

@Chaucer That's a good idea to talk to a vet about boarding, I should look into that. Omg, if those kittens end up being BW / Oz's I'm going to have a hard time giving them away. Was it hard to give away Henryetta's kitties? I would be so heart broken but there's no way I can manage having so many cats. That's so funny!! "voyeur"!! I bet thinking about your girl doing that now will offend you LOL!! When Harley was in heat she used to scream like a banshee when Fat Cat came to the window to see her. My husband used to run outside to scare him off and yell "leave my girl alone!" Mind you this used to be the guy who initially told me we couldn't take Harley when we first saw her at 5 weeks old. And this was before we had our daughter. So now he is an over protective father of 2 girls. No boys are good enough lol! But he has grew fond of Fat Cat since then and sometimes goes out to talk to him when he comes to eat at the food bowls. But thank you for your insight on Fat Cat / OG. It does help knowing that I'm at least giving him some much needed nourishment and I hope he recovers from whatever is making him feel bad at the moment. I feel so sorry thinking of when or where Orville and Oz contracted FIV, like if only the moment they were about to get bit and contract FIV would be changed. But I'm realizing that Oz's FIV has really opened my eyes up to the virus and a need to learn more about it. I now have such a deep soft spot for those cats that have FIV and FELV.

@Molly92 Thank you, Oz is short for "Oswald Cobblepot" aka "The Penguin" from the Batman comics lol. I wanted something to match with my Harley Quinn. Yes, it's funny to see him adapt in a home. The first time he came downstairs the TV was on and he freaked out at the people on the screen. He's since gotten used to it but whenever the TV is on he ducts around it as if the actors are going to come out of the screen and grab him. My daughter..oh boy LOL. He is getting used to her I think. He used to run and hide at the sight of her but now he stays at a far distance from her and doesn't hide. Just as long as she barricaded by the baby gates. It's so funny because she's the most harmless, innocent person in the house but the most scared of by him. And she doesn't know what's going on, when she sees him she waves and says "oh cat! Hi cat! Harley?"

Great idea on networking...I always end up talking to cat ladies at Petsmart in the cat food aisle so I'll start there!

I just pray that everything works out...that the TNR group can help, that I get Grey into the house and situated, that the kittens are born alive and healthy, and that Fat Cat will be able to get the medical care he needs!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is great news!!

If they are going to work with you, they will be the ones to help get the kittens fixed and adopted out, so no worries there.

They will also get mom spayed and can be released back out if she is feral.

Having a rescue to back you goes a long way!

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @catwoman707! Your advice on reaching out to them until they answer helped push me to get this result.  I will be sure to post any updates. Praying that all goes well...

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Chaucer That's a good idea to talk to a vet about boarding, I should look into that. Omg, if those kittens end up being BW / Oz's I'm going to have a hard time giving them away. Was it hard to give away Henryetta's kitties? I would be so heart broken but there's no way I can manage having so many cats. That's so funny!! "voyeur"!! I bet thinking about your girl doing that now will offend you LOL!! When Harley was in heat she used to scream like a banshee when Fat Cat came to the window to see her. My husband used to run outside to scare him off and yell "leave my girl alone!" Mind you this used to be the guy who initially told me we couldn't take Harley when we first saw her at 5 weeks old. And this was before we had our daughter. So now he is an over protective father of 2 girls. No boys are good enough lol! But he has grew fond of Fat Cat since then and sometimes goes out to talk to him when he comes to eat at the food bowls. But thank you for your insight on Fat Cat / OG. It does help knowing that I'm at least giving him some much needed nourishment and I hope he recovers from whatever is making him feel bad at the moment. I feel so sorry thinking of when or where Orville and Oz contracted FIV, like if only the moment they were about to get bit and contract FIV would be changed. But I'm realizing that Oz's FIV has really opened my eyes up to the virus and a need to learn more about it. I now have such a deep soft spot for those cats that have FIV and FELV.
After I'd been caring for and feeding seven cats,, which included the five kittens, for over three months, I was glad they all found good homes. The last kitten I had for 4.5 months until my friends from Texas could come get her. Miss Honeychurch, and my friends kept her name, helped Henryetta not mourn the kittens who had been adopted. I think when Miss H went home to Texas though  Henryetta was kind of glad. Miss H still liked to snack-nurse and Henryetta being such a good mother would let her.   Being outside at the time of her heat, I never heard Henryetta howling, but "Tom," the pale orange male, was always right there. Orville acts like this with Henryetta. he's never far from her unless they are sleeping.  

