I Have Such Disappointing News

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, My heart aches for you, Gary, and the cats! You have put your heart and soul into this effort. There has to be some justice in this world. Only you know Julius and Spooky well enough to know if they could be separated successfully. I agree that putting them outside is undesirable, so Gary's an angel to offer to pay board. I'll pray that the right solution is found. This is heartbreaking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sit here in shame, and am almost too ashamed to write this story. This thread really ought to be in the feral forum or the S.O.S. forum - God PLEASE let someone learn something from our experience.

Well - it isn't so bad, I guess. But I'm just so disappointed - and I guess, as the red drains out of my cheeks, I guess that I don't really know what we could have done to prevent this. (Apart from the Landlord problem. That would have been easily answered if included on the adoption agreement).

OK. The woman called this morning trying to get out of our coming over at noon to pick up Spooky. Gary had had enough and lied again, bless his clever huge heart. He said we had friends coming in from NYC to see the cat, and that they'd be here only for a few hours in the afternoon, and we REALLY didn't want to miss the chance to get her adopted.

She "fessed up." She said that Spooky had run into the heat duct and she couldn't get her out to put her in a crate. Gary said - don't worry, maybe she'll come to the sound of my voice. We'll get her out, and we're bringing our own crate.

We showed up on time to the minute. The lady let us in. The place was cold, messy, dirty and to us, disgusting. The place stank. The heat ducts are not covered. There was no separate room set up for the cats. The litterbox was a mess. (No wonder the place stank). There were no beds for the cats, no cuddly places - just depressing and sad and I had to contain myself to either not cry or not go nuts on the woman.

The downstairs was three rooms, all of them pretty empty and stark. She said the cats had never been upstairs. I couldn't see Juli anywhere. She said he was in his hiding place under the bed or desk (the two pieces of furniture in one of the rooms). She pointed to the vent where Spooky supposedly was. She was VERY apologetic. Great.

We called Spook - she didn't come. We shook treats. Nothing. I'm the smallest of us - I fished my hand around in the vent. Spooky was NOT in there. It was just a short distance to the tube that leads to the furnace and (fortunately) didn't go anywhere else. It was large enough for Spook to fit in, though. Gary and the lady went into the basement.

No Spooky. I looked in the living room (a couch, laundry basekets with laundry in them, a TV and an end table). Spooky was behind the couch, trembling. We pushed the couch out a little, and Gary leaned down to reach for her. She bolted - and ran upstairs. The woman laughed and said - that's the first time she's been bold enough to go up there! I wanted to slap her.

She went up, Gary and I stayed down. She found Spooky under the bed, and when she went to get her, Spooky ran downstairs and headed straight for the laundry baskets. I reached behind one and got a good hold of her scruff. I reached around, picked her up with both hands (with a really firm grip on her scruff still), and put her right in the box.

Gary and I "chatted" in whispers while she was up getting Spooky.

Me: "Is it better to leave Juli here for a day or two, or do you think we should say our friends are actually interested in both cats?"

Because...while it was horrible to me, it was inside, it was protected, and it was warm. They are being fed - and since they hide during the day, and come out to eat and play at night, what was the actual harm in leaving him there for a day or two.

Because....last night we'd discussed how IF we're going to have all five cats in here, Gary believed it would be easier on everyone, including the cats, if we intro'd one at a time. I can see it going either way.

So.... since Julius didn't seem in danger there, Gary answered out the side of his mouth "We'll call her tomorrow to tell them we've got someone for Juli."

As soon as we got in the car, Spooky poked her nose up to the door of the crate (that was on my lap). Gary couldn't take that pitiful little look, so he opened up the crate door enough to get his arm in there, and he started to pet her.

The purring inside that car was reverberating. She flopped over for him and was kneading the air with HUGE, extended strokes. (And she has black paws and bottoms of legs underneath. It's too cute).

Gary went back to driving, I closed up the door. His hand was BLACK. She was filthy. Gary said - don't worry. We'll get Juli out of there. But he'll need to be cleaned, too, so it's best he's inside, where he is for now.

I think he's right.

The first thing we did when we got home was give her a bath. Well - Gary sat down with her on his lap for a few minutes, and let her roll around and be loved. The rest of the gang were closed in the bedroom.

Gary headed into the bathroom to bathe her. We let them all sniff the crate with her smell in it (well - Munchie didn't wake up or come out).

When Gar was done, I toweled her as dry as I could. She was kneading and purring while I dried her! The poor thing was just so happy to be somewhere else.

