I have gotten much weaker

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is so strange. I've been a very strong willed person my whole life. I always carried a lot of stress, and did it very well. didn't let it bother me, no pain, or sickness etc.

But a few months ago i started getting sick, a LOT. i was sure it was my kindneys because I've had some 'pain' in a strange area and it made sense (i have diabeetus
).

I would get so lethargic I couldn't move. all my web work would go undone, i stopped eating, and boy my sleep schedule went haywire. i would sleep for 2 hours and wake up for 4 or 5 then have to go back to bed. Bizarre.

What I didn't realize was this is all related to worry and stress. Like I said, it surprised me, because I've always carried a lot of stress. but either i've gotten weaker or the stress got a lot stronger. the root cause was money. i've been slowly going broke because i just don't have enough money coming in. my family is dealing with illness, and my mom is SO bad at managing money.

I was at a very bad place, figured i could survive but we were going to be dealing with power shut offs, phone turn offs, satellite turn offs etc, you get the picture.

it even got so bad I think I almost had a breakdown. i woudl get this incredible anxiety, my arms would be all red, and I felt so strange. it progressively got worse and worse and worse and I was very close to going to the E.R.

Well early this week, I picked up a contract that I'd been working on for months and didn't think I was going to get. it's enough income to cover me and my family for 7 months or so on bills, groceries, car payments etc.

The NEXT DAY i felt completely different. first off, i slept for 14 hours that night. when I woke up the anxiety that was making me get up every 2 hours was gone, the aches were gone, the nausea was gone etc. i can tell i still need another couple days to get back to normal because that much takes a while to recover from, but the bottom line is, it's over.

I am 43 years old, and I think it's just that i'm not 20 anymore and can't carry the weight of the world on my shoulders. but i have NEVER gotten ill from stress. never ever ever.

How much better I feel is incredible. it's also why i haven't been posting in months except for an odd picture of the cats. I just didn't have the motivation. In fact, the effort it took to take a picture, upload it and post it was about all I could muster.

The mind is an amazing thing.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, well I'm glad you feel better.

A lot of people don't realize that mental health cannot be ignored. If we don't take care of our minds, we are SOL.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too hope you are back to your old self.

I hear you on stress, I think I too can handle it pretty will at least externally but I have been not 100% the past week and I know its from stressing on how much landscaping I have to do over the next 5 days. And with the added responsibility at my part time job.

Take care of your self-eat healthy you don't want to mess around esp of you have diabetes. And its okay to ask for help. Might want to work on a family budget so you don't stress over that later in the year.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was a pretty strong willed person too. My idea of handling stress was just to stuff it and ignore it, but my body was keeping track of every problem I tried to avoid. I developed ulcers and a panic attack disorder. That was years ago. I'm better now. People seem so concerned about their physical health and appearance they don't always realize that mental health is really the most important thing of all. If you're not right emotionally then nothing else is going to be right either.
I'm glad you are getting back on track and hope everything falls into place for you

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a weakness, it is dealing with life. Stress comes out in all sorts of ways....sickness, gaining or losing weight, not sleeping or sleeping too much, not being able to deal with others on a day to day basis. The body (and mind) can only take so much and then it comes out other ways. I've read that crying is good because some of the stress hormones come out as tears. Whether or not that is true I don't know, but crying is good for the soul.

I'm glad you have some breathing room now and are feeling better
. That "load" is off your shoulders and that has to feel good! Trying to keep things afloat at home is different then stress at work or at school. The mind is a powerful thing....now if only we could control it....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand so well what you've been dealing with... and I'm so glad for you, that some good luck has come along to help you past it. May you never feel that way again.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, it's not "weakness" per se at all - as you've learned, it's biology. It also becomes a viscious cycle, because the lack of sleep takes its toll on the immune system.

We know all too well that contract-signing anxiety. We always seem to manage to just scrape by.....

So glad you got one that'll carry you for a while! Hope you're able to sign another one before you need to worry about it.

More importantly, I hope you take this time while you're feeling better to learn how to better physically manage the stress in the future.

Welcome back to the world!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I was thinking recently that I hadn't seen you on TCS nearly as much as before. Glad things are looking up for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone

I'm definitely back to normal so i'm relieved.

I'll say one thing, my cats being here sure helped me. it's so cool that they love unconditionally. I like the silly little things. like the fact that no matter where I am, they'll come close to me to sleep. or when i go to bed, wilbur ALWAYS follows me and plops down on my butt to sleep. then later tinker wanders in and they both end up sleeping between my legs, leaning up against me.

hehe i like the little things.