I have bottle babies...I need help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, everyone, for the encouragement, advice and kind words. I'm just happy the baby is with someone who knows what they're doing.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The good thing is that you cared and you did something to help them. Even if the one didn't make it, it was better off with you than alone. Glad you were able to find someone to take the little girl.

tigersdad70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have just had to go through this with my two orphans and I can sympathize with the amount of stress you are under and understand the time commitment. It's overwhelming.

My vet cut the X in the nipples for me, but I too had the same problem. I enlarged the X to the point to where if you turned the bottle upside-down then a drop would slowly come out on it's own without squeezing.

That did the trick. I think they are so tiny, they can't create enough suction on the bottle to get the milk. Holding the bottle at a 45-degree angle allows to formula to slowly come out with a little help from the nursing kitten.

I also found that mine would not eat sitting on the floor or on my knee (as most bottle feeding guides suggest). I had to hold mine up against my chest with one arm and hold the bottle with the other. I think being held closely encourages them to nurse.

On elimination, I could never get mine to go #2 while stimulating. I'd stimulate and then set them down with a warm wash cloth at their hind-quarters and they'd then go after I put them down.

Good luck! I hope some of the suggestions are helpful. Now that mine are "out of the woods", I'm VERY thankful that I invested the time. It gets easier week 5!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The girl that took the last little baby emailed this morning and said it died last night. At least they died in safe place, where someone loved them, although they didn't know it.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

The girl that took the last little baby emailed this morning and said it died last night. At least they died in safe place, where someone loved them, although they didn't know it.
I honestly think that there was something genetically wrong with them and that's why mom abandoned them. They just know these things and let nature take it's course. You did all you could and you are right, they are better off now that they died in a safe place.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carlysmom

I honestly think that there was something genetically wrong with them and that's why mom abandoned them. They just know these things and let nature take it's course. You did all you could and you are right, they are better off now that they died in a safe place.
Thank you, Jessie (the girl that took the last baby) thought so too. I'm sure you're right, I just hate to think that maybe they suffered or were in any pain.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe that God brings them past the pain in the end. Even when you know what you are doing, you can lose them. I recently have lost 6 kittens and I have been doing bottle babies for over 30 years now, so don't beat yourself up that you weren't doing anything right.

Just for next time, when you are feeding and the formula starts appearing as bubbles on the mouth of the kitten, the kitten is full. It isn't mandatory, that kittens eat X amount of formula every feeding. They know when they have had enough and that is one of the first signs. If they aren't eating at all they could have gas bubbles, or just need to be stimulated to poop and pee. I advise cool water, not warm as that helps to shock them into relieving themselves. Warm water is comfort and it is just like if they peed on themselves so sometimes they don't go.

I hope next time you give it a go because you have a good heart.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that.

I agree, I think that they must have been sick from the beginning. And just remember, you gave them someone to hold them as they passed on rather then being outside all alone.RIP little ones.