I have to find a home for Mommy, the shelters will PTS cause she's over 5yrs!

pettransport

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Hey guys, big drama with Mommy cat. None of the shelters will take her to be adopted. They started out telling me that they won't take her cause she wasn't my cat. I told them that this kid gave her to me, saying take her or I'll let her out in the streets....they wanted to speak to him, but I didn't have his #. Then they asked how old she is. They don't take cats over 5 yrs old to adopt out, the put them all to sleep!
And I said she's loving enough to be adopted, she just needs medical care for the rug burns on her belly, and they said they will PTS immediately cause they don't use medical services for animals that are too old to be adopted.
I need help guys! Right now she is living in my daughters bedroom.... I have DH agreeing to let me keep her till we find her a home, and to find her some affordable vet care, but I need to find her a furrever home soon. If anyone would be willing to care for her, I am willing to help pay/pay for her vet bills, and to drive her to whomever....even if it's within the tri state area....please check with your family & coworkers, see if anyone is willing to love this little girl that only wants to be loved....

Look at this sweet little face, she just needs a home....
If you email this to me offlist [email protected] I will post her on all the online rescue groups I belong to. Make sure that contact info is listed with a photo.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I can't believe anyone would put a cat to sleep just because they are 5 years old. 5 years old, what are they thinking?! Older cats need homes too.

And she's a beautiful girl. I know someone will want to take her home for good.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you had some luck with the baby girl, getting her taken care of and what not. Really I am in shock about the the age thing. All of my kitties were under 5 except one when I adopted them. I think any future cats I look at will be 5 and older.

elliemae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you give me information on the Tiger Ranch? I live in Pittsburgh and I've done searches on the internet for this place but I keep getting directed back to these threads.

Where is it located? Do they have a website under another name? How can I contact them?

Thanks,
Elliemae

spayneuter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've also searched for more info since my local shelter has been sending animals there. Here's what I've found:

They are a registered 501(c)3.
TIGER RANCH INCORPORATED
160 MILLER DR
TARENTUM, PA
15084-2901
This organization is not required to file an annual return with the IRS because its income is less than $25,000. They are listed at GuideStar.org.

The contact person is LIN MARIE.

I found this info at these links:
http://www.taxexemptworld.com/organi....asp?tn=228853
http://www.raybaughman.com/ferals/we...nia_links.html

I have found nothing negative about Tiger Ranch online and only positive comments. One local rescuer told me she heard they do not screen adopters and she was concerned the cats were going to laboratories; however she refused to give me any way to verify her rumors and therefore I doubt the validity of her claims. My local shelter sends animals there regularly, and all of the other rescues they use that I've visited have been excellent.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a super old post but I just wanted to back up Tiger Ranch, it is a wonderful place. I can answer questions about them because i have been there many times to volunteer but I am in no way affiliated with them. I just like the place and Lin is a wonderful and caring person. I think it must get a bit overwhelming caring for all those cats but she does the best she can. I recommend more for the unadoptable cats like ferals, FIV/FeLV positive and other special needs or kittens. Seniors, pregnant cats and illnesses that need constant care I wouldn't recommend Tiger Ranch for. They do get volunteers to socialize feral kittens for example. I have taken big male tomcats there and a FIV/FeLV double positive and they got adopted really fast.

ahomeatlast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work with a local cat rescue and we mostly do TNR. We've been looking for some info on Tiger Ranch and have only found this thread pertaining to it.
I noticed that Jen said she volunteers there and that SpayNeuter's shelter sends animals there.

Jen, can you please tell me more about Tiger Ranch...especially regarding how the feral cats are cared for.
1)When they are taken in, especially adult ferals, are they housed in a separate enclosed area to acclimate to the new surroundings? Then what happens? Are they just let out to roam the countryside at will or is the place enclosed? Can you give me an idea of exactly what the procedure is with the ferals?
2)It's unusual to have such a high adoption turnover rate for feral cats. Can you tell me how she screen potential adopters? Or does Lin Marie just hand over cats to whoeve wants them?
3) Are Felv/Fiv cats housed together or separately?
4) How many volunteers does she have? Is the place kept clean?
5)How many animals does she have at Tiger Ranch at once? Does she have a limit where she stops taking in cats?

