I have another devastating loss my beautiful Black Buddy cat is gone

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started a journal, thinking that would help ease some of my heartache, but decided to also come here. When I lost my Meela just over 4 years ago, the people were fabulous with me, trying to make me feel better. Then I came back in the late fall of 2019 when I lost Meela's dad, Meeka to a heart attack. He was only 5.

This time my story is a bit different, but still very painful.

In Feb. 2019 I noticed this black cat that was going house to house at night, scratching at the door, trying to get in. It was quite cold out. I told my daughter about it (who lives just down the road) and she said he has been around for a month or so and she was leaving food out. I ended meeting him face to face out back of my house. His beauty took my breath away. We became friends and I made him a shelter on the porch with food. He was there every night for over a week. My son decided the porch wasn't good enough, so he had been sneaking him in his room at night. Long story short, I adopted him and he became a permanent member of our family. The irony of timing is that it was the week of Valentine's day and he had a large heart-shaped white patch on his chest.

He and I had to deal with our trust issues. I don't have outside cats and he was one of them. He learned to trust me when I kept him inside, usually due to weather or something like that. I had to trust him that he would keep coming back. So for the last 26 months Buddy and I worked on our issues and things were really good. When he went out, I never saw him leave our street. He hung out in back of my daughters house or the neighbors, but always came when I called him.

Last Thursday (4/15) the weather was nice, so I let him out of our basement window. He liked to sleep down there because there was another cat that didn't particularly like him. But he wasn't alone, he had his daughter Mia with him. I opened the window and told him he knew the rules. That was the very last time I saw him. He didn't come home that night which was not like him. My husband tried to convince me that he was probably just chasing a female in heat somewhere. At that time, I think I wanted to believe that theory because what could be another reason? I mean, he can't be dead because I drove around looking for him and never saw him anywhere. I drove around and walked the streets calling for him. Each day later, I realized this didn't feel right because he always came home. My daughter thought maybe he got into a garage and was trapped somewhere. We talked to our neighbors and they all had seen him that day. The last time he was seen was around 4:30.

After searching and calling out since Thursday night, I decided to message my neighbor's daughter. They live out behind us and at one point had several cats in their barn. I sent her a photo of him and she immediately replied, "I think your cat may have been the one dead down the road". She apologized about it and said it was a big black one. She said that it was Thursday in the late afternoon. The irony is that he was on the other street that I can even see from my kitchen window. It's a busy road and though there is a speed limit, people are idiots and fly up and down it.

I sent my daughter over to the area and had her take the picture of him to see if he could be identified. First she called and said it wasn't him, that there was too much white and the areas he had white, there weren't any, like on his chest. At first I was so relieved. But then I'm like the where is Buddy?

She came home and I was still crying. As she stood at the kitchen sink with her back to me, I could tell something wasn't right. I asked her if she lied to me and she said "do you really need to know the truth, mom?" I told her yes that I needed to know if there was ever a chance I would see him again. She then started crying and said, "it was him". My nephew and his neighbor found him and immediately buried him. They didn't want him run over. I guess they both felt bad. But honestly, they did the right thing.

My only sight of him was his back end going out that window. I am never going to see my best friend again. I know he loved me and he knows I loved him because I told him every night. He would then purr and rub his head on mine. What I can't seem to get past is my sadness in missing him. I can't stop crying for very long. My guilt is that I never would have let him out, had I known that this could have happened. I don't know why he was there or how it even happened. Was he on his way home? Did he do this often (go on that street and was lucky every other time) and I didn't know? Seems that I was the only one who never saw him after he went out that window.

He was so full of life. Mia is now going down cellar every chance she gets and hollars for him. It breaks my heart. I know I will get through this eventually, but right now, I just can't stop crying. I miss him so much. The idea of never seeing him again is so painful.

With Meela, I still have a lot of grief & guilt about letting the vet talk me into putting her down, when I didn't need to. WIth Meeka, he had a heart attack right in front of me and there was nothing I could do to save him.

Now Buddy. I just don't know how to keep moving forward. I love him so much. I have been trying to give my other cats undivided attention equally, but they are not the best type of cuddling cats. Buddy was a cuddler. I just feel stuck right now. I want him back. I would give anything to see him for one last time alive..even 5 minutes. I know that the last 26 months were good for both of us. I took him in when he needed a home. In return, he loved me and was very loyal to me. He was such a good cat. He had a humorous side to him, too. I'll never know his age now. I was hoping when I made his appointment to be fixed, that the could give me an idea of how old he was.

