I have a very serious request for prayers, vibes, or whatever you can spare...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hesitated replying to this post as it has been a very uncomfortable situation for me. But, I feel that I owe it to this board to come back and update everyone who has been offering their thoughts, prayers, and kindness.

Unfortunately, I have sad news. And, for that reason alone, I am grateful that I didn't come back to post an update sooner. The reason being that her father survived the initial suicide attempt. He was transferred to another hospital and had a successful surgery to repair the damage he did to his chest cavity. He remained in critical condition for a little over a week until he was able to step down to a psychiatric unit for further medical and psychological monitoring. While there, they prescribed medications to help his mood and lesson the depression and anxiety that found him in a position to attempt suicide. He was not physically stable and therefore could not participate in therapy or other programming and, it now seems, what the psychiatric unit was able to provide simply was not enough.

This past Thursday, my friend's father attempted suicide again. He had been moved back to a medical ward as he had developed an infection which required chest tubes to aid in drainage. While there, he was heavily medicated and was not deemed to be a danger to himself. However, he was, indeed, still suicidal. Thus, he was found Thursday evening by the evening nurse and nurse's assistant. The cause of death has been ruled a suicide, but, as of now, I do not have specifics. And, personally, I feel grateful that I don't have all of the information.

There was a very small, private service yesterday. I, unfortunately, was unable to attend, but I know that his family has accepted his death and are moving on from this terrible ordeal. They are grieving, but, in my opinion, I feel a sense of relief from them. I only hope that he is in peace as well...

My dear friend committed herself to a psychiatric ward shortly after her father's first attempt at suicide. She was admitted for having suicidal thoughts. As of now, she has not been released and was not even allowed to attend her father's service. She is being kept voluntarily, but it does not seem like she will be discharged for quite a while. I speak to her almost daily, but this has taken a toll on my own physical and emotional health and, therefore, I have had to limit our conversations somewhat. So, for now, I speak to her almost every day for about 1/2 an hour. I know she is getting the help she needs while in the hospital and I am doing what I can to ensure that I am taking care of myself as well. I have visited her, but she became very angry and "abusive" during the visits and I no longer feel it is in either of our best interests to continue on with visitation at this time. Even her boyfriend has needed to take a step back (although they do speak daily and he has supported her 100%). So, continued prayers for my friend would be most appreciated.

Sadly, this situation did not have a happy ending. But, it has influenced me greatly and I am so thankful for the good I have in my life. It certainly puts everything in perspective...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Alison, what a sad and heavy situation... I don't even know what to say... I am so sorry...
To you and your friend... May you both find strength and peace to get through this...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. What a terrible thing to happen. I know it's hard dealing with a friend going through this, but sometimes you have to take a step back for your own well being. This is something she has to work own on her own. She knows you and everyone else are there for her even if she doesn't seem like it. After everything thing that has happened (that I know of) anger and lashing out are normal reactions, even if misdirected. At least she is finding help to learn how to deal with it and work through it. Many vibes to her and to you!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How very sad. Many many
and to both of you, and to the rest of her family. The ordeal is obviously not over, it's just changed direction a bit. Your friend is very fortunate to have supportive people like you around, but I'm glad you're paying attention to your own needs. You don't both need to be dragged down; in fact, if you let yourself be dragged down, you cannot be a help to her. So it's really for both of you, that you take a step back.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for you and your friend that it turned out like this, but at least her father has found the peace he was searching for. I hope you manage to stay strong in a very difficult situation.

salsero71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very sorry to hear about all you and your friend (and her family) are going through.
Losing someone to suicide can add an extra layer to the grieving process.

It sounds like your friend is slightly in limbo: on the one hand she' doing what she can to keep herself safe from suicidal thoughts/acts (by admitting herself to hospital) while possibly not being fully committed to staying alive (sometimes pushing people away, makes it feel easier to 'disconnect' from life).

But like others have said, keeping yourself together while letting your friend know you're there for her, when she's ready, is the most you can do.

Perhaps you can text her occasionally to let her know she's still in your thoughts. That way you won't have to get into a full-scale conversation with her?

Lots of