I hit a deer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeling much much better this morning, but not looking forward to dealing with the insurance company today.
Although I do have to admit my agent is a small town agent and has always been very helpful.

Now - do you want to hear something sick?? I told my X-boyfriend about it last night (as we are still very good friends) and he asked me to save the deer hair for his father.
His father fly fishes and during the winter when he can't fish he makes his own flys. It's a real art from what I've seen, but he says his father would love to have the deer hair stuck to my bumper. I told him if he wants it he can come get it.

And I just saw an e-mail from him go out to his father.

"Dad, Lisa collected some deer hair for you -- the hard way" and he attached a picture of my front bumper

(At least he can make me laugh about this now)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! Glad you're OK. I grazed a moose once, but didn't damage the car.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about hitting the deer.
I would have freaked out. I ran over a Opposum one time and ended up having to pull over because I was crying to bad. Just the thought of taking somthing life like that. I know most people dont like Opposums but I was raised up helping raise them for my local wildlife center. And my parents currently have 2 that werent releasable. So all I could think of was Minnie and Belles (my parents oposums). Seeing there little faces and then hearing the crunch. I still cant get that sound out of my head.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

That's what I'm worried about......

How horrible was the whole insurance deal? Did they cover it? My dad says they will, but there's a lot of damage and I'm freaking out about the cost right before Christmas.
I was originally thinking that it was just the body of the car (hood, bumper, grill, left panel, etc), but my X-husband took a peek under the bent hood and he says the air filter he can see is popped off.
Not sure what else under there might be a mess too. (And the car is only a year old with 17K miles on it!!)

I do have to say though, that I am also very lucky because my annual inspection sticker on my car expired in November and I completely forgot to renew it. I did it this morning!! Phew! That's a moving violation where I live.
Air filter is no biggie, most of the hose and the filter itself is rubber and plastic and components are pretty cheap. Your car can even function without one temporarily just fine. What I would worry about though is the radiator. Radiators are extremely fragile and are almost always mounted right smack in the front of the car behind the bumper. Leaky radiator = overheated (a.k.a. dead) engine. Would also check the battery for damage pronto, leaky batteries will burn holes in your frame, not to mention potentially wreck havoc to any electronics and hoses.

You didn't kill the deer? Tsk tsk, what a pity, you could've been dining on fresh venison! (sorry... I love venison).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Air filter is no biggie, most of the hose and the filter itself is rubber and plastic and components are pretty cheap. Your car can even function without one temporarily just fine. What I would worry about though is the radiator. Radiators are extremely fragile and are almost always mounted right smack in the front of the car behind the bumper. Leaky radiator = overheated (a.k.a. dead) engine. Would also check the battery for damage pronto, leaky batteries will burn holes in your frame, not to mention potentially wreck havoc to any electronics and hoses.

You didn't kill the deer? Tsk tsk, what a pity, you could've been dining on fresh venison! (sorry... I love venison).
Venison - yuck! If you want it - I can tell you where there's a deer that probably will be very easy to catch right now

As for the car - It appears that I have no leaks which is very good. So I don't think the radiator was damaged (since I also did drive it home and again last night and it wasn't even getting remotely warm). Also there is no evidence of any liquids in my driveway at all which is very promising.
Thanks for the advice though!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did an early morning paper route, I could have hit one almost every night if I wanted to (if I had a truck, I may have, I like venison, but could shoot one, and probley could mow one down on purpose either)
Just recently I had one run into the side of me, I tried to swerve but a car was comming, so it hit my passanger door, it had a small scratch, and moved my mirror.
I have hit and killed a couple before though. One was little, I felt, kind of bad, but I had the cop tag it, and my brother cleaned it, so I felt bad, but full.
I have almost hit moose, that is very scary!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how ya feel!!! Hitting a deer is soooo horrible!!
I hit one a few yrs ago in the SUMMER(July). It just popped outta know where. And I was going about 65....totalled my car!! But of course insurance didnt think so
So I had to pay a deductible and wait like a month for my car to get fixed. Last year my brother and his wife hit a deer in her car and that thing landed in their back seat!! That was REALLY scary for them. And it did total her car.....
Best of luck to ya sweetie.