I Have A Question Aobut My Out Door Cat

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My out door cat Brindle has a strange behavior I don't understand. She will sit at the door to the porch, its enclosed and she has a cat door. She will want attention. I got out sit down and she will rub up against my leg. I put my hand out and pet and she will sometimes swat my hand claws out when I am about to end the stroke. I know she wants attention but I don't get this behavior.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my ferals will do this--in my case, Ambrose is playing with me. He's just not always careful about keeping his claws sheathed. It's sweet in a weird way to see this big old feral tom playing with me the same way my indoor kittens do. I give a squeak and remove my hand whenever his claws pierce the skin and he's getting better about not hurting me when he's in the mood to play.

If yours doesn't seem to be trying to play, it could be sensitive about being touched near the tail and just warning you off of that area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think its that. She will do it when I pet her head, not always and I can tell when its about to happen. She snaps her head toward me and I know if I linger its coming.

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she might think you are playing your stroke is part of a game. Use an oven mitt and see if she bites that. Fingers can seem like fast moving threats or dangling toys to be batted away.
Kitty has enough scratching material_? They can buff their nails and sand down their claws.
Rub under the chin and behind the ears. Maybe there was an incident in the past where someone she trusted got her in the head & grabbed her by the neck skin and incurred pain.
Also remember with ferals other people play with the cat and screw up the behavior. The cat may be responding to cues you don't even know exist. Teasing from other people is reflected how the cat acts when she interacts with you.
Also think about how you pet the cat. I know two men who show attention to a cat of mine in a way annoying to me and the cat. They would be too rough and 'bink',or tap the cat on the head and say "boop".
Maybe just talk to the cat and then when she brushes, let her set the tone. Older cats have bad wiring from past abuse and sometimes just food and shelter is as far
burt.jpg
as their damage will allow us to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't get the feeling its play, but it could be over stimulation. I had a cat I had to re-home when my dad got sick. I would pet it and it would drool and she seemed to love the attention then she would if I petted her too much turn and nail me [bite] on the hand. This seems a lot like that.

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its hard to limit play when you love a cat but then maybe curtail the play before it gets to the nibbling point.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All our cats except one (Grover, most tolerant cat ever) will bite/scratch me if they see good reason to. They all have different personalities, so I just learn what not to do so I don't get scratched/bit. (I have gotten a lot of wounds during the process of learning ;))

Ember does it since I had her chew on my finger as a 4 week old baby, but now it hurts way more (I know, I know, enforcing bad habits...) She also thought my leg was a scratching post as a baby, it didn't hurt then but it really hurts now (and she covers my whole leg). I think the last time she did that I scared her by yelling so hopefully she won't do it again.

Rusty if he wants food or you haven't petted him enough (I mean he IS 10 yo and 20 lbs)

Runty if you pick him up for too long or get in the way when he's chasing a toy

Pepper if you touch her the wrong way

Fluffy if you touch her the wrong way

George will bite for no reason, I think he's playing

Ninja will full on attack you if you pick him up when he's in a bad mood or yell at him when he's fighting with another cat. He is downright scary, he will literally run and jump up your leg while growling. But he is really sweet when no other cats are around and you are careful to do what he wants (which is pet him carefully sit in your lap so long your legs fall asleep). He is a really weird cat.

But all the kitties are sweet in their own way. They will all come up to people they know and ask to be petted.

Last edited: