I Have A Feral Kitty Issue.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve gotten great information on how to handle the calming of the new one. I think the request you got to keep the kitties in the house is to make sure they are in a safe place, comfortable and that you are working with them. I know that many rescuers just try to provide good information to people when they call for help with kitties they have caught. That’s probably their only thought when asking you to keep the kitties inside.
Good job catching another! I hope you didn’t get a bad scratch! :alright:Always make sure to clean scratches well. The gloves were a very good idea. :yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jen from Mew foster cat care stopped by and dropped off meds and a playpen. So they had their first dose of worm meds flea and tic meds and we gave them both their first bath with soap and water and did a tick comb. The sable one has ear tufts like a main coon. Jen thinks both will find homes fast.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news. You're doing really well with them. How many kittens are still outside, just two more to catch? Is the Mom very feral? If you have a kitten you can use that as "Bait" to entice the mother cat into a trap. It works the other way too, if Mom is in a carrier you can get the other kittens to walk into a trap next to her.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think there are 4 total so 2 more to go. I think one I have not caught is going to be touch and go. He is so skinny. I will trap more next week early.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The video that Norachan provided is well worth watching. It’s inspiring. I have seen it and even though I have caught a lot of kitties, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it and learning from it.

The kittens are precious. Orange tabby kitties are always popular and the beautiful big eyes on the sable would win any heart. I think they’ll get homes quickly too. You have saved two lives already! :)

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They seem to be doing well. I will be setting the trap for another one early next week. I was given by mew a bottle of high calorie gel. I will give them a bit of that every day until some meat on their bones. I made chicken last night and I use breast mean. I trim the fat and other tissue off and usually toss it. My cats are not interested. I put it in the pen with the kittens and Marmalade came out and licked it and it was gone like in the how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Three. Glad he liked it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They seem to be doing well. I will be setting the trap for another one early next week. I was given by mew a bottle of high calorie gel. I will give them a bit of that every day until some meat on their bones. I made chicken last night and I use breast mean. I trim the fat and other tissue off and usually toss it. My cats are not interested. I put it in the pen with the kittens and Marmalade came out and licked it and it was gone like in the how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Three. Glad he liked it.
Awww! Sounds like you really are putting in a huge amount of caring to help these kitties! You gave me a wonderful smile with the line about the three licks of a tootsie pop! :p :clap2:

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using a live trap for squirrels. I thought it was too small for a full grown cat. No such luck. I caught the mother cat. Had to make an appointment to have her fixed same day. She is a beautiful dilute calico. I will have to release her after three days. I hope she does OK but its all I can do to a feral cat. I instructed the vet to cut the tip of the ear so I don't catch the same cat again or if someone else is doing this procedure. She may have once been someones cat. She never hissed or bit at me and I put my finger in and stroked her and she just sat there.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww! Great that you caught her! :clap2:
Maybe she is tame enough that someone would adopt her? It always makes me so sad to know that a kitty is tossed away to try and survive after being dependent on a human for food and survival.
Wonderful that she won’t have to keep getting pregnant.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using a live trap for squirrels. I thought it was too small for a full grown cat. No such luck. I caught the mother cat. Had to make an appointment to have her fixed same day. She is a beautiful dilute calico. I will have to release her after three days. I hope she does OK but its all I can do to a feral cat. I instructed the vet to cut the tip of the ear so I don't catch the same cat again or if someone else is doing this procedure. She may have once been someones cat. She never hissed or bit at me and I put my finger in and stroked her and she just sat there.
She may be tameable. If you're interested in keeping her, I'd give it a shot just to see how it turns out.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh well done! I'm so glad you caught her, life is going to be so much better for her once she is spayed.

If you are going to keep the mother indoors for 3 days while she recovers from her spay you really need to get the remaining kittens too. They won't last 3 days without their mom.

Are the kittens coming to eat food at the place you trapped mom?

You could either leave food in the trap, leave something that smells of their mom and siblings (A blanket they lay on, some used litter from the litter box etc) or put one of the kittens you've already caught in a carrier at the back of the trap, as in the video I posted earlier.

They'll be very vulnerable without their mother, so they need your help more than ever now.

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates on the kittens outside? Is mama kitty still inside? She may be a lost cat who has reverted to feral - it's common for cats in season to be forced out of their home territory while being pursued by males and attacked by rival females - she will be so relieved to be spayed. Mew sounds like an awesome organization and you are an answer to their prayers - you have awesome instincts for kitty rescue!