I would appreciate any info you can possibly give us since it is a very very long drive for us to get a cat there and we don't want to just hand a cat over and not know what will become of it after driving such a distance.
Thank you.
Dot

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you find a place for this girl yet? I am not a permanent home but I am willing to provide care for the random cat until they are placed. Please be aware we have crazy activity happening here! Tiny children, puppies, many bengal kitties....right now I have had no takers on my offer of foster for ONE kitty until home is found-so we have a spot. MUST be FIV, FLV free, all shots, health cert.

bchs_vt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I ran across your post about Tiger Ranch and felt it absolutely necessary to back them up. I work at Butler County Humane Society. It is a no kill shelter, but does euthanize certain animals - mainly the sick and virus infected.

About a week ago, we got a momma cat and 3 kittens into the shelter. They were all tested for FIV/FeLV. Only one of the kittens tested positive, and the others negative. The shelter considered euthanizing both the mom and all three kittens, due to the chance that they may eventually all come up positive with FeLV.

Out of fear and desperation to save these 4 precious lives, I contacted Tiger Ranch yesterday, and they agreed to take in these 4 cats - get them into Foster Homes and eventually adopted.

I could not be more pleased with the outcome. I am taking the mom and three kittens there tomorrow. Thank God - some miracles do come true!

reliable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See:

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/13365/PA/US/

http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/ASPCA

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dead cats were believe buried

http://www.townhall.com/news/us/2008...und_in_pa_raid

Hundreds of sick and dying cats were removed
from a fortress-like sanctuary Friday in a raid brought on by worried
animal lovers and a county worker who infiltrated with a hidden camera.

Hundreds,
perhaps thousands, of dead cats were believe buried on the secluded
29-acre property known as Tiger Ranch Farm, about 20 miles northwest of
Pittsburgh.

Owner Linda Bruno apparently meant well but lost
track of the needs of the animals years ago, said Howard Nelson,
director of the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Animals, which organized the raid.

"I found her to be in denial
of the condition of the cats," he said. "It's billed as a sanctuary,
but no one person can take care of 750 cats."

Bruno, also known
as Linn Marie, 45, was arraigned Friday on animal cruelty charges. It
was not immediately clear if she had an attorney.

Animal control
agents and sheriff's deputies arrived Thursday night. By midday Friday,
at least a dozen cats had been euthanized at the site and more than 400
had to be medicated due to highly contagious diseases, officials said.

The
SPCA got a search warrant after a seven-month undercover investigation
in which humane officer Deborah Urmann, working Saturdays as a
volunteer, videotaped the operations using a button camera purchased
over the Internet, officials said.

"She claims she's a no-kill shelter, but really she's a slow-kill shelter," Urmann said.

About
100 cats were living in a building that looked like a construction
trailer. It was strewn with blood and feces and had two doors that
enabled the cats to go out into a fenced area. Dozens of cats lived
with Bruno in her ranch-style home, too, Nelson said.

"You couldn't even breathe because of the ammonia," Nelson said, referring to the stench of cat urine.

Officials hope to find homes for the cats once they are rehabilitated, said Becky Morrow, a local veterinarian.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiger Ranch is the one that was just raided, right? Has it not been raised by Animal Control and there is some huge controversy about it. It was on the news even here in the Boston area!!! They did mention it was in Pittsburgh! That would be very sad if that's true - I did hear on the news report that the operator was "unconventional" which said to me they were trying to make her sound like a crazy cat lady and that just made me mad and now I want to look into it. That does not help you with that cite though/ What about other rescues in your state or nearby states? I cannot believe no one would take this girl or at least give her a courtesy listing!!