I just lost it at work!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, just need a little support and maybe some hugs. I just totally lost it with one of my coworkers about a cat issue. Came in this morning to an email from colleague outside the office who's looking for a home for her 7-year-old cat. She's moving to a condo and has to live someplace else temporarily until its finished and can't keep the cat with her.

I was so tempted to fire off an email to her that would have been judgemental rather than helpful, that I mentioned the situation to my coworker first. I thought she'd be undertanding based on past conversations we'd had about pets. Boy, was I wrong! She didn't understand my concern about the email and said, "What's the big deal? So, she has to move and has to get rid of her cat. People do it all the time."

That's when I went off on her. Told it's wrong, irresponsible and I'm sick of hearing about cases like this. I did apologize and told her I wasn't at angry at her, but the situation. Then, I had to walk away to calm down. Still working on it. Unfortunately a couple of other people in the office also heard the exchange, so this will definitely confirm what they already suspect about me being a crazy cat lady.

In the meantime, I did respond to the initial email with some suggestions and offer to help. I also said that I felt it was a shame she had to give up her cat just because she's moving and that I'd never consider that a reason to give up mine. Judgemental maybe, but I really don't care at this point.

Anyway, the fact that I lost it, especially at work, really concerns me. How unprofessional is that? I'm usually better at keeping my emotions in check.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think you should feel bad at all. These people need to knwo that cats are not disposable. Maybe they will think about their actions now!!

meowsas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh so you are Human. Never mind you lost it.
It is a terrible thing to do. what about a cattery while she has to be in the temp accomadation?!
Our cats are members of the famiy. that is why its so terrible to us. other people don't treat their animals so well.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Brandi, cats or any other pets are not disposible!- your not a crazy cat lady either!
You are so kind hearted and caring, that you can't help but feel this way.

I totally understand where your coming from

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

I can understand your frustrations Eileen

Can i ask, is she a nun like yourself?.
Nope. She's really a nice lady, which is why I feel so bad.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. If you're usually composed and professional at work, then one disagreement shouldn't hurt. Besides, your argument was completely founded..The poor kitty, its owner doesn't love it enough to keep it no matter what.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

How people can just switch off their feelings for their animals is beyond me?!

I bonded with my two as soon as i made eye contact with them
I don't understand that either Susan

I obviously fell in love with Harley the moment I saw him, and our new little kitten, well - that little one stole my heart already as well, I just don't understand how people can just get rid of their pets like its some kind of decoration!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will never ever leave my two behind!
even if move country! and thats a bigger step than moving house!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I probably would have lost it myself. Yes, it probably wasn't best you did it at work, but at least it wasn't one of the bosses. I think we all have all had those moments at work where we have lost it for a little bit. People will buzz about it a little for the day, then it will all die down. It was good that you didn't lose it on the woman in the email.
I also don't understand how you can bring a pet into your life and then dispose of it. When I lost Molly, it really hurt. It still does sometimes. It is just unfathomable to me just giving up your pet.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew you guys would understand. I just don't buy the "I'm moving" excuse. When I moved from Belgium (where I adopted Katie) back to the states, there was no question that she would come with me. We've moved several times since then and it's never been a problem. This excuse bothers me more than any other. Just hear it way too often.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't blame you one bit Eileen. I've had things like that happen to me as well. My cats are my kids and I'd live in my car before I'd give them up!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not blame you one bit.
I do not buy the "I'm moving" excuse either.

She knew she'd be moving, she had plenty of time in advance to find a pet friendly condo/apt to move to.

The only time I've rehomed due to moving was completely different circumstances.
I had a house bunny and lost my apartment.
I had to move back home and my mom is terribly allergic to rabbit fur, Bun had always been a housepet and I didn't feel it was fair to her to keep her caged outdoors.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eileen! lots of
I know exactly how you feel
I have many people around me who do not understand that animals are not, like Brandi said, disposable. It's a daily struggle not to give them a piece of my mind!
sometimes I fail, but this is a subject that were are passionate about! just because "people do it all the time" doesn't make it ok!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am lucky in that all my coworkers are animal lovers, we are all cat crazy (except for one guy who is just a sales guy who told me paying for Scullys operation was a waste of good money
but thankfully he isn't in the office much)

One of my interns however (upon me mentioning to someone else about the cats shedding lots lately) said she would get rid of them if they were making that much of a mess because it would be embarassing if people came over and the place 'looked dirty'

Some people just don't get it

But don't worry, they will just put it down to you being a crazy cat lady and probably wont remember next week

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally understandable! It really sounds like something I would of done, only I probly wouldnt have apologized-lol. You are NOT a crazy cat lady either!!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the support you guys!
You make me proud to be a "crazy cat lady."

Get this - the woman who originally contacted me about finding a home for her cat just emailed me again. She said my response to her email is causing her to reconsider and she wants to look at altneratives that will allow her to keep him!
So, I'll help her with this and see what we can do!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Thanks for the support you guys!
You make me proud to be a "crazy cat lady."

Get this - the woman who originally contacted me about finding a home for her cat just emailed me again. She said my response to her email is causing her to reconsider and she wants to look at altneratives that will allow her to keep him!
So, I'll help her with this and see what we can do!
mission accomplished!! The crazy cat lady triumphs again!!!!!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get it either...how can you just give away your baby? I mean, can't you find temporary housing for your kitty as well? Even if it's not with you, like maybe with another friend, or a neighbor, or someone just until you get moved into the new place??? People are so cruel....poor kitty, just being throw away like a piece of furniture you don't want in the new house...