I have an ortho appointment in just over an hour...

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am kind of nervous about my appointment with my orthopedist this afternoon. I am not currently in a cast, but really would like to be back in one or have some sort of treatment plan going forward. I want to heal and feel as though I've been at a standstill recently. So, vibes are needed.

As some of you may know, I broke my scaphoid/navicular bone in my left hand/wrist about a month ago. It was a big hullabaloo (is that even how you spell that word?!) because the bone would sometimes appear fractured on x-rays, but, at other times, it would not. The scaphoid is one of the most difficult bones to diagnose fractures in and is also hard to treat due to its placement and issues with blood flow. So, that being said, I was placed in a cast almost immediately after the injury. Since then, I have had a series of short arm casts as well as one munster cast (it goes above the elbow along the side and back of your arm, but the top and inside of your elbow is left uncovered so that you can bend your arm, but not fully extend it). However, a bit over a week ago, my last cast broke and came apart -- leaving me with no protection aside from a small splint provided by the emergency department. The ortho didn't want to place a cast on me last week as I was recovering from a very terrible stomach virus and so I've been without much support. However, that may change today.

I had an MRI done Monday evening so that we could definitively see what was happening with my scaphoid/navicular bone as well as other bones, tendons, and ligaments in my hand, wrist, and arm. And, I have an appointment in about an hour with my orthopedist to find out the results of that MRI. Depending on what was seen, the next step could be anything from surgery to a long arm cast to a short arm cast to an aircast/splint to, well, nothing. I don't know what to expect and I am a bit anxious. While I still have lingering pain and tenderness, it's usually not more than what I would feel if I had a sprain or strain. However, I have a lot of issues with movement. I can't put my hand into a fist without sharp pain, my thumb's ability to move is limited, and I cannot grip or lift anything more than a couple of pieces of paper -- and, even then, I often wind up dropping the papers since my hand cannot grip for more than a minute or so. And, then, there's the nerve pain. Apparently, the navicular nerve runs right along the scaphoid and it has caused me a lot of pain in my hand and wrist up into my elbow and shoulder. So, that being said, I would like some sort of treatment intervention at this point. But, by the same token, a cast or, worse, surgery, is not the most appealing of thoughts. But, regardless, I am kind of hoping for a cast since I did feel so much better with it on. It may not be fun, but healing is my top priority.

So, if you could just send out some vibes that my hand, wrist, and arm are properly taken care of this afternoon, it would be most appreciated. And, I promise to come back and update after my appointment. Thank you all in advance!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your appointment went well today and they gave you another cast, or something equally useful to promote healing!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Argh! I just typed a lengthy update and it got lost!

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. We got an unexpected snow storm this afternoon that left downtown Cleveland a mess. We were expecting 1-2 inches of snow and wound up with over a foot! And, my typical drive home from the orthopedist's office is 15 minutes at most. Today, it took hours. Now, it's true that my roommate and I decided to go the opposite direction from home in order to get something for dinner, but we wouldn't have done that unless we were forced to. The area was a complete disaster -- traffic, accidents, and severe weather. The downtown area was grid-locked and we waited in traffic for more than 2 hours before deciding to go out east in order to grab dinner. And, thankfully, while we hit traffic on the way home, the weather was not as bad and we made the typical 30 minute drive home in just over an hour. I've been home now for a couple of hours, but have been trying to keep warm. The cold weather and snow today had me chilled to the bone. But, that's not what this post is about...

The MRI I had done on Monday confirmed a scaphoid/navicular fracture. Thankfully, however, the scan showed that the fracture was in an area of the bone that retains good blood flow and heals more quickly and completely than other portions of the bone. However, even with that good news, the orthopedist informed me that I have another fracture -- this one of my thumb. It was also discovered that I have two cysts (1 cyst and 1 potential mass) on my wrist. One on the upper portion of my wrist is just a simple ganglion cyst. But, the other, found deep on the inside of my wrist, looked suspicious. I'll need to have a repeat scan done once my fractures are healed. And, depending on the results then, I may need a needle aspiration and/or a biopsy. The ortho wasn't going out on a limb to say that he did think it was potentially malignant, but he did say that it warranted a second look. And, it looks like that second look will take place in about 6 weeks (he was certain waiting, at this stage in the game, was better given my circumstances than moving forward in a fit of haste). But, since he didn't want me to worry, I'm trying not to. Of course, if you know me, you know that I likely won't be successful in not worrying, but I am sticking with the belief that it is just another benign, but annoying cyst. I have enough to worry about aside from that anyway...

As far as treatment for my wrist and thumb, I walked out with a splint (air cast) that can be removed only for bathing. It fits to my mid-arm and protects my thumb, the upper portion of my hand, and my entire wrist. I was skeptical since the emergency department's splint was flimsy at best, but this one is very sturdy and does a good job of protecting my hand, wrist, and arm. We opted for the splint due to the fact that I have had a difficult time with casts as well as due to the conditions where I work (I work with animals and I need a cast or splint that can be cleaned on a regular basis). I'll need to wear the splint for 6 weeks minimum, but, if I don't continue to heal, that time frame could be moved up to 8 or even 12 weeks. At that time, I will have additional x-rays and another MRI taken. And, following that, I will meet with the ortho to discuss where to go from there. But, the goal is that I will have a repeat MRI in 6 weeks and take a look at the fractures and mass and then move on to physical and occupational therapy along with whatever needs to happen with the cyst.

It's all a lot to think about, but I feel good about my appointment today and where we're headed treatment-wise. The splint feels good and I am already doing better. I do have concerns, but I feel strongly that they will be addressed in due time. And, I'm confident that everything will be okay in the end. But, your continued vibes would be appreciated. And, in the spirit of the holidays, I'll work on not being an anxious mess
. Now, if it would just stop snowing!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your "mass" turns out to be nothing, and that everything else heals quickly and that this splint works well.