I am trying to celebrate his life, but it's not easy. I have to go to my basement to do my laundry and seeing his bed empty kills me. I still feel like I will see him running up the sidewalk, coming home or laying on the front porch - rolling around. I just don't know what to do. What's worse is that he's not even buried here. I can't go to his grave to visit him.

Anyway - thanks for letting me get this in writing.

Tinkerbell's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started a journal, thinking that would help ease some of my heartache, but decided to also come here. When I lost my Meela just over 4 years ago, the people were fabulous with me, trying to make me feel better. Then I came back in the late fall of 2019 when I lost Meela's dad, Meeka to a heart attack. He was only 5.

This time my story is a bit different, but still very painful.

In Feb. 2019 I noticed this black cat that was going house to house at night, scratching at the door, trying to get in. It was quite cold out. I told my daughter about it (who lives just down the road) and she said he has been around for a month or so and she was leaving food out. I ended meeting him face to face out back of my house. His beauty took my breath away. We became friends and I made him a shelter on the porch with food. He was there every night for over a week. My son decided the porch wasn't good enough, so he had been sneaking him in his room at night. Long story short, I adopted him and he became a permanent member of our family. The irony of timing is that it was the week of Valentine's day and he had a large heart-shaped white patch on his chest.

He and I had to deal with our trust issues. I don't have outside cats and he was one of them. He learned to trust me when I kept him inside, usually due to weather or something like that. I had to trust him that he would keep coming back. So for the last 26 months Buddy and I worked on our issues and things were really good. When he went out, I never saw him leave our street. He hung out in back of my daughters house or the neighbors, but always came when I called him.

Last Thursday (4/15) the weather was nice, so I let him out of our basement window. He liked to sleep down there because there was another cat that didn't particularly like him. But he wasn't alone, he had his daughter Mia with him. I opened the window and told him he knew the rules. That was the very last time I saw him. He didn't come home that night which was not like him. My husband tried to convince me that he was probably just chasing a female in heat somewhere. At that time, I think I wanted to believe that theory because what could be another reason? I mean, he can't be dead because I drove around looking for him and never saw him anywhere. I drove around and walked the streets calling for him. Each day later, I realized this didn't feel right because he always came home. My daughter thought maybe he got into a garage and was trapped somewhere. We talked to our neighbors and they all had seen him that day. The last time he was seen was around 4:30.

After searching and calling out since Thursday night, I decided to message my neighbor's daughter. They live out behind us and at one point had several cats in their barn. I sent her a photo of him and she immediately replied, "I think your cat may have been the one dead down the road". She apologized about it and said it was a big black one. She said that it was Thursday in the late afternoon. The irony is that he was on the other street that I can even see from my kitchen window. It's a busy road and though there is a speed limit, people are idiots and fly up and down it.

I sent my daughter over to the area and had her take the picture of him to see if he could be identified. First she called and said it wasn't him, that there was too much white and the areas he had white, there weren't any, like on his chest. At first I was so relieved. But then I'm like the where is Buddy?

She came home and I was still crying. As she stood at the kitchen sink with her back to me, I could tell something wasn't right. I asked her if she lied to me and she said "do you really need to know the truth, mom?" I told her yes that I needed to know if there was ever a chance I would see him again. She then started crying and said, "it was him". My nephew and his neighbor found him and immediately buried him. They didn't want him run over. I guess they both felt bad. But honestly, they did the right thing.

My only sight of him was his back end going out that window. I am never going to see my best friend again. I know he loved me and he knows I loved him because I told him every night. He would then purr and rub his head on mine. What I can't seem to get past is my sadness in missing him. I can't stop crying for very long. My guilt is that I never would have let him out, had I known that this could have happened. I don't know why he was there or how it even happened. Was he on his way home? Did he do this often (go on that street and was lucky every other time) and I didn't know? Seems that I was the only one who never saw him after he went out that window.

He was so full of life. Mia is now going down cellar every chance she gets and hollars for him. It breaks my heart. I know I will get through this eventually, but right now, I just can't stop crying. I miss him so much. The idea of never seeing him again is so painful.

With Meela, I still have a lot of grief & guilt about letting the vet talk me into putting her down, when I didn't need to. WIth Meeka, he had a heart attack right in front of me and there was nothing I could do to save him.