Anyway, as I dried her, I noticed a number of cuts on her head, one on her shoulder, and one under her chin. We checked her over thoroughly. No other cuts. THey're not abusing the cats per se. They were fresh, so I'm sure they came from Spooky bolting into that heat duct, squirming around in there, and bolting back out. Poor little girl.

I shut all the other cats back into the bedroom, and Gary came out into the living room with her wrapped in towels. He had to wash her completely twice before no more black came off of her.

She just kneaded and kneaded and kneaded while he finished drying her. Then she decided to take a look around. She was scrunched down and crawled very slowly around - but the fear left her eyes. She was cautious, but not scared.

She checked everything out - then came to crawl up on my lap! I petted the purring kneading mass of fur (now almost dry). Then I set her down on one of the chairs. There are so many blankets and levels and places for kitties around here. SHe snuggled in, and started cleaning herself.

What relief.

I gotta go - we just intro'd SHelly. Well - I suspended the laptop for 1/2 an hour. But she and Shelly are now sitting on the "bird watching" place together. THey touch noses, sniff each other, go back to bird watching together. Knock wood. This intro is going well.

I'll post more later (or tomorrow!)

SPOOKY'S HOME!!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here she is - after her bath, she curled up for a much needed nap.

Here's her first sleep here!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THey seemed so nice. So caring. So understanding of the whole "give the cats space, time, one room," etc. etc.

Now I'm terrified to adopt out any of them.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, for those of you following this story, Spooky has now met all the other cats.

The meeting with Shelly went really well. He ended up giving her a bit of a bath, then crawled into his box for his afternoon bath and nap.

After he was well asleep, and Spooky had slept a bit more, we put her on Gary's lap (from mine), and I went and woke up Lazlo. He was a sleepy-head, so I just carried him into the living room. I showed him Spook - and I'm not too sure anything registered. But as soon as I set him on the bird-watching seat, his little nose went into high gear! (I love it when they sniff and sniff with their mouths slightly parted. I know they have a smelling gland there, but it's still so cute!) Then I stood him on a box so he was slightly higher than Spooky, but he could reach out and sniff her. Which he did. Then he licked the top of her head and her ear - while she didn't stop purring or kneading while Gary was holding her.

He turned around, trotted into the bedroom, and jumped up into the cabinets. I went in to play with him. We played for a while. Gary put Spook back on the couch. After a bit, Laz jumped down, came out to the living room, inspected Spooky again, and that was that.

So far so good!

I was prepping stuff for dinner, Gary was playing a computer game. Neither of us noticed Munchie come out. I peered over at Spook - and there was Munch, sniffing her butt and giving her hindside a bath.

I'm sure there'll be some hissing as space and territory adjustments take place. But everyone's met - and I know it's soon, but we live in such a small space we'd rather just get it over with.

And it seems to be going well.

Poor Julius. I can't stop thinking about him over at the horrible place, alone now, and scared.

I don't know what's up with those people, but Spooky is the most loving cat I've ever met. I know I haven't met a lot of cats, but this is one content kitty.

And we didn't really have a lap cat! Shelly kind of turned into one a couple weeks ago. But Spooky doesn't want to be anywhere else. (I'm sure that'll get annoying at times if it stays this way - but right now I'm loving it!!!!)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie I'm so glad you were able to get Spooky out of there. I'm sure Juli will be ok until you can go back for him. Spooky sounds like such a love, I can't imagine how those people could treat her that way. Poor baby girl, and poor Juli. At least intros went well!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my heart goes out to you and Gary!

I'm so glad you ended up bringing Spooky home. How could a person live in such an apartment? And as you mention, no questionnaire would reveal this. I think the only thing you could do when adopting a cat out is to do some home visits to see how the person and cat adjust to each other. Then you could see the cat in that environment and see what condition the cat would have to put up with.

When I was reading your post my eyes were tearing up! I wish I lived closer to help you out.I don't know if I would have throttled the woman at the apartment or been able to keep my composure! And to see poor Spooky in such rough shape and black with dirt. Ick!

You can only do one thing at a time, and like you said Julius is warm and fed right now. One step at a time. And look how well Spooky is doing with the new introduction! That at least is a comfort in such an anxious time. I commend you and Gary. Your doing a beautiful job with such heart!

Please give Spooky extra warm and safe snuggles from me!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie, you have nothing to be ashamed of! You thought you were giving them a good home, and you did the best you could!! It is hard to know unless you actually visit the home what it is really like. I have known some people who seemed really clean and then when I went to their home was appalled by the filth they lived in! You just never can tell!! I was at someone's home once for supper and I accidentally dropped a peice of food on the floor and when I picked it up, it was COVERED in dirt and pet hair...it made me so sick to my stomach!!!!! And they were letting a little toddler crawl around on that floor!!!

