i have a crazy kitten!

kberker90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little ball of joy is a nutcase! One minute hes playing & biting, the next hes curled up around my neck, purring & sucking it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kberker90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sure hes just being affectionate. .this is normal right?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, sounds like normal kitten behavior to me, too. Just don't let him play and bite your hands. That can cause behavior problems long down the line.

Most of my ladies act the same way as your kitten, and Silly is 14. The youngest two, S&S, are over two years old, Julie is over six and Sheba is over seven (we think).

kberker90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I honestly dont know how old he is. Anywhere from 5-8 weeks. His father is a Bengal and his mom a dsh. Hes too cute for words. Quite excited that his spots are starting to show! I wonder how big he's going to get

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal behavior. My kitten is on my shoulder as I type this, purring away as he licks my earlobe. He's been really into my earlobes this past week, and I know it's a comfort thing for him, so I let him purr away as long as he's gentle, which he is.

But yeah...it's truly amazing how quickly they can go from being whirlwinds of energy, to lounging, affectionate purr machines.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a 7 week old kitten yesterday.  He can get nippy when he wakes up from a nap and wants playtime immediately.  When he starts trying to nip my fingers I give him a toy to chew on instead. I have a toy that is for teething cats.  This morning when he woke up he went to his toy instead of my fingers. I am making sure the toy is within reach in any room his in. He has not been with me for 24 hours yet and this is already working really well.

kberker90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has so many toys..I've tried to distract him with them but it doesn't work. He goes for any piece of skin h. can see. .inclincluding my face. I don't know what to do :(

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten has so many toys..I've tried to distract him with them but it doesn't work. He goes for any piece of skin h. can see. .inclincluding my face. I don't know what to do 
One thing I have found about toys is that my kitten probably won't be interested if I just give him a toy and encourage him to play with it...BUT if I hold the toy, or have it with me where he can see it for a while, eventually he is going to want to know what it is, how it tastes, what it feels like when he bites into it or paws at it.

I read advice somewhere that said you've got to let your kitten or cat think it's *her* idea to explore or play with something, and that's so true. If you've been holding a toy ball for a few hours, putting it in your lap, bouncing it, etc., and then you put it in a place that's your territory, your cat won't be able to resist checking out this apparently illicit, fantastic item when you're not looking.

It's also why cats, dogs and babies seem to like cell phones and remote controls so much -- they see daddy or mommy using them all the time, and they emulate. If we're always holding that shiny iPhone, then surely it must be fantastic to touch, taste and bite!