Now Buddy. I just don't know how to keep moving forward. I love him so much. I have been trying to give my other cats undivided attention equally, but they are not the best type of cuddling cats. Buddy was a cuddler. I just feel stuck right now. I want him back. I would give anything to see him for one last time alive..even 5 minutes. I know that the last 26 months were good for both of us. I took him in when he needed a home. In return, he loved me and was very loyal to me. He was such a good cat. He had a humorous side to him, too. I'll never know his age now. I was hoping when I made his appointment to be fixed, that the could give me an idea of how old he was.

I am trying to celebrate his life, but it's not easy. I have to go to my basement to do my laundry and seeing his bed empty kills me. I still feel like I will see him running up the sidewalk, coming home or laying on the front porch - rolling around. I just don't know what to do. What's worse is that he's not even buried here. I can't go to his grave to visit him.

Anyway - thanks for letting me get this in writing.
just know that he loved you as much as you loved him. I keep looking for Tinkerbelle in all her favorite places and we moved all her things to the garage as we didn’t have to see them. Hopefully it will get better in the future I’ll still miss her but in a different way just as you will with your lovely Buddy. Just keep all those good memories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just know that he loved you as much as you loved him. I keep looking for Tinkerbelle in all her favorite places and we moved all her things to the garage as we didn’t have to see them. Hopefully it will get better in the future I’ll still miss her but in a different way just as you will with your lovely Buddy. Just keep all those good memories.
Thank you. I really am trying. But it's been very difficult. I feel so defeated.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You gave him a home a place that he loved. Cats do not come back if they do not feel they are loved. It's tuff to lose a fur friend. Hang in there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Buddy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Later, you will celebrate Buddy's life. Right now, the pain is too new, too raw. You, like Mia, need your time to grieve openly. Give that to yourself. This I will tell you...what you gave Buddy was beyond price. What Buddy knew of home, and hearth, and family, he knew because of you. He lived, breathed and had his being wrapped in the love you and yours had for him. Yes, beyond price. And now, from that Place Where All Things Are Known, Buddy blesses you for more than two years of love he might never have had, two years of blessed, joyful life he almost certainly would not have had. And Buddy's love for you, now translated and purified into Love, he sends back to you to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, love abides.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My only sight of him was his back end going out that window.
Imagine this memory of him as going to the light, where at the end of it would be an endless field of grasses and blooms. He can run happily and endlessly without ever being harmed or hurt.

I am very sorry for your loss. It takes time, so for now, just hang in there. We are all here for you.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel this. You know it makes them happy to be free, but you can’t keep them safe.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy was looking for a loving home, a warm spot and cuddles, and he found them all in your home. After wandering for so long he found the place he was looking for, the place he was longing to find.
Buddy had all he needed, he couldn't be happier.
But the fate is evil sometimes, and it keeps taking from us what we ove the most.

I am so sorry for your tragic loss, but know that Buddy is smiling at you and he's thanking you for all the good things that you did for him, that you gave him.
He's at the Rainbow Bridge now, where he's found Meela and Meeka and now they are all agreeing that no place on Earth would have been better than your home. One day you'll be reunited, and this time no disease, bad veterinarian or evil car can divide you again, ever.

RIP Buddy, and watch over your mom who loved you so much.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the pain IS unending because in order to feel such pain you will open your heart to more love in the future. Because that is the way we are, sensitive to their suffering, wanting nothing more than to nurture and love, even if for a little while. Because feeling such pain means we are alive, and being alive means we search for and let in love because that is living. Those that never experience love as you shared with that little boy, with Meela, with Meeka, have never experienced such pain, and cannot begin to know how you feel. They have also never truly lived.
When I feel that I can't go on, when the pain becomes too much of a burden, my husband always reminds me, "you can't save them all", and I think 'why not?!" But eventually, I sort out that in a way I DID save them all, just as you did with Buddy, just as you will with the little ones in your future. You gave Buddy what he wanted most in the world, a caring home and most of all the love he craved so very much. None of us can predict the future, can prevent horrible things from happening. Because that is life. No more than we can change the past. No matter how much we want to. The secret is to live in the present, live each and every day as it comes, and do not try to do the impossible. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. I know in my heart that Buddy would never want the one he loved so much to be so sad because of him. To concentrate on this sadness so much it prevents you from letting your love go out to the others in your life, to others in the future. Let their love in to warm that broken heart, to soothe the pain you are feeling. Because that is what you would want for him to do if you were the first to go. How do I know? Because that is love.
Grief hurts. It means we loved that much though. The bond you have with all your departed little ones can never be broken, can never be taken from you because it is spiritual, emotional. It can never be replaced, but can be added on to. Each one unique and holding a place of its own. You will forever have a tie with them, a connection strengthened through thought and prayer.
My heart grieves for your pain. My own thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours. Time is the only thing that helps, the only thing that soothes the sharp edges. May you find strength through your pain, and the condolences of those who understand......RIP sweet Buddy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The goal of any cat is to wander, to range over plains and cities, as far as possible. Cats originate in a small spot of Africa and spread from there all over the World. This is their Destiny.

