I have a feral cat thats orange (red) with tabby markings and some white paws as well as under his

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
........he has a torti-shell patch on his left shoulder???
Arent calico males sterial ?? Or is this common for cats to have this type
Of coloration?? Or can torti males successfully bred and make kittens??
I'm just really confused...he had attempted
(dont know if he succeeded, cause I walked in...) To mate With my female
Calico cat Bebe, and I'm kind of puzzled at the moment ...just looking for
Anyone who can give me any info on this..thanks

Btw, excuse any spelling errors..damn touch screens!!!

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would really need a photo to see the proper colours but male torties certainly do exist and are not always sterile, I know of several working make tortie stud boys

Hope you can trap him and the female to get them both fixed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response, I dont have to trap him he
Is part of my family he comes and goes as he pleases,
Hes not so feral anymore thanks to love and food lol
He will be getting fixed when the cat van comes, but my
Female calico bebe can't handle anstisha she could die!!!
So I'm not sure how to get her fixed, any suggestions??
I will attempt to post a picture in this forme, its complicated
do so over this stupid touch screen phone....grrrr, just give me
A little bit xox

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you know she can't handle anesthetic? Could it be the type used? As there are several

If she truly can't be spayed I'd have her on the suprelorin implant or similar so she's not going in and out of heat risking pyometra which can be deadly if not caught early

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you know she can't handle anesthetic? Could it be the type used? As there are several
If she truly can't be spayed I'd have her on the suprelorin implant or similar so she's not going in and out of heat risking pyometra which can be deadly if not caught early
The mother of my calico couldnt handle it and 3 of her siblings
Had died trying to be spade and when I told the vet this she
Thought it was unlikely, I pushed for a test and when they put
Her under she almost didnt wake up!! And took a long time to
Recover she almost didnt pull through!! I was really scared for her
They wanted to try a different kind a few months later and they started to
admin the anastesia but wouldn't go through with the spay cause
They said it was too risky, so I didnt wanna go through that again

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is interesting. The pattern is not the typical tortie pattern of blotches of different colors, but rather looks like one big spot. So I wonder if it may be due to a somatic mutation or he may be a chimera. I've seen photos of dogs with similar markings, where the dog is say tan but has one big spot of black on him, which is called a "mismark" and it's usually caused by one of those two (mutation or chimerism).

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is chimerisum?? I know it's really strange, I've never s seen anything like it.
But whats really weird is that you can't really see in the photo but it's actually not just a big spot but it
Breaks up at one point and wraps around his arm in one spot??
Idk what caused this but hes my handsome boy!! But I wanna i/o more and find out what caused it

Thanks for your input!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the anesthetic, it could just have been the kind used. Ketamine for instance is known to cause issues but seems quite commonly used in the US

They should have spayed her when she was under the first time

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the anesthetic, it could just have been the kind used. Ketamine for instance is known to cause issues but seems quite commonly used in the US
They should have spayed her when she was under the first time
That's what I was thinking? Why waste the anesthetic?

But getting pregnant is dangerous for her, too. What if she needs a c-section? You don't have time to shop around in an emergency. Just remaining unspayed can cause issues, too, and if she needs an emergency spay due to pyometra you'll have a lot less time to find a safer anesthetic. After her kittens are weaned (if she is indeed pregnant), I'd recommend finding a vet who uses a safer drug (Sevoflurane is considered the safest but isoflurane is also good. No Metacam or ketamines!) And is comfortable with riskier spays. It'll be safer for her in the long run.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is chimerisum?? I know it's really strange, I've never s seen anything like it.
Basically chimerism/chimera means there were originally two fertilized eggs, but instead of developing separately they fused together early in pregnancy so instead of two kittens you have one kitten whose cells come from a combination of two eggs. This can give you odd patterns where an animal may have a big patch of another color randomly on their body, or weird mixed-in splotches. It's pretty unusual, but possible.

Another possibility is a somatic mutation that is dealing with the cat's colo-- when the embryo is forming, if the mutation happens in a cell at a certain point in development it is possible for all the cells in one area to "inherit" the mutation because they divided from the original mutated cell, in which case all the cells in that area of the body would have the mutation. If that mutation altered the hair color, it would result in the hair in that area only having the different fur color.

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Basically chimerism/chimera means there were originally two fertilized eggs, but instead of developing separately they fused together early in pregnancy so instead of two kittens you have one kitten whose cells come from a combination of two eggs. This can give you odd patterns where an animal may have a big patch of another color randomly on their body, or weird mixed-in splotches. It's pretty unusual, but possible.
Another possibility is a somatic mutation that is dealing with the cat's colo-- when the embryo is forming, if the mutation happens in a cell at a certain point in development it is possible for all the cells in one area to "inherit" the mutation because they divided from the original mutated cell, in which case all the cells in that area of the body would have the mutation. If that mutation altered the hair color, it would result in the hair in that area only having the different fur color.

Yea I looked it up last night,i heard about that didnt know what it was called
I also read that sometimes they have both male and female cells???
I'm not sure if thats the case though.

And regarding my calico bebe, I'll check around....idk what us do if something
Happened to her, shes mamas kitten!!!