About surrendering mothers and their kittens: When I lived in Texas, two cats came into my yard and both were pregnant. The neighbors said someone down the street had moved out and abandoned them. They were eating chicken from trash bags left out for pickup. They were sweet kitties. I already had a cat and I knew my husband would not want more animals so I made up a box for the cats and put food and water out until I could decide what to do while my husband was on a business trip. One of the cats had kittens within a day or two, not in the box but on the ground next to to the privacy fence. I remember rushing out there, wearing potholder mitts and scooping up all the newborn kittens and putting them in an unused ice chest and then getting the mother, who had run for the food dish, into that chest and taking them all to the shelter. I came back for the other pregnant cat. The shelter thought they were mine because I was crying so much and apologizing for bringing them. This was years ago and I have no idea if that was a high-kil shelter. It was just the only one I could find in the directory.

I agree about the wishful thinking. I am always thinking "what if I'd screwed up my courage and brought Orville in before I started seeing those wounds!" 

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree about the wishful thinking. I am always thinking "what if I'd screwed up my courage and brought Orville in before I started seeing those wounds!" 
We all have these thoughts and regrets.

Mine is if I had only TNR'd that sweet teenaged boy in my colony Buddy, when I knew he needed to be done, rather than put it off due to being busy, then found him with torn up, blinded eyes wandering and crying in the parking lot.

I had to have him euthanized too, because they were infected so badly by the time he appeared and I found him.

It's been about 3 years now and I still can't let it go. I am responsible for this happening to him, all that unimaginable pain and suffering he went through was caused by me.

While I would tell another rescuer, we do our best but sometimes it's not enough, I eat those words about Buddy and have so much guilt and remorse in my heart.

Funny, the numbers of cats and kittens I have rescued/healed/saved/recovered/rehomed is enormous, countless, including many, many tnr's of ferals, making their lives count, and so much better. Yet the very small number I have lost or got to too late, or couldn't save, that pain in my heart outweighs all of the ones I did save.

Sad but true.

There are always "if I had only" 's. 

What you are doing now is literally saving his life. Giving one life meaning and value he would never have had without you.

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I'm in the process of trapping Grey and Fat Cat.  The TNR group dropped the traps off to me on Sunday. I'm ready to trap both today. When my husband left for work an hour ago, Fat Cat was already at the porch waiting for food. I went to prepare the food to set it in the trap and just when I'm about to go outside my front door, Grey showed up! Now they are both here at the same time, sitting on my porch, waiting for food! I have no idea what I should do now, I'm worried that if I set both traps up and one gets caught first, the other will not enter the other trap at all. Or how about if they both get caught in the same trap!? Should I just the trapping? Please help! I actually started another thread about this since I need help quick..

@catwoman707 any advice on this? I cannot get in touch with the lady I'm working with at the TNR group.

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707

I'm so sorry about Buddy and thank you for sharing your story about him. I am very admirable and appreciative with rescue workers such as yourself, I just rescued my first stray cat and all that emotional stress it took me to do it was tough (but rewarding!) so hats off to you and bless you for being able to help and save hundreds of these cats!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi there,

I'm in the process of trapping Grey and Fat Cat.  The TNR group dropped the traps off to me on Sunday. I'm ready to trap both today. When my husband left for work an hour ago, Fat Cat was already at the porch waiting for food. I went to prepare the food to set it in the trap and just when I'm about to go outside my front door, Grey showed up! Now they are both here at the same time, sitting on my porch, waiting for food! I have no idea what I should do now, I'm worried that if I set both traps up and one gets caught first, the other will not enter the other trap at all. Or how about if they both get caught in the same trap!? Should I just the trapping? Please help! I actually started another thread about this since I need help quick..