For more than 30,000 years cats fought to conquer the world. And they still do it.

Some cats succeed to settle in other places, some can't make it and return to the Home Stars. But they want to fight to expand their territory during their entire life and we should understand them. It is exactly what You did.

I am sure that these fierce warriors want us to remember them when they go back to the Home Stars but also to be strong and keep loving their brother-in-arms: the other cats. Buddy wish is for sure to know that You keep living Your life and caring for other cats and for the family.

===

I would say His age is 26 months because we should count our age in months that count, that is meaningful. Does it really matter how old was He in biological terms? Every second with You counts 100 times more than any second without You, so His age is 26 months.

===

A place to remember is a place we choose to play this role, could be a grave or any other place we mark in this sense. The body is just a recipient, the Soul does matter. And the Soul visits the place we choose to meet It. So You may set a meeting place to remember Him, like a pile of rocks in the backyard.

===

My heart goes with you and may your warm Heart be near Buddy's Soul forever and ever!

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You gave him a home a place that he loved. Cats do not come back if they do not feel they are loved. It's tuff to lose a fur friend. Hang in there.
Thanks. I believe he was dropped off. It happens more often than you would think in our town. Or there are people like some up the road who start with 2 cats and end up with 20 and don't take care of them. They run the streets looking for food and shelter. I have several that show up to my porch each day looking for food. You can tell by their condition, that they are homeless. I can't save all of them and I am so fortunate that I had Buddy in my life for as long as I did.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The goal of any cat is to wander, to range over plains and cities, as far as possible. Cats originate in a small spot of Africa and spread from there all over the World. This is their Destiny.

For more than 30,000 years cats fought to conquer the world. And they still do it.

Some cats succeed to settle in other places, some can't make it and return to the Home Stars. But they want to fight to expand their territory during their entire life and we should understand them. It is exactly what You did.

I am sure that these fierce warriors want us to remember them when they go back to the Home Stars but also to be strong and keep loving their brother-in-arms: the other cats. Buddy wish is for sure to know that You keep living Your life and caring for other cats and for the family.

===

I would say His age is 26 months because we should count our age in months that count, that is meaningful. Does it really matter how old was He in biological terms? Every second with You counts 100 times more than any second without You, so His age is 26 months.

===

A place to remember is a place we choose to play this role, could be a grave or any other place we mark in this sense. The body is just a recipient, the Soul does matter. And the Soul visits the place we choose to meet It. So You may set a meeting place to remember Him, like a pile of rocks in the backyard.

