I hope I am doing the right thing.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: A new home !!!!! Ok - this is just wonderful news :D.... Start feeding in the crate right away !!! And just sit in there when she goes in to eat. Let her eat quite a few times in the crate coming in and out. This will help her down the road too as she will have a good first experienced with the carrier. On the day they come to take her. Feed her in the crate and when she goes in to eat. Quietly close the door. I don't know if they are coming this weekend so you might not have much time to acclimate her to the carrier. But do try anyway. I am so happy to hear this news though. I am sure this kitten will have a wonderful, happy life because of YOU :heart3: :heart3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tonight the family called and they have changed their mind about adopting her.  They were concerned about her not going into the carrier.  I explained at great length yesterday when they were here the history of these special cats.  In my mind, they have come so far.  They come to greet me when I walk into the room, they are letting me pet them, not constantly but a good bit of time.

As I have written when I started this thread, I have felt such guilt about them living in one room.  I was so excited the last of the younger kittens would finally find her forever home.    I will be praying the perfect home comes along for her, and the others although I know in my heart the older ones are not ready just yet.     

My husband has been so understanding of me bringing them home, we were already at our limit.    But he said they will just stay with us until the right fit comes along for all of them.  The weather here is nasty and I am relieved they are inside safe and warm and all together.

I must sound like I am crazy, I worry about the two still outside and I worry about the ones I brought home.   I can only hope that as much as I would always try to help out a kitty in need, the next time it isn't ten at one time!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: YOU have a WONDERFUL heart :heart3: and so does you husband :nod:. I am sorry about those people backing out BUT..... they were not the right home then. If they could not be understanding about the kitten's fears of the carrier then they would not be understanding in other more important issues. So this was for the best IMO. I know another home will come along - the right home this time. Someone who is willing to be patient and give the kitten much time to socialize and acclimate to them.

I know this was a lot for you to take on. You have gone far above and beyond for these kitties, more than most would. :hugs: I know it is hard on your heart - worrying about the other two cats. Try not to worry so - they will be fine and you have to take this one step at a time - once you can place these kittens in homes then you can concentrate on the other two cats. You are doing the best that you can within your limits. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

mieshasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KRZ,  I think you are doing a wonderful thing and you are so lucky to have an understanding husband!! I brought in a 3 year old feral about 3 weeks ago that had an injured tail. My Vet was incredibly generous by fixing his tail and neutering him for nothing!  But I'm having little luck so far socializing him.  You're doing great!  I have two more ferals outside that I feed also that I'm going to catch and neuter or spay.  You had 10!!  You are a very generous and special cat person!  Maybe we can compare notes and help each other out with our experiences with these cats. The 2 older ones you haven't caught yet, are you going to try socializing them?  Well, good luck finding forever homes for your kitties!  And don't feel guilty!! You are doing a wonderful thing!!!!      Cathy.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you again for the encouragement. I have a peace about that family not taking the kitten, I can't really explain it. I just wanted her in her forever home so I could work with the older ones. But she is happy with them. I am beginning to pet the shyest one, he is a gorgeous orange tabby I call Bailey. He is now greeting me with his tail up when I come into the room.:clap:

The newest kitty brought in last week is already coming out to eat in front of me and last night was beginning to play with the others. I just ordered a cat tree for them, they love to look out of the window and watch the birds.

Although I always fret over them being in one room, I find myself looking forward to going in every evening and spending time with them. I go in several times a day, But the evenings are for a much longer time. We listen to Delilah and just interact. It is amazing to me the different personalities each of them has.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap: Keep up the GREAT work! You are a cat champion and a saint for what you are doing for these babies. Just good news all around. Don't worry one bit about them being in that room, really :hugs::hugs:. Much better there than somewhere else...... :nod: AND you are getting them a cat tree to watch birds and climb on! Perfect and those are very lucky babies :heart3: More :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for continued progress!!!!! ;)

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a suggestion of something you can do if you're worried about the cats not having enough space - give them more space to move around on above ground by putting up long shelves the length of the walls around the whole room. You can put them at different heights so that they can jump up and down on them. Some cats also feel much more comfortable if they can be high up off the ground. I think that's especially the case with ferals and shy cats because they feel more in control when they can see the whole room. It's like in the wild when they sit in trees so they can see when the predator is coming. And the jumping up and down will give them some exercise. If you glue some carpeting on the surface on the shelves they can scratch on them too and they won't be slippery. You can do the whole project pretty cheap too.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that great suggestion!