I have to go to the eye doctor tomorrow! EEK!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

I've been seeing a drug on tv ads that are supposed to help those of us with dry eyes.....has anyone here used it? I don't know how the heck you wear contacts, mine are so dry that the contacts just stick to the eyeball in one place and don't "float" like they're supposed to, lol!
I only wear my contacts for limited amounts of time during the day.
I use the eye gel in the morning and let that sit in my eye for a few minutes before i put my contacts in. Once i get those in i use rewetting drops throughout the day. And at night i take my contacts out if i've been wearing them and use my glasses. If i stay at home though- i wear my glasses all day to give my eyes a break. That helps a lot!

That, and i wear the O2 Optix, some of the most breathable ones out there- so that helps immensely- they're the only kind i can tolerate ok.

I am allergic to certain types of silicone if it gets in or near my eye (i found out the hard way when i tried another silicone based contact a few yrs. back). For some reason however, i seem to tolerate the O2 Optix though without any issue - it's made with a different type..so it doesn't irritate me.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Nikki, I know what you mean about your eyes getting so dry that your eyelids stick -- I've had that happen, too, and it's a miserable feeling, isn't it?

I used to use Refresh Tears, but the doctor gave me a sample of Systane last year, and I'll never go back! It's wonderful stuff. (Probably not nearly strong enough for you, though.)
That is one of the worst feelings- i actually felt mine tear- and that was aweful! For a week i felt like there was something in my eye
My eye doctor gave me a steroid drop that healed it well though!

I can't use Refresh products- they irritate me pretty bad. That Systane sounds like good stuff- i will ask about it when i go!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not crazy about the eye doctor either, but I've been nearsighted since I was 7 - so the amount of time I've gone in my life has helped. Nearsighted ppl HAVE to go at least yearly. If I have perfect vision I'm not sure when I would have gone if ever.

I have an eye disease now, so I go every 30 days. I also have had 4 eye surgeries in 18 mns - fully awake! with two more to go. Still doesnt make me throw myself in the chair and say GO!!

I love the anesthia drops they give me though! That makes it almost worth it.

I spend $40 a month on eye drops though! That's just for OTC stuff. I always make sure to get samples! Refresh is my fave - esp. the single vial drop ones - heaven!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I will definitely concentrate on my breathing when i go. I know it sounds silly, but i almost panic when i have to go there
I don't do that anywhere else- i guess it's just something about havinzg my eyes messed with by anyone aside from myself. It makes me crazy!!!

Do you think you'll eventually get eye surgery? Colin got it through the Navy and he has perfect vision so far. He said it wasn't bad at all.
I really really want the surgery but at the same time I am scared. The way you talk about a reg visit is how I feel about the surgery. I don't like knowing you see EVERYTHING. haha

Good Luck today. I am thinking of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little update!

Well, i survived my eye doctors appointment today
I was a nervous wreck the whole time, but it wound up not being all too bad.

He said that the reason i was having a hard time seeing out of my glasses and contacts is because my eyes actually got BETTER!
Ya!!! He said that since i've been wearing the O2 Optix- more air has been able to get to my eyes and it's helped improve my vision a little

I went from a -5.00 in my left eye to -4.00 and in my right eye i went from a -4.75 to a -4.25: bigthumb: That's so great
I was really glad to hear my vision had actually improved a bit! He said that reason i was having a harder time seeing recently is because my prescriptions were too strong since my eyes had improved, so i was straining to see. Makes sense!

In a bit of bad news though my chronic dry eye is not improving at all, even with me using OTC drops and all constantly and having a more breathable contact. So as a last ditch effort he told me to start taking Thera Tear gel caps (their a pill made with certain oils and vitamins to help improve eye issues). He said to use that in combination with an additional artifical tear throughout the day to see if it improves. I'm supposed to do that for a few months and see it helps. If i'm not better by Thanksgiving, i have to go on something stronger.

Because they are so bad he said that if the new pills and additional drops don't help, he is putting me on Lotemax (a steroid used in combination with restasis) & Restasis. He said the bad thing about taking it is that you pretty much have to stay on it for life...so he wants me to wait a few months before i try it. He went ahead and gave me a script though just incase it gets worse.

I the pills & Restasis does not work i will need surgery to put tear duct plugs in my eyes. We're trying to avoid that as i'm allrergic to most silicones
So hopefully the pills will work in combination with the drops. If not i'll try the Restasis....and well if that doesn't work i guess i'm kinda out of luck and have to get those plugs.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad your vision is getting better! How cool is that?

I'm not sure it's the same thing, but my mom had tiny little things put in her tear ducts, too -- she's had them for over a decade, and on one occasion, one of them worked out of place and she had to go in and get it reseated, but other than that, no trouble at all. Might be an easier solution for you than all these medicines!