I JUST CAUGHT HAZEL - Now What?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I just caught Hazel Mae a few minutes ago and put her in Smokey's carrier. We set up a shelter for Hazel a few weeks ago outside but the Canadian whether is brutal. Snow, ice, and crazy cold! Because of this, Hazel started to come inside when we fed her but we couldn't get too close. We've been feeding her inside for 3 days now, slowly gaining her trust. Today, she was a bit hesitant  but I finally got her to step inside. I hid behind the door and when her whole body was in, I slammed it shut. She jumped up on the curtains and railing and was hissing and spitting but she became submissive after and walked into the carrier. She's currently in the basement with the other cats because she knows them and they don't fight with her. 

I have no idea what to do right now. I'm still so shocked. I'm nervous. My mom isn't home yet. I don't want Hazel to escape again. I need to do everything right this time Please help!

MOD NOTE:  there is more of the background of Hazel's story in this thread:   http://www.thecatsite.com/t/320801/mother-still-outside-what-should-i-do/90

Last edited by a moderator:

crimsonwings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's great that you caught her. If you haven't yet, your first step should be to take her to the vet and get her spayed and have her vaccinations. If she likes your cats, that will be very helpful for taming her, because she will see that your cats aren't afrsid of you. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's great that you caught her. If you haven't yet, your first step should be to take her to the vet and get her spayed and have her vaccinations. If she likes your cats, that will be very helpful for taming her, because she will see that your cats aren't afrsid of you. Good luck!
She's already spayed and up to date on vaccinations. It's a long story from another thread. I was just hoping to find some advice now on how to being the taming process, cage setting, food, litter, etc.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she a feral cat, or semi-feral, or a stray? It may take longer to socialize her if she's a feral and over a year old.
You are doing a great thing taking her into your home, and it's wonderful news that she's been spayed and that she feels comfortable with your other cats. You've already accomplished the hardest parts!

Patience is the key. Give her time and space, but also spend some time each day sitting close by and speaking to her in a soft voice. Also interact with your other cats in front of her so she can see how comfortable they are with you--"copy cat" isn't just a phrase, it really occurs. Play with your other cats in front of her with a wand toy and laser toy. Giver her food treats. Let her come to you--don't try to rush the process by caging her and forcing her to eat from your hand, or scruffing her or wrapping her like a burrito in a blanket. Some people use those techniques if they're trying to break a feral kitten to socialize them enough to go into another home, but if you're keeping this kitty, give it the time it takes for her to approach you on her own terms and the bond of trust will be stronger and deeper with less trauma involved during the process.

There is always a challenging period of adjustment for any new cat taken into a home, ferals just take more patience and time. I wouldn't let her outside again unless it becomes clear, in the weeks to come, that she can't adjust to indoor only life. There are some ferals (usually males over the age of one) who can't be confined inside, and who will caterwaul, scale windows and walls, and cry incessantly--basically go nuts if kept indoors. But most female cats and young cats will adjust well after a period of anxiety and adjustment. Right now you are providing her a warm and safe environment, so you are doing a great thing for her even if she can't fully appreciate it right now. The more relaxed you are with her, the more relaxed she will feel. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree.  You dont need to rush things, you are in a perfect fostering position, and yours other cats will be a good help in the process.

Also, you taking her in the midst of a harsh winter, will too help you alot.   She ist not stupid, she understands inside is more comfortable than the outside.  Once she had landed from the first violent feat.  As you self witnessed.   As long as you give her necessary leeway, she will copy and try to adapt...

It may even qo quicker than we think!

Ps.  Its fully possible her first violent reaction wasnt really for realizing she is now captured, but probably most because of the slamming of the door!   Even your friendly residents would probably fly in full galoppe away if you slammed the door near them.  Mine would!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a very good point, Stefan. The sound of a door slamming shut, or any other loud sound, is very distressing to cats. She was likely reacting to bring startled than from worrying about being closed indoors.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to help you understand the situation better, let me start from the beginning.

Felix and Hazel are siblings. 6 years ago, when my mom took in Felix as a kitten, he had a calico sister. Most if not all of his siblings ended up in shelters or died because after they grow from the "cute kitten" phase, their owners didn't want them anymore. Hazel was abandoned a few years ago by the person that took her in as a kitten and she adopted feral like tendencies but she is most definitely not feral. I rescued her kittens a few months ago and they are living happily with my brother and his family. I couldn't catch Hazel for the longest time because the first time I caught her, she was kept in the humane trap and spayed, then, locked inside a cage which was traumatizing to say the least. She escaped from my house shortly after but kept coming back. 

My mom and I were having a serious discussion after about what we want to do with her. I'd like to keep her but my mom's only concern is that we won't be able to support another cat financially. After Felix got sick, she's been very weary of taking Hazel in. But Hazel Mae has become a part of our family. Ever since I saw that she was pregnant, looked after her kittens, and then looked after her. I feel like it would only be right to have her as my own. Hazel and Felix get along well. I don't know if they recognize each other but it sure seems like it.

I was thinking about posting an ad online and sharing my story. Maybe people would like to donate used cat supplies. Whether it be a can of food, a carrier, a cage, a collar, or brush, anything. But I don't know.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a very good point, Stefan. The sound of a door slamming shut, or any other loud sound, is very distressing to cats. She was likely reacting to bring startled than from worrying about being closed indoors.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking straight at the moment. I was afraid that the squeaking of the door would make her run so I slammed it. 