===

My heart goes with you and may your warm Heart be near Buddy's Soul forever and ever!
Thank you. It means a lot.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the pain IS unending because in order to feel such pain you will open your heart to more love in the future. Because that is the way we are, sensitive to their suffering, wanting nothing more than to nurture and love, even if for a little while. Because feeling such pain means we are alive, and being alive means we search for and let in love because that is living. Those that never experience love as you shared with that little boy, with Meela, with Meeka, have never experienced such pain, and cannot begin to know how you feel. They have also never truly lived.
When I feel that I can't go on, when the pain becomes too much of a burden, my husband always reminds me, "you can't save them all", and I think 'why not?!" But eventually, I sort out that in a way I DID save them all, just as you did with Buddy, just as you will with the little ones in your future. You gave Buddy what he wanted most in the world, a caring home and most of all the love he craved so very much. None of us can predict the future, can prevent horrible things from happening. Because that is life. No more than we can change the past. No matter how much we want to. The secret is to live in the present, live each and every day as it comes, and do not try to do the impossible. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. I know in my heart that Buddy would never want the one he loved so much to be so sad because of him. To concentrate on this sadness so much it prevents you from letting your love go out to the others in your life, to others in the future. Let their love in to warm that broken heart, to soothe the pain you are feeling. Because that is what you would want for him to do if you were the first to go. How do I know? Because that is love.
Grief hurts. It means we loved that much though. The bond you have with all your departed little ones can never be broken, can never be taken from you because it is spiritual, emotional. It can never be replaced, but can be added on to. Each one unique and holding a place of its own. You will forever have a tie with them, a connection strengthened through thought and prayer.
My heart grieves for your pain. My own thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours. Time is the only thing that helps, the only thing that soothes the sharp edges. May you find strength through your pain, and the condolences of those who understand......RIP sweet Buddy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you so much Di & Bob. Your words have always been soothing to me. My biggest regret was letting him outside at all. But he loved going out and I couldn't take that away from him. What I learned today is that he frequently crossed that road and I never knew it. My goal was to get him fixed. I know he wouldn't want me to sit around crying, even though watching me, he wouldn't understand why. My heart is broken and I hope to one day fill that hole in it, if at all possible. I know one day he will run to me in Heaven. He and Meeka didn't get along on earth, so now I giggle at the idea of them being in Heaven together. I hope they are friends now.

He and I had the most special bond..He knew I was his person and he was my cat. I told him every single night how much I loved him and was glad we found each other. His head rub reassured me that he felt the same way. I know he loved me and he knew I loved him. I am giving my other cats more love than ever, and it's starting to annoy them.

I am struggling because I walked the streets for 4 days and drove around calling and looking for him. All that time, he was already gone and buried. I am going to miss him forever. He mad such a huge impression on my life.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel this. You know it makes them happy to be free, but you can’t keep them safe.
Sadly, I know. but I learned to trust that he would come home, just like he learned to trust that I kept him inside for the right reasons too. All my other cats never go outside. I don't know that I will ever have another cat that will. Thank you for your words.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buddy was looking for a loving home, a warm spot and cuddles, and he found them all in your home. After wandering for so long he found the place he was looking for, the place he was longing to find.
Buddy had all he needed, he couldn't be happier.
But the fate is evil sometimes, and it keeps taking from us what we ove the most.

I am so sorry for your tragic loss, but know that Buddy is smiling at you and he's thanking you for all the good things that you did for him, that you gave him.
He's at the Rainbow Bridge now, where he's found Meela and Meeka and now they are all agreeing that no place on Earth would have been better than your home. One day you'll be reunited, and this time no disease, bad veterinarian or evil car can divide you again, ever.

RIP Buddy, and watch over your mom who loved you so much.
Thank you Antonio. Your words were perfect. He was very happy. I cant wait to see them all again. I wish it didn't hurt so bad. He was loved by me and I know he loved me. He was my baby. I will forever miss him.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Imagine this memory of him as going to the light, where at the end of it would be an endless field of grasses and blooms. He can run happily and endlessly without ever being harmed or hurt.

I am very sorry for your loss. It takes time, so for now, just hang in there. We are all here for you.
Thank you so much. The first loss was at my hands, so to speak. the second was out of my control and this one..again out of my control, but it still hurts like all the rest. I am trying to hang on to all the good memories. He was the best.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly, I know. but I learned to trust that he would come home, just like he learned to trust that I kept him inside for the right reasons too. All my other cats never go outside. I don't know that I will ever have another cat that will. Thank you for your words.
All my past cats went outside against my wishes. I tried to curb it and failed. I had my heart broken many times. Often never knowing what happened. I now harness train my cats and am working on building a catio. We’ll compromise.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Buddy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Later, you will celebrate Buddy's life. Right now, the pain is too new, too raw. You, like Mia, need your time to grieve openly. Give that to yourself. This I will tell you...what you gave Buddy was beyond price. What Buddy knew of home, and hearth, and family, he knew because of you. He lived, breathed and had his being wrapped in the love you and yours had for him. Yes, beyond price. And now, from that Place Where All Things Are Known, Buddy blesses you for more than two years of love he might never have had, two years of blessed, joyful life he almost certainly would not have had. And Buddy's love for you, now translated and purified into Love, he sends back to you to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, love abides.
Thank you so much for your kind words. Him not being here any longer is the hardest part to get use to.