I have the kitten bug and can't shake it. *Sigh*

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just need to whine to somebody.

Spooky and Mulder have both grown out of the "kitten phase" and into mature loving adult kitties. Who I adore. But suddenly I find myself wanting to add another (furry four-legged feline, not human) youngster to the family.

Its getting worse. All I can think of is kittens! I dreamed last night of playing with Spooky, Muder and a whole bunch of... you guessed it.

I mentioned it to DH in passing and he laughed it off as kidding. Said we have exactly the right kitty to human ratio (2:2). I spend ALL my time in this big house and there is plenty of room for just ONE more...

We don't have any strays or ferals outside to adopt me. But there's a shelter not far away... full up on kittens and begging for adoptions. But can't bring a new kitty home without approval from DH...

Ok. Sorry for the whine. I feel better having talked about it. Any tips on how to fight this bug?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is always fostering as an option. I know it's difficult to give them back in the end, but that pain is more than made up by the satisfaction of knowing that you're helping save their lives.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can afford it, have the time and think the other two will be receptive, then go ahead.

Drag your husband to the shelter with you.

But you know what? I think you're lucky that your two cats have grown out of that phase.
I have two adult cats that still act like goofy kittens from time to time. Sherman, who's around 4 years old, was racing around the house yesterday and managed to knock a small case (24) of little cesar trays off onto the top of my foot - luckily that was only a little over 5lbs. He then proceeded to take off running, ran back into the kitchen and tried to jump up on the fridge from the counter next to it - he missed and bounced off, fell and got up to continue racing around.

I have three 1 year old kittens in the house that behave better then Sherman does..

Good luck on talking him into a kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well Spooky and Mulder still do the crazies some they just don't do it or play as often or as long...

We probably have space here for about 3 or 4 more but finances say 1 is better.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he asks what you'd like for birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc....you'll have a ready answer. That's how I got my Ziggy!!!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Well Spooky and Mulder still do the crazies some they just don't do it or play as often or as long...
It's daily for Sherman lately. Right between lunch and afternoon nap he has anywhere from an hour to two hour long episode of acting like a 7 month old kitten. If I'm really lucky he focuses on me and won't leave me alone. I look forward to their nap times...

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know I'm not the only one.

I wasn't really seriously thinking about getting a fifth cat atm, but then I saw her..a kitten whose mother I adored when the mommy was born 1,5 years ago. I can't stop thinking about her, but honestly I can't get her because a) I don't have 'extra' $1000 in my pocket, b) I already have four cats and will hopefully have kittens around spring and c) the kitten is already reserved. Yet I keep checking on her pics and thinking/wishing that she is mine! Oh, the agony!
And she is related to my soulmate kitty Utu.. The kitten is a black silver ticked tabby BSH.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
DH says I have to wait 3 months and if I still want a kitten we will go to the shelter and look. Or if I find one I can't live without before then we will talk but he really wants to wait until around Thanksgiving.

Now to locate one I can't live without... immediately.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well here's the thing with the kitten bug, it never goes away and kittens always grow up
! I also suggest looking into fostering, this way you are helping kittens in need and satisfying your kitten bug crave, without disrupting what sounds like a well balanced home

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remember a new kitten will be out of the kitten phase in no time at all and you will be right back where you are now. I'm at the other end of the spectrum, I would love to adopt an older kitty but don't think I can afford to do it right now.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My "kittens" are just over a year old but still behave like kittens. They are a hoot to watch and a HUGE plus is they don't play "bite toes" when sleeping with me.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seesh you are crazy! I am still waiting for the 14lbs 2 year old monster to grow out of his kitten phase!!

I think fostering would be great! That way you get to help raise them into loving wonderful cats, but you still have the fun of the kittens around!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

My "kittens" are just over a year old but still behave like kittens.
They're still kittens. Nutrition needs and growth wise moggies are usually still growing till 18months old, some longer than that. Certain breeds can take a few years.

The only thing about fostering is how well the other two in the house tolerate it. Hopefully they don't mind new additions too much.
Your DH sounds like he made a pretty fair compromise.
August-September kittens are usually needing homes around October and November if you're wanting a tiny one. If not, you still have spring's older kittens that will need homes.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My adult cat still acts like a gremlin so no kitten bug here

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We love having a kitten in the house again and we're having a ball watching Mollipop run around being silly. I can't believe she's six months old already! Yes, we've had some problems with her clawing the wall and the carpet (and climbing up the screens in the windows!), but it's a joy to be with her. The older cats are slugs and spend most of their time sleeping and eating. We enjoy Molli, knowing that her kittenhood will be over all too soon.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I went on the local rescue website to get some info on fostering. Then I figure what the heck I will look at the available cats while I'm here...

I fell in love with "Jinx" a 1-2 year old blue tabby. They said he is an oriental shorthair but I don't know. His listing stated he was "very urgent". I sent an email and got a response that he had been in the county shelter since June and his "time" had been extended once already for a family that never came for him.
They also said he was next in line to go "to the back" if they got even one more cat in.

I went today and met him. He's a total love bug I don't understand why he was there so long! I adopted him on the spot. Good thing too, because while I was waiting for him to get his shots and tests a woman came in to drop off her cat...

Now he's at home settling in the spare bedroom. We had to clip his claws and apply soft paws but now we are leaving him to settle. Its been a long day for him!

(I'll post pictures later.)