I have had tootsie for 10 years now. She is 16 and I still don’t know what color/breed she is. We always thought calico but she doesn’t have orange

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, calico, or maybe tortoiseshell and white. Some people like to differentiate (calicos have large blocks of color, torties are more mottled) but others don't bother. I see orange on her face and paw; it is a bit muted but still genetically counts as red/orange.

If her eyes are blue it's likely she's pointed. Has her color/pattern changed a lot over the years?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TootsieandIrene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, calico, or maybe tortoiseshell and white. Some people like to differentiate (calicos have large blocks of color, torties are more mottled) but others don't bother. I see orange on her face and paw; it is a bit muted but still genetically counts as red/orange.

If her eyes are blue it's likely she's pointed. Has her color/pattern changed a lot over the years?
thank you for your help! Her color has faded a tiny bit but had not changed. I have had her since she was 6 so it is possible it did when she was a kitten. And yes it is a very muted cream orange. Is pointed a breed?

TootsieandIrene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

here is also a more detailed body photo
B608CC44-1407-4C81-9C6F-D5FCD123FE78.jpeg

TootsieandIrene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it's a pattern.

Most cats don't have any breed background at all; they aren't like dogs. We call them "domestic shorthairs" (or longhairs, as applicable).
Thanks to your help I officially found out what I am 99% sure she is- a chocolate tortoise shell!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is a calico/ or a tortie with white, but a lot of white , but the red looks diluted. I am not sure about the blue eyes, I would not call her pointed. But her facial pattern looks a bit snowshoeish or rag dollish. Blue eyes in pointed cats all come from siamese ancestry. Snowshoes were bread from siamese cats and have white on their paws and face. Ragdolls started with a feral longhair all white cat bred with Birman like males who had points from siamese cats. She is pretty 😻