I have Celiacs Diease

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Sweet potato flour I find hard to work with .. but realize I am a cook not a baker
I see now that it's often mixed with other flours… I might as well add actual sweet potatoes, then. I'm ok at baking, I can't make cookies since I moved and now have all electronic in the kitchen, though.
Any tips for gluten free flours+ dealing with an electric oven that cooks a bit hotter than it should would be appreciated.

I'm also curious, I have some stone bakeware that has obviously had wheat items on it. Due to it being natural/unsealed, even after washing it, is cross contamination possible? What about cast iron- even if soap was used to wash it?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Pancakes are relatively easy. I'm thinking more of actual cake.

Note to anyone trying to avoid gluten, "gluten free" Chex have something wrong with them. Either it's another ingredient or cross contamination, but I tried a little of the corn Chex and they tore up my stomach. Looking them up (after the fact) this seems to happen to a lot of people.

Apparently Bob's Red Mill gluten free flours aren't safe either...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you purchase any frozen GF items they need to brought back to room temp and sometimes warmed (microwave/toaster). If the labels have the word starch in them I think the chemistry changes when frozen and the items become more crumbly.

Check out Authentic Foods located in California to see if they carry a consumer line of GF mixes.

I think you should be okay with your cookware. If baking you can alway use parchment paper to line your pans in case you are worried about cross contamination.

Several of our GF customers also have problems with dairy or soy too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Several of our GF customers also have problems with dairy or soy too.
I've always thought I was mildy lactose intolerant, but thinking back pretty much every time I've had problems with dairy there's been some wheat involved, too. (explains my problems with some ice cream while other kinds are fine.
) I don't know about soy - I have made stir fries that definitely had no wheat, but had plenty of soy sauce (luckily I've always seemed to use a safe brand of it) and those meals settled ok. Other times I ingest soy there's, again, wheat there, too.
But I have seen where many have problems with a lot of other foods.

If you have any more hands on tips for baking, and making sure the breads come out really nice, I would really appreciate it. Working with xanthan gum and guar gum will be completely new to me, though I've found a little helpful info about them already.

I'll be over at hospital tomorrow so I'm thinking of popping to my doctor's office and seeing if he'd be willing to order some tests for me (without making a useless office visit when there's nothing to do pre-tests) so I can see how messed up I am nutritionally. (interested in B vitamins and vitamin K - since I have so much bruising) At least now blood work from from 2006 and 2007 suggesting I was malnourished makes sense.
If I can get that corrected I'll see if my heart rate issues get better and if not get back with a cardiologist to deal with any possible damage caused there.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since our GF stuff is baked in the wee hours of the morning.... I just remember that its more of a yeast batter than a dough. If you make buns, use a mold (like a tuna can wih the ends cut off. They will not look like the buns you are used to. Cookies and muffins should turn out the same. The bread may turn out more dark than a wheat bread too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Since our GF stuff is baked in the wee hours of the morning.... I just remember that its more of a yeast batter than a dough. If you make buns, use a mold (like a tuna can wih the ends cut off. They will not look like the buns you are used to. Cookies and muffins should turn out the same. The bread may turn out more dark than a wheat bread too.
So some of the other bakers handled more of that?
I have found some non-yeast breads, like a tortilla recipe that looks like it will work (and no be more work). It's just that the gums will be all new to me.

Ironically I've never actually made wheat bread (meaning actual wheat bread/whole grain). White, sourdough, and french bread are it for actual breads.
I've never liked wheat as it and other whole grain breads have always tore my stomach up. Either it was just the celiac reaction or it was that plus those breads being harder to digest when I wasn't really digesting them to begin with.

Wish me luck on getting the doc to order some blood work for me. I think I might mention homocysteine, too, since some others i knew with similar health issues had serious issues with it.