I am so glad Spooky is back home with you and I can't wait to hear that Julius is back safe and sound as well! Still sending up prayers that you will find someone to take them both! Keep us posted!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't thank you guys enough for your words of reassurance and encouragement. Spook spent last night with us in bed. I almost cry every time I look at her - there's one scratch that's bad enough to have made a teeny bald spot on her head! I have waves of getting mad at myself then mad at those people.

It IS worth visiting their homes when adopting the kittens out! The poor dears would have been better off outside with us.

Things aren't going that well with the other cats! The first introductions went just fine. But it's NOT fine any more!

I don't know enough about cat behavior to know what it is. It doesn't seem like she's scared or anything. The problem isn't the other cats with her - it's her with them. They're curious - and when they come up to sniff her, she was fine the first few times, but not now! Now she really hisses, and swipes them - but hard! But they guys are being so good about it. They're not fighting back. They just back off, and sit and stare at her. Spooky did hurt Munchie earlier this morning. Now Munchie just avoids her.

Unfortunately, this is totally stressing Gary out. I know it's normal - it's just that when we intro'd Shelly and Munchie, it was a matter of hours, not days or weeks before everything fell into place around here. This, I think, is going to take some time.

Thanks again for the kind words! I really needed them.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, Spooky will probably be a little "spooky" for a while. You know it stresses them to have so much change in a short period of time. I feel certain she will come around soon if she is given a bit of time to get used to the change. She has your laps as places of comfort, and she is warm and well fed. I know it's hard on you and Gary because of your limited space. Perhaps you'll just have to buy a farm! (Only half kidding!) You two are so good hearted. Please don't blame this on yourselves. Still praying!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry to hear it isn't going so well....maybe they will get used to each other soon...I am still praying too....my thoughts are with you guys!!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe Spooky just got a little tired of being sniffed at. Fred is bad for being a little aggressive in his grooming of the girls, and often gets hissed at and swatted by them. They love each other, but just need their space. I know space is at a premium at your house, so it can't be easy.I don't think we can say too many times how good of you and Gary it is to be caring for these cats. Some of them would probably not have survived without you. I hope it helps that we all wish we could offer more than just words of encouragement. Happy New Year!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie! You did what you thought was best at the time. Remember hindsight is 20/20. It will take a little time, but they will adjust in time and Juli will fit in as well. There is always an adjustment period. My heart goes out to you, Gary and the cats. I hope everything works out for the best.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ady - everybody - thanks, AGAIN, so much. Quite frankly, I'm not worried about the cats. THEY know what they're up to. I'm worried about Gary!

We had a "chat" last night. His whole theory up to now (and hasn't been a problem) is that he's the alpha cat and he'll set the behavior rules. (LOL!) If he thinks he's in charge - whatever. The cats do what they want anyway!

It's just he wanted to interfere with the whole hissing problem. Which, in my mind, isn't really a problem. They've got to work out their issues, and she just wants some space right now. She IS sick of being sniffed at, and she just wants to catch up on some sleep without fear.

The boys have been so good about it - and Munchie just pisses everybody off all the time.

When they get too close, Spooky hisses. They usually just back off. Munchie usually needs a good swat before she gets the message. It all came to a head last night when Spooky got caught unawares that Shelly was right next to her, and she hissed an spat and SWATTED - and, of course, Shelly is Gary's cat. So he yelled "BAD KITTY" - and I said - what the F*&^ are you doing? SHe's just being A CAT, and she wants her space. So he reached over to pet her to apologize, and she hissed and swatted at him! He really started to get mad, (this just isn't going to work, I can't take this, etc.) and I said listen - just give her five minutes and try again. If I'm wrong, we'll send her to the Vets until the shelter space is open.

Of course I was right, and she became a purr baby again.

So... the long and short of it is, he's stopped interfering. She hisses, they back off.

And this morning her hisses began to sound half-hearted, and she's not swatting anymore. Well - Munchie hasn't bothered her yet today, so I can't be sure but...

Poor Gary. He's not really under the illusion that he's in charge of anything - but it really "struck" him last night! (Bad pun - sorry!)

We're going to rescue Juli tomorrow. God forbid those people have a party tomorrow night or something. We're making arrangements to leave Juli at the Vets until things have settled down around here - which may be a few days or a few weeks. Thank God they have a wonderful facility and really nice people. They already know and love Juli - he's such a sweetie.

I can't push Gary over the edge, and I can't leave Juli there.

So we'll let his baby Spooky settle in, and then we'll upset the whole household again.

BTW - it is sure lookin' to me like we're going to end up as a four-cat household with one outdoor kitty as a pet, too.

