I have a pretty big problem....

chumon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this site while researching what to do, and I really need help.

I have two cats, a brother and sister who up until now got along amazingly, they slept together, played together, cuddled, licked, you name it. They are both indoor cats and have never gone outside except for in a carrier. Yesterday they got out because the door didn't latch properly. The male (Loki) came back in right away but the female (Luna) ran off with another cat. She was gone all night and just came back this morning. We were so relieved but now we have a bigger problem. Loki now reacts like she is a stranger. He arches, yowls, and he even tried to attack her. She was terrified and confused. I have them separated now and they are calming. She probably has a lot of foreign smells on her. I gave her a quick bath but he still reacts badly. They are both unfixed and Loki has an appointment to get his last shots tonight so that he can be fixed. He hasn't made sexual advances on her yet, and she in turn has not yet been in heat.

Right now when he sees her he acts like she is a strange male intruder.

What I need to know is what do I do? I have been going in with her and getting her smell on me and calmly letting him sniff it off me as he is still calm toward me. Do I have to re introduce them like they are new to each other?

Luna still wants to be close to him and she is very distraught that he is treating her this way. I am also trying to get as much of our smell back on her as possible.

Please help! This is tearing me apart.

Kate.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, you need to take your baby girl to be spayed as soon as possible. Although you might not have noticed her being in heat, if she's older than four months old, it's very likely she got pregnant when she escaped outside last night with that other cat. I'm sure you weren't planning on kittens, :lol3: so take her ASAP so the vet will be able to spay her and you won't have any.

Second, to make them smell more similar, try putting a dab of either vanilla extract or baby powder on the fur under their noses and at the base of their tails. It's important to do this for both cats, as the goal is to make them smell the same so they will "recognize" each other again.

Welcome to TCS and good luck :wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chumon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know, I have to get her her shots as well, I am on a very tight budget at the moment and my first priority was fixing the boy so that he wouldn't try anything with her indoors.

Thank you so much for the advice. I will try that.

I really hope they cant get over this soon.

Also, how should I try to re introduce them? What is the best way for them to come in contact at this point?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chumon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the double post but Im just posting an update. They are back to getting along! Thanks for the help!