I have to say goodbye to my cats :(

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what sort of replies have you had from craigslist? are there replies that you could follow up? possible homes? I know you might be worried about those people, but what other options do you have at this point? I think you should follow up on those replies and see if any seem good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am following up with some.. i am going to call there references on monday. and there vet as well.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is tis Craigslist that keeps being mentioned?

STLGRL5................you're welcome.I pray you can find homes for them soon.Again, I'm sorry you even have to think of rehomeing any of them

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by touro1979

I wouldn't lay down so quickly. Hire an attorney who will represent you in the matter. When people get lawyers authorities tend to back down. You may be able to get a TRO (temporary restraining order) so you will not have to remove them until the initial hearing where you can seek a preliminery injunction that lasts through out the lawsuit. If you hire a lawyer there is a good chance that the city will back down because they will not to spend money on something like this. Don't let the city push you around, hire a lawyer.
EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! You could try to find the legal aid in your area, or even try the Public Defender's office and see if there are any contract public defenders in any of the counties nearby (that means that they take cases on contract with the hiring county, and still take private cases) who will at least advise you of how the legal system would work. For instance, what does your paperwork say? What is the deadline? If you fail to comply, what are the consequences? What are the exceptions to compliance? What exactly do you need to do to get a fanciers/boarder's license?
IF you have trouble finding a lawyer, you could call the Animal Defense League Fund Legal Hotline @ 800-555-6517; Missouri Bar Association at 573-635-4128 and see if they give anymore advice.
As for payment, many lawyers will work with you regarding payment. It may help if you can put this forth as a homeowner's rights case, which it is.
I will pray for you that you find a good attorney to help you; maybe one like my husband who would do a trade - maybe you could feed & water dogs while the atty. takes the spouse for a quick weekend getaway. Or maybe you make crafts for them, offer to help plan their flower garden, or could offer music lessons to the kids, etc. Or maybe your siblings would donate a visit to their timshare - you'd be amazed at what my husband has worked for! Rare books, used cars, help splitting firewood, getting a toilet unplugged, a stay in a New Mexico condo, a stay in a Hawaii condo, etc.
It all works!
We don't get rich, but we enjoy life!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't lay down so quickly. Hire an attorney who will represent you in the matter. When people get lawyers authorities tend to back down. You may be able to get a TRO (temporary restraining order) so you will not have to remove them until the initial hearing where you can seek a preliminery injunction that lasts through out the lawsuit. If you hire a lawyer there is a good chance that the city will back down because they will not to spend money on something like this. Don't let the city push you around, hire a lawyer.
I think this is a very good suggestion.

Legally, animals are property. You have the right per the Constitution to own as much property as you can afford. No one has the right to say how many houses or computers or coffee mugs you may own. Animals are no different. As long as you can provide proper care for them and they are not creating a nuisance or health hazard, no one has the right to tell you how many you can have.

I say fight, fight, fight. These laws exist almost everywhere and do nothing but turn law-abiding citizens and good Samaritans into outlaws.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read this and it breaks my heart. I have 6 cats and could not imagine giving any of them up. Good luck to you and don't give up the fight! I do not think that they should be able to tell you how many cats you can have if they are well taken care of!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I found homes for 2 of them. I am just trying to find a home for a 5 yr male kitty.. He's a tough one lol

otisbird

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is good information. Even if it's only a friend with letterhead that says they are an attorney. If you own your own home they have no right to tell you how many cats you can have, especially if they are indoors. Put up a fight!!!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this is awful! Won't anyone from your agency take some of your kits while you try to fight this?

Whatever happens short-term, you definitely need to get involved in the politics in your town, and fight to change this law. I can see having some law inside city limits, but only 4 pets? How about NO PETS unless you have proof from a vet that they are treated according to vet recommendations. How about NO PETS that are not spayed or neutered, unless you register as a breeder. Then involve the townspeople to come up with a new number that is reasonable for number of pets.

And you should be able to have a waiver as a foster home, so you get to keep a certain number, then can foster more. Some limits inside city limits are understandable. I know someone with 5 dogs and around 80 cats inside. While she does a great job, most people could not maintain that. But 4 is so arbitrary. Some people with 4 have 4 uncared for animals, and it is a huge problem.

Oh, I am so glad to live out in the country! I currently have 15 "pets", legally. Any chance you can move out of town?

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow...this is a terrible situation to be in, and one that is totally unfair for the pet owners that are actually responsible caring pet owners. As becciboo mentioned, get involved in the politics in your town. Go to the city council meetings..and maybe find out which council members(if any) have unregistered pets of their own, or "too" many pets. If you cant get the laws changed, make them apply to everyone and see how long those laws last. Chances are there are friends and relatives of council members breaking this law also. It may sound harsh, but in desparate times, do whatever it takes! Good luck!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have scanned this so I am a bit confused. Did your shelter have a licence or are you fostering? If that is the case, how can a municipality then say you havwe to give up the kits? Here, I think it is a 4 or 5 cat limit I am not sure, lol. (and I actually am not opposed to a limit - with the proviso that people who rescue or are fanciers or reputable breeders have the ability to apply for exemptions). And if you live in the burbs and the cats are all indoors and not a problem to your nrighbours, who should care? As long as they all well cared for!! I do think if one chooses to live in a condo or an apt, you need to read the rules carefully re pets.

But where you are working with a rescue, I would get a lawyer. Do you have legal aid there? Law students looking for projects????

Good luck!!