Jenxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_5873.PNG
IMG_5949.JPG
IMG_6046.JPG
IMG_5894.JPG
hi all, I have a 1 year old female ragdol, photos of mumma and dad attached.
She is pregant roughly middle of the 8th week But possibly right at the very end, I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea if she could go into labor soon. She's been to the vet twice for checkups , vet said there's a lot of kittens in there possibly 5-6, everything's perfectly fine and healthy with her. She was at the vet on Friday & her temp was 37.6, yesterday morning it was 37.5, lastnight it was 37.5 and today it's remained at 37.5, we don't want to take her temp any more as we've taken it enough under instructions by our vet to take it twice a day, it doesn't bother her she just lies there & purrs ..anyways she's been crying a little bit, not super restless and we've been able to feel the kittens kick for about 2.5 weeks maybe a little longer. The vet also said thatbher mammary glands are swollen behind the nippleDoes anyone think that maybe she will go into labor in the next day or 2? Vet said on Friday definitely within the next 7 days but expect them sooner, I just want to make sure that I am home for it

Mum is the blue seal point and the dad is a rare mink seal point
Second photo of the mum laying down was taken today, it doesn't look that big in the photo but she is actually relatively big and round lol
Thankyou

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So her average temp seems to be lower than for most cats. Good to know. If you want to measure in a less invasive way, you can try with the armpit of the foreleg. The temp in there is lower, about a full Celsius.

Has she dropped as yet? They usually drop a day or two before delivery. So a long you feel the kittens move and she hasnt dropped, its prob not time yet. You had felt them move over 2 weeks, so it sounds as soon now. But I also suppose you are used to palpitate her. More than the average cat owner. 8,5 weeks is short, even a full 9 weeks isnt much.
The common here on this forum is 9-10 weeks.

Btw, dont provoke forward the delivery, unless you absolutely sure its way too long - kittens dont manage well to be prematured...

Ps. I suppose yours ragdolls are purebred, and you are more or less a breeder. So the usual advices on neutering and spaying as soon you can manage arent for your case. :)

ps 2. If daddy is good friend with momma, he is no real danger to the kittens. He may even perhaps help her out with caretaking. That happens often enough.
But observe, there is some danger for mating and a new pregnancy, beginning already one week after the delivery. You dont want this happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah her temp is at 37.4 now and she's more interested in her birthing box, she usually likes to sleep on the bed with me but she's rather sleep in there now

I'm not sure if she has dropped as this is our first litter with her, she used to be quite full and round but the last week her stomach looks to be more droopy and low down and she looks skinnier at the hips/lower back

I can definitely still feel them move but the feel hard & almost like they're doing somersaults, I can no longer see them moving if she is just lying there , only if I rest my hand on her belly then I can feel them move but they feel like they're sticking out a lot when she lays on her back or her side.

Oh definitely not I'll let the kittens come when they are ready Just want to make sure that I am home for it as she is very very attached to me and always has to be in the same room as me and if I move from that room she will follow me,

Yes they are purebred & I am a registered breeder
Oh yes mum and dad are very very close , they're almost inseparable and and like to sleep cuddled up to one another with their paws around each other like they are hugging . We only plan to keep the male away for a week or so then slowly introduce him to the kittens and see the mum again supervised , but he is a very good cat, he's more like a dog with the way he acts, we don't have any worries about him hurting the kittens

Yes we definitely do not want another pregnancy within a week or 2, bein registered breeders we'd prefer to give mumma between 2-4 month break starting from when the kittens leave her so we will be extra cautious around that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats should only be bred once per year, and should be retired by 4 or 5 years old.

Jenxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure where you are located but in Australia it's 3-4 times per year depending on the owner, we've only ever done 1-2 a year though as in my opinion any more is cruel & my cats are my pets as well and won't be given away when they are retired like most people do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm in the U.S.

How shocking that pedigreed cats are allowed to breed that often!

Are you sure about that?

Regardless, it's not healthy as you realize.

Jenxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah 100% , a lot of breeders over here have kittens from one cat a lot, i keep an eye on all that stuff and how many litters breeders are having & this one lady has had 3 litters with the same female cat since January this year , it's now expecting again, I went and purchased one of the kittens from the 3rd litter she had to keep as a pet & see how they're being taken care off, this kitten was sold to me at 5 weeks old ( she told me it was 8 weeks) but vet said other wise & he also said she was very sick, she was missing fur & we had her for 2 weeks before she had to be euthanized because her organs were not working properly & this cat came from a registered breeder, absolutely disgusting so I reported her and provided photos of evidence to the place she is registered me and she got a huge fine but is still allowed to continue breeding. That is what I call cruel and disgusting