I have a feral kitten but know nothing about cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kitty is not doing well now.

After getting her shot this morning, I let her rest. When I came to check on her a few hours later, she was having trouble moving.

She is VERY tender on her belly. Is this where they give the shot? Also her back is almost equally tender. Just about any movement hurts her. I tried to hold her to comfort her but she let out these little crying sounds that made it apparent that it hurt.

I put her in my bed, covered her up, and am staying with her for the night so I can be close to her to both let her know that I care, and that I am there to take care of her.

It's really hard to see her like this, especially with her just being a baby. I've seen my dog like this too after shots and it always breaks my heart. The worst part is just feeling like there is nothing I can do but offer love as support. I called the vet's emergency line to ask if I could give her a small dose of coated aspirin, but he said no.

I made things worse unfortunately for a brief second by accidentally tripping and grabbing the sheet she was lying on sending her flying about a foot in the air and landing back on the bed. It wouldn't have been a problem at all if it wasn't for the fact that she's in pain.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor boo-boo. Hope she's feeling better soon. It's always worse when they are that young.

Even if she's not comfortable with you touching/petting her, staying near her will help. She's a lucky kitty having you.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The shots are given under the skin usually at her shoulder, scruff of the neck, or hip. I don't know why her belly would be tender. My cats didn't react at all to the shots, but I haven't heard this one before. Maybe some others here have had experience with it.

Which shots did she get? Is she eating and peeing normally?

You should call the vet as soon as you can to find out if this is a typical side effect or whet her there is something else going on.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been catching up and reading about your progress.
Originally Posted by mrblanche

It's great you're learning about kittens and cats. They can be very puzzling, annoying, even maddening at times, especially if you don't know where behaviors come from.
So true. I don't know how many times I threatened to make a white fur handbag out of Aristotle.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

There is nothing as soothing as a purring kitten next to you in a warm bed, however.
My Dad found this out after he married Mom and her cat soon became his cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Been catching up and reading about your progress.

So true. I don't know how many times I threatened to make a white fur handbag out of Aristotle.

My Dad found this out after he married Mom and her cat soon became his cat.
We always threaten to make them slippers!

Laurie

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we threaten to sell Luna to the Chinese restaurant!

It's my uncle who started it

he has a 17 year siamese and a siamese mix, both rambunctious

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

we threaten to sell Luna to the Chinese restaurant!

It's my uncle who started it

he has a 17 year siamese and a siamese mix, both rambunctious
I was thinking about this today when I was driving during my break to get lunch. On the way to get the food, I see a vet clinic on the left which I saw a few times before. But today I noticed what was next to it: a Chinese restaurant. I should think twice before eating there