I have a problem

tonymel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not new here,I already have a thread up about my cat Mrs.peppers. But today I have a new problem. I was in my backyard and I saw a black cat in one of my cars. I went to go pet her and I saw some kittens behind the seat! I don't know what to do. There are five of them. I don't think its safe for them to be out there but I can't bring them in. I already have Mrs.peppers in here and I don't know how shewould react to a new cat. Plus when I was petting the other cat,I noticed she had fleas on her ears. I don't want my cat or her kittens to get them. Should I just leave her there and let her take care of them herself? I can try to clean the car she is in so it could be clean but I really don't think I should bring her in.

calico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would probably clean the car as best as possible and put a couple old sheets out there. Maybe even some water and food so mama cat keeps up her strength to take care of her kittys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonymel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks :) I cleaned it out as best as I could but it is still pretty messy in there. I'm going to clean it more tomorrow though. I also bought some flea shampoo for cats, hopefully the kittens don't get any. I'll only be taking the mother a bath not the kittens. She is really nice to me. She didn't seem upset when I touched them either. I think instead of keeping one if Mrs.peppers kittens, I'll keep this mother cat instead. I really like her.

tonymel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 all black and 3 tortoiseshell! They are so cute :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aw, you are a really kind person.  A real human, as they say.  

TX!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I also bought some flea shampoo for cats, hopefully the kittens don't get any. I'll only be taking the mother a bath not the kittens. She is really nice to me. She didn't seem upset when I touched them either. I think instead of keeping one if Mrs.peppers kittens, I'll keep this mother cat instead. I really like her.
If you even think she will let you bathe her, she is definitely no semiferal. Surely a freshly dumped home-girl, who got dumped when she got pregnant. Or high life on heat...

I mean, even a semiferal does accept a kindly given help to her children and her, they do. But not this you do hint here. No way.

I think easier is if you do use Revolution drop on. I think it was SaveTheMoms who mentioned there are sorts for both preg moms and nursing moms.  It is also supposed the Revolution goes from mom to the kittens, so the kittens too get some flea-protection, from the defleased mom, told SaveTheMoms.   Revolution takes all outer parasites, and most worms too.   :)    Revolution is nowadays prescriptions free in USA, so I do hear.

You do want to deflease kittens too... Fleas takes a toll on them...  In unlucky severe cases fleas do kill.  But it goes by ifself via Revolution.

God luck!

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you buy the flea shampoo?  If it is Hartz do NOT use it, take it back for a refund.  Hartz products have given some cats very severe side effects.

My choice for a drop-on would be Profender which deals with fleas AND worms - that is if you can manage to get close enough to her to hold her to put it on.

However if the mother has fleas there will be eggs in the car - they drop out of the coat as they are laid - and there will be fleas in it as well.  :(

If you have a spare room in your house I would bring her in and treat her for fleas & worms.  The kittens will grow up soclalised and you can get the mother neutered. 

tonymel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she let's me hold her so she might let me bathe her. yeah I did get the hartz shampoo. So I shouldn't use it? I think I'll try to bring her in the garage. And bathe her inside.is profender a shampoo?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Profender is a spot on, and there is big difference between holding and bathing a cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Better you use Profender or Revolution spot on (depends on which you get), than try to bathe - risky for your skin, and you can lose her confidence.

Both these spot ons takes also most parasites, and are riskfree.

Many forumites feel unsure about some of these OTC products and brands, may it be anti-flea collars or defleasing schampoos.

If you really think she is so dirty she must have a bath, use some other product (and protective clothes). Perhaps some mild children schampoo.   Some uses Dawn dish soap.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, DO NOT use ANY Hartz products!!  When I first took my kitty to the vet's, the vet told me that they had two kitties that they almost lost, because the owner used the Harts spot treatment.

I agree with Stefanz, a bath could ruin the trust she has with you. Just use one of the spot treatments suggested by the others, (have to get from a vet)  & maybe later, you can just use a warm soapy wash cloth (w/ cat shampoo from a pet store, or baby shampoo in it) to wipe her down really good, ("a sponge bath so to speak"), then go back through a couple of times w/ a rinsed out one, to get soap out. I wouldn't use toooo much, you want to be able to get it all out, so she won't be itchy, or ingest it when grooming.

Good luck & keep us posted.  (oh, & if  you use Dawn, they say to use the original only, but I think baby shampoo would be better if you can't get good cat shampoo).

Last edited:

tonymel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bathed her with warm water and dawn soap. She is a lot cleaner now :) she didn't like it and at times she got really crazy but she's cleaner now. I won't be able to get the revolution treatment until Saturday though. I just came home from the dentist and I have to avoid bring outside or around dirty areas so I can't bring her in either. I should be good Friday though, I'm going to keep her in my garage. I also don't think the hartz shampoo is bad on all cats. I used to use it on Mrs.peppers and she is healthy.I never had any problems but to be safe I'll use the revolution spot on treatment on the other cat

tonymel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put her I'm my garage today. And I took her another shower. When I looked in the car to her there were only 4 kittens. I think she ate one or it died :( so now there are 3 tortoiseshell and one black with white marks on its stomach.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. When I looked in the car to her there were only 4 kittens. I think she ate one or it died
If one dies the mom will typically, often, ate up it.   The other way around is seldom, but CAN happen if mom is stressed into extremis.

Another scenario was she began to move them. This she does one at a time.  And you happened to come back and interrupt exactly when she was back to fetch next one in line.  Although I dont think it was the case here. She is surely an ex home girl, and is just happy she found a safe shelter and protector.

Good luck!