Gary's fallen in love with Tuxedo (hissy - remember the one that was so disruptive we wanted to adopt him out as a barn cat? - LOL!) Tuxedo is Shelly's brother - a black and white. But Shelly is long and tall, and Tuxedo is short and round. He's so cute! He follows Gary around outside now, and Gary spends LOTS of time out in the freezing cold (not smoking!) to be with him.

I was just in such shock when we went to pick up Spooky. This time we're just telling them not to bother trying to catch Juli, just know which room he's in and we'll do it. Poor Spook was so cut up and terrorized from their attempts to grab her. We don't want a repeat of that. There's so little furniture, there's not much space for him to hide - but plenty of ways for him to hurt himself.
I AM glad to say, we're much better kitty parents, and we are definitely MUCH better kitty trappers/catchers!

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie,

Oh, you are really experiencing the trials and tribulations of cat rescue - (((Hugs))). I know this must be terribly hard to have a home not work out for them. I'm sure you two will find a solution. Sending luck your way

One word, and I'm sure you know this for future cases - make sure that anyone that is adopting brings either a copy of their lease or a signed note from their landlord, allowing the pets to reside on the property. I have heard so many stories similar to yours and unfortunately, they don't all call the people who they got the pets from; many just dump them. At least these people did right by the cats considering they weren't being very responsible.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You already know that I think what you and Gary have done is admirable. But (and yes there is a but there) you are going to have to stop soon adding them to the motor home.
You will get so many of these ferals (as they never stop coming) that you are going to have some full on wars soon, not just hissing. The hissing is really a warning to you guys that there are to many cats for such a confined area. I would hate for you two to have to experience a full-on cat fight where the loser ends up in the hospital and you have some pretty hefty bills to settle. Once these cats keep getting newcomers to the group and they see no escape you could have some big trouble. You can't save them all Laurie- no matter how big your heart is. You save anymore, and you might just lose one or two as their feral natures take hold and they fight for their territory.

(This dose of reality is brought to you reluctantly by hissy)

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd better start pricing those farms, Laurie! Hissy's right. You can't take them all in. Your heart is bigger than your home.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissy - thank you for the words of caution. We'll see about Juli. All of this is being caused by the fact that there is no availability at the no-kill shelters. Our wait on the list is down to somewhere between 2 - 3 months, and we have 5 slots "reserved."

If we wind up with serious problems around here, the Vets as a boarding facility until the shelter is available is an option for Juli, Spooky and/or Munchie. We are reluctant to put cats that were moved inside back outside - then back inside again. Indoor/outdoor isn't an option for us (dirt, pests, etc.)

So none of this would have been a problem if we hadn't adopted out Julius and Spooky to begin with. Cool catch-22, hunh?

Territory - at least for now - isn't the problem. Poor Spooky has simply been trying to sleep. She has "checked out" the house only twice. She knows where food and water are, and she knows where her litterbox is. When the boys are in the bedroom, she's been in the living room (mostly), and vice versa. Because she doesn't "like" the other cats yet, we feed her separately. So - they haven't actually encountered her anywhere other than her bed except that first day when we let everyone meet, one by one, while she was with me on the couch.

I know Shelly, Lazlo and Munchie are all ferals. But they were all rescued young, and Shelly and Laz had never had their "own" territory, so to speak. The lived in a burrow and spent most of their time playing around the picnic table. They only went on two excursions with mum before we brought them in. Also, I think we may not encounter the same problems we would if we were trying to integrate a cat like Booger into the home. (An older cat used to having a HUGE territory).

I'm not saying we won't have problems or that this is large enough for them - but for a couple of months, hopefully we can work it out. Unless they all get along - then we'll probably be a four-cat home.

As far as I can tell around here, Shelly's actual territory is the box he sleeps in, Lazlo's is the crate he sleeps in, and Munchie's is the crate she sleeps in. Everybody is everywhere otherwise, and they play together at night (noisy buggers!)

We've now emptied as many cabinets and shelves as we could. We've created two levels that consume the isles next to the sides of the bed, and the overhead cabinets over the bed have one meek pile of t-shirts at either end (Shelly and Lazlo love to play up there). We're going to tackle finding a new home for everything stored in the drawer under the couch, and we're going to put the drawer in storage. So they'll gain another whole area in which to hang out, sleep, play, etc.

They have at least 3x the "space" that we do! (It's still not a lot, but we've created a great 3D world for them here).

But thanks for reminding me.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW - Hissy, Jeanie, everyone - noticed the "new" quote in my signature recently? LOL!

I guess what I have to remember is that we don't have to bring them all inside!

:tounge2: