I Have Four Bottle Babies And Could Use Advice

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so i work at a local no kill shelter and someone brought in four orphaned kittens. i told the foster coordinator i was interested in fostering a bottle baby but had no idea id be taking all four but i like a challange. theyre about four weeks old and eating well but one of them had an anal prolapse a few days ago. our vet preformed surgery on him and he miraculously survived. he was doing good for two days after that (though it was difficult stimulating him as i did not want to mess up the stitches) but his anus is starting to protrude again :( we also had to seperate all four kittens because they were suckling on each other... before i got them they were eating KMR and their poop was runny and yellow! after the one had the anal prolapse i did some reading and found out powdered goats milk is a good option for orphaned kittens and has lots of probiotics so i bought some and some non flavored pedialyte. i have been feeding them a mixture of KMR and some of the powdered goats milk (the honest kitchen brand) and some of the pedialyte. their stool has gotten less runny but the one kittens anus, as i mentioned before, is coming out a bit again. i informed the foster coordinator and they said there isnt anything to be done about it till the morning aside from keeping it moisturized. im wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how did you resolve it? what can i do to help the kittens feel less lonely since they were split from each other (already have stuffed animals in their carriers with them as well as snugglesafes) is there anything else i can do feeding wise to help their stools become normal and anything i can do to help the one with the anal prolapse. i have been crying all night worrying about him. they told me when he got surgery the first time to prepare myself that he would not make it because surgery on kittens this small is risky so i dont know if hes going to be able to make it through yet another surgery. i just want to make sure i am doing the absolute best i can for these guys!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Food wise you do nicely, KMR + goats milk + pedialyte is a good combo. If you can get RAW goats milk, its worth a try, its even better than powdered goats milk...

A little crushed flavorless pumpkin may help to stabilize the poo. We usually recommend it to older kittens and adult cats, but some desperate members tried it on 2 weeks old cat, and succeed.

I presume the vet gave OK on the poo itself? I mean, runny yellow poo may be a sign of parasites. And on it you will need prescribed something. Albon is common.

Prolapse: if it isnt too grotesque, with the whole intestine falling out, just the self anus protruding - it seems it goes over by itself with time. Our members report such sometimes, and the kittens grow up...

Of course, you dont want constipation - or diarrhea on such a kitten, it makes things worse.

You can smear it with cocoa oil - use an coldpressed organic brand. It soothens much of minor inflammations.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that all 4 kittens may need Albon.

Often the protruding anus will self-correct as the kitten develops. Is this kitten straining with hard bowel movements? If so, adding a couple of drops of olive oil to each feeding will soften the poop. Once the straining stops, the anus will return to normal position.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would post photos of the prolapse but im on mobile and dont know how. its a pretty big one however. not as big as the first time but big enough that i do not think its going to correct itself. and hes currently got stitches on the side of his anus v.v

is raw goats milk safe for infant kittens? i put some coconut oil in their milk last night hoping that would lubricate and help them poop healthy. only one has pooped since yesterday afternoon. the vet prescriped them amoxicillin for the diarrhea but i dont know if they have been dewormed. i would assume yes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so they havent been dewormed. they said they are going to deworm them in the coming week once they hit three weeks old.... i thought they were already four weeks but i guess i misheard x.x im very tired. they vet said there isnt more we can do for the prolapse at this time except keep it clean and moist?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes our foremites whom use goats milk are happy withs it Raw os even better has potential edge - of course if its higienic conditons.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue using oil in the formula.

Are the kittens getting enough formula for their weights?

What do they weigh? How much and how often are you feeding them?