@catwoman707 any advice on this? I cannot get in touch with the lady I'm working with at the TNR group.
Do you need to trap them today? If you can wait a day, I'd unset both the traps so they won't get trapped and feed them inside the traps for right now, and then set them for a later feeding when you feel confident they won't see each other.

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks @Molly92, I did just that. Fat Cat looks really bad so I was desperate to trap him as soon as I can but I am just going to have to postpone it. It might take longer to trap him, I placed the food inside and he didn't budge. So I placed the food right at the opening of the trap and he still didn't move until after about 10 min he finally approached the trap cautiously and is eating right now. His inner eyelids are covering up half his eyes and his mouth seems like it's puckered up, as if he's thirsty, but I've been adding water to his wet food when he comes to eat so I'm not sure why he looks like this :(

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor boy. I don't think there's too much you can do until he's trapped and you get him to a vet. You're going about it the right way, putting the food closer to the opening and then pushing it back bit by bit until he's comfortable to go all the way in. The good news is he's still eating, because lack of appetite is a sign of severity for many illnesses. No matter what happens, remember that you have already made the lives of these cats better than they would have been and you are doing all that you can!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi there,

Okay, so the traps must not be seen from each other, once one is trapped and others witness, it scares them off, which you want to avoid.

Use tuna in water, cheapie brand like chicken of the sea or an off brand, the water carries the smell all over the place so not just the tuna, keep the juice too.

If one or the other is there alone, then use that chance to trap the one.

Get him covered immediately with a towel so he stops thrashing around. The towel cover calms instantly.

If you are not sure of how exactly to do this, don't trap until you are ready.

If it gets blown it will be very hard to get that cat trapped again.

The first thing is, or at least what I would do is to clean the scents off of the traps.

People, even in rescue, don't always clean in between, and the scents of the last trapped cat is left behind, and cats smell the fear and adrenaline on the trap and know it's not good.

Just any spray household cleaner, saturate, hose off and let dry.

That's all.

Use tuna in a small dish at the very back, then dribble tuna juice and tiny pieces like a trail leading to the dish of tuna.

They will follow it right in.

Be SURE that back sliding door on the trap is latched! My very first trapping I did not, and as I rushed to the trapped cat, he flipped that door up and was gone! So I learned the hard way and lost that one :(

If you have both there at the same time I would not trap, feed a very small amt, one will show back up and can be trapped then, alone.

No witnesses!

harleyq143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @catwoman707! Very helpful advice. I did postpone the trapping today and will set it back again first thing in the morning. I just hope they don't show up together again. I wasn't able to clean the cages or get tuna today so if they don't fall for the trap in the morning, I'm going to clean the cage & hopefully get a can of tuna.  I have exactly a week left to trap them before I leave for my business trip so I'm getting pretty anxious.

Thank you @Molly92, it's a bit nerve racking knowing I have to try and get these two cats as soon as possible. I find myself needing to calm down and breath a bit. But you're right, it helps to be reminded that I'm doing what I can to help them. I keep second guessing myself again!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you @catwoman707! Very helpful advice. I did postpone the trapping today and will set it back again first thing in the morning. I just hope they don't show up together again. I wasn't able to clean the cages or get tuna today so if they don't fall for the trap in the morning, I'm going to clean the cage & hopefully get a can of tuna.  I have exactly a week left to trap them before I leave for my business trip so I'm getting pretty anxious.

Thank you @Molly92, it's a bit nerve racking knowing I have to try and get these two cats as soon as possible. I find myself needing to calm down and breath a bit. But you're right, it helps to be reminded that I'm doing what I can to help them. I keep second guessing myself again!
Stop second guessing yourself!! You're doing a great job!!  

You will get them, it's not hard.

Just need to be ready, trap set up in a good spot, if you do want to set both traps you can, but they need to be out of sight from each other too, not sure how the area is for that.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707   I'm so sorry about Buddy. You have saved so very many, but I know you wish you could have saved others.

@HarleyQ143   It's hard to know what to do, but I think it will all work out.  For my two semi-feral rescues, I was able to wait it out until they were ready to come inside so I didn't need traps, but in this case the sooner the better for both cats of yours. However, if you don't get one or both trapped, at least know that you are given them care that they wouldn't otherwise receive.so try not to worry. It will be what it's supposed to be.