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Hazel ruthlessly tries to escape at night time. She hasn't used the litter box yet and sometimes I can pet her but other times, she doesn't want it. How do I get her to use the litter box? When will she stop trying to escape?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hazel ruthlessly tries to escape at night time. She hasn't used the litter box yet and sometimes I can pet her but other times, she doesn't want it. How do I get her to use the litter box? When will she stop trying to escape?
this she refuses sometimes to be petted, is actually a good sign.  this means, when she DOES allows you to pet her, its voluntary.   :)   Even if its probably not her favorite pastime, but she does accept this.

I mean, with freshy taken semi-ferales, there is always the possibility being submissive and letting you pet her, is sheer survival strategy...    But as long we KNOW she is courageous enough to refuse of she doesnt want, everything is OK.

Re not using the litter.  It isnt uncommon a freshly taken in shy cat hides perhaps under the sofa, and sits still there even fully 48 hours or even slightly more.  Before daring to come out and do their physiological needs...

If you have a Feliway adapter, its good.  Or Feliway spray.   Calming and relaxing music is good.   Classical harp music is best, but almost any will do.  On youtube you can find suitable music.  There are long sessions recorded for cats.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

this she refuses sometimes to be petted, is actually a good sign.  this means, when she DOES allows you to pet her, its voluntary.   :)   Even if its probably not her favorite pastime, but she does accept this.

I mean, with freshy taken semi-ferales, there is always the possibility being submissive and letting you pet her, is sheer survival strategy...    But as long we KNOW she is courageous enough to refuse of she doesnt want, everything is OK.

Re not using the litter.  It isnt uncommon a freshly taken in shy cat hides perhaps under the sofa, and sits still there even fully 48 hours or even slightly more.  Before daring to come out and do their physiological needs...

If you have a Feliway adapter, its good.  Or Feliway spray.   Calming and relaxing music is good.   Classical harp music is best, but almost any will do.  On youtube you can find suitable music.  There are long sessions recorded for cats.
I see. Alright. I'll keep that in mind. My mom asked me this morning if I had moved the cage and I didn't. Apparently Hazel tried really hard last night. Some of the wire was bent. I don't know if my makeshift cage will hold up. She also scrapped up all the towel and spilled her water. She's calm with Felix but I can't let her out because the last time, she climbed the curtains and almost fell to her death.

Would catnip work too?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I see. Alright. I'll keep that in mind. My mom asked me this morning if I had moved the cage and I didn't. Apparently Hazel tried really hard last night. Some of the wire was bent. I don't know if my makeshift cage will hold up. She also scrapped up all the towel and spilled her water. She's calm with Felix but I can't let her out because the last time, she climbed the curtains and almost fell to her death.

Would catnip work too?
catnip is sooner exciting them up than calming...   So IF you try, so just a little.

Still, it MAY be worth a try.  If she gets fancy in catnip, she may perhaps want to stay because of this reason...   :)

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I rubbed her cheeks yesterday and she purred like there is no tomorrow. But my dad said she was crying all night and she's very upset today since she didn't find a way to escape. I went near her but she hissed and growled at me. I'm trying to come up with a week by week plan to get her to slowly warm up to me but I don't know how to go about it. I hope purring was a good sign.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her purring is a great sign. She's very disoriented right now. How much space does she have in the house now?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sick right now and don't have the energy to bend down and measure it but it's not that big. It's a makeshift cage I put together. Didn't think I would have caught her that day so I wasn't prepared. It's about 60" x 20" or something like that. Just a rough estimate.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral cats hate confinement so it will be good to get her out of the cage as soon as possible. Remove the curtains from the windows so she can have a safe space in her room. How old is Hazel? One reality you may need to face is that many ferals over the age of one year old will not adjust to indoor life only, ever. They will be stressed and and never cease to try to escape. If you provide a pet house that contains an outdoor heating pad inside of it, she will do fine. Time will tell whether or not she can adjust to life indoors only. If she is young and not a true feral she may adjust, only time will tell. Try to get her out of the cage and into a safe room and see if she settles down.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral cats hate confinement so it will be good to get her out of the cage as soon as possible. Remove the curtains from the windows so she can have a safe space in her room. How old is Hazel? One reality you may need to face is that many ferals over the age of one year old will not adjust to indoor life only, ever. They will be stressed and and never cease to try to escape. If you provide a pet house that contains an outdoor heating pad inside of it, she will do fine. Time will tell whether or not she can adjust to life indoors only. If she is young and not a true feral she may adjust, only time will tell. Try to get her out of the cage and into a safe room and see if she settles down.
Umm... she's not a feral cat. Definitely not. She's Felix's sister making her the exact same age as him (6 years old). She can't have a room to herself because my parents would never agree to that and we don't have space. She's fine in the cage in the basement with my other cats. It's where she is most comfortable. Giving her too much space would encourage hiding and fearfulness.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try reincorporating her into your room? That way she would be around people.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try reincorporating her into your room? That way she would be around people.
I could but there's always someone in the basement. The cats aren't locked away. They come and go as they please. I managed to get her to eat out of my hand a while ago. I'll be finished school by Friday. Then, I'll have 3 weeks to work with her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Umm... she's not a feral cat. Definitely not. She's Felix's sister making her the exact same age as him (6 years old). She can't have a room to herself because my parents would never agree to that and we don't have space. She's fine in the cage in the basement with my other cats. It's where she is most comfortable. Giving her too much space would encourage hiding and fearfulness.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You had mentioned in various recent posts that she was crying all night, very upset because she couldn't find a way to escape the other day, that she had hissed and growled at you, and that the wire of her cage was bent from her trying to escape. Whether or not she's a stray or semi-feral, those behaviors are usually indicators that a cat is stressed and upset at being confined in a cage. And if she was previously more at ease coming inside and going back outside, that's something you might consider allowing her to continue to do. Each cat is very different and has different needs.

Last edited: