I just acquired a new cat. what gender?

swaggieyolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it’s a neutered male. Most of my family thinks it’s a female.
26D51546-36A5-4D10-82B5-477FBE796143.jpeg
9E92F3F6-0D9E-4F49-82E3-BFB65CC2C3DC.png

Thank you!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to see in the picture because of his fur color but I think it’s a neutered male. But since he or she is a newcomer to your family best to get her/him in to the vet for a check over and to confirm the gender. If female you want to find out if she has already been spayed and if not get it done.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah for you for giving this gorgeous furry one a home! I'm a little late to this thread - - -but hopefully you took susanm9006 susanm9006 's suggestion and got him/her into a vet. With adults (with the definite exception of unneutered males - THOSE you can tell! :) ), it's hard to tell, especially with so much dark fur. Unless you get him/her at a shelter (which I'm doubting, because they would have had info on whether she's a she or he's a he), he should see a vet anyway as soon as you can. You want to make sure he/she's completely up on shots (rabies is critical!), that he/she gets a good once-over to make sure there aren't any unexpected health issues, that he/she gets checked out for parasites, etc. (since I'm sure you don't want fleas in the house!), and if he IS a she, that she be spayed as soon as possible so that you don't have more unexpected mouths to feed.:eek2:

Keep us posted as to how your new furry family does - and glad you're here (andhopefully next time we can weigh in with more definitive answers!)