I HATE this couch! Argh!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a hand me down couch that I DESPISE... but Gary doesnt want to spend the money on a new couch because Google is still a bit crazy and has ruined a few pieces of furniture, and yes he has a scratching post, yes we trim his nails (it usually results in me bleeding.... we have been clipping since he was 8 weeks old...) and yes we have tried soft paws... they last about 2 days and still result in me bleeding. So I have a feeling I am stuck with the darned thing for a while. Its made out of this odd material that almost seems like corduroy or maybe a tweed? It has a weave pattern to it, thats about all I know... But anyways hair ATTACKS it! And WILL NOT come off! I have one of those pledge fabric sweepers and it doesnt work, the sticky ones dont work, and the vacuum he also got handed down doesnt have the hose attachments...
When I clean the couch I usually sit there and pick every bit of hair off so that it is loose and then use the fabric sweeper on it and it picks up fine. But if I have to do that one more time, the couch may go out the window....
Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a brand of hand held to get? We only have 1 large rug and 3 small ones in the entire house, so I dont want to spend a lot on a vac... please any suggestions?!

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm...I've got this corduroy-like mat in my hallway that does the same thing. Not even my vacuum does a great job on it, nor will sticky-rolls or tape or a damp rag.

Then I tried a cat brush and it came right up, so I tried my bathroom scrub brush and it did the same thing!
Perhaps a stiff bristle brush would do the job on your couch?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My solution is to sew together two kingsize bedspreads and drape them over the sofa, tucking it in around the seat and letting it hang over the arms. It's very casual, but you can choose a fabric that kittyfur won't cling to, and you can also just throw it in the washer when you need to. If you use a smaller throw on a chair and toss some pillows around, it'll look like you were going for Casual Chic all along! :-)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a microfibre couch and Trout basically leaves it alone.

My last couch was also microfibre and she didn't touch that one either.. I don't think they like the feeling.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My solution is to sew together two kingsize bedspreads and drape them over the sofa, tucking it in around the seat and letting it hang over the arms. It's very casual, but you can choose a fabric that kittyfur won't cling to, and you can also just throw it in the washer when you need to. If you use a smaller throw on a chair and toss some pillows around, it'll look like you were going for Casual Chic all along! :-)
I rather like that idea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zendora

Hmm...I've got this corduroy-like mat in my hallway that does the same thing. Not even my vacuum does a great job on it, nor will sticky-rolls or tape or a damp rag.

Then I tried a cat brush and it came right up, so I tried my bathroom scrub brush and it did the same thing!
Perhaps a stiff bristle brush would do the job on your couch?
I may have to try that one!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

We keep blankets on the back, but where it reclines we cant really do a slip cover as well. The blankets on the back usually help a lot!

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

We have a microfibre couch and Trout basically leaves it alone.

My last couch was also microfibre and she didn't touch that one either.. I don't think they like the feeling.
I will keep that in mind! Google is more just crazy and runs around and springs off of it. Thats how he has ruined our furniture so far. He never really picks at it luckily!

Originally Posted by Draco

http://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Fabric-.../dp/B003TNA6AE

Pledge fabric sweeper works for me. I use it every night before I go to bed since my cat likes to sleep on my spot on the bed. Gets every bit off!
Yep thats what I have now, doesnt even touch the fur. I love to use it for like the bed and stuff, but whatever this couch is made of just will not let fur go!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't have a suggestion to get the fur off that kind of fabric. I use Scotch Fur Fighter on some things with some success (not perfect).

But, I have had really great success in training my cats to avoid upholstered fabric by the use of the Sticky Paws two sided tape. I put it on the most frequently attacked places. I used it for 2 to 6 months, depending on the stubbornness of the particular cat, and then I took it off. Some I had to put it back on for, for a while, because they weren't "cured" yet.

Sometimes you need a variety of kinds of scratching "posts." I have 5 in my house, all different materials and shapes, and some cats won't touch certain ones. They all like the Smartcat Ultimate Scratching Post, however. It's expensive, though.

Robin

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually dont have a problem with him scratching on the furniture. Its more he jumps up on the leather chairs and night stands and it leaves little scratches. Gary doesnt get that its not the highest quality of stuff, so the leather and stain are both rather thin. We are in the process of building him a large scratching post/cat tree which will hopefully keep him off of our night stand though!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a high quality leather chair (made in England and purchased at a high end furniture store in downtown Chicago) that I've had for about 25 years. I had a kitten (who is now deceased after living over 18 years) who clawed the heck out of it, not deliberately. So, high quality leather also can get damaged by cats.

I still have it. It is in the guest room. I consider it naturally "distressed." But, I never got any more leather furniture. I don't think it goes well with cats.

Robin

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh yeah I agree that even the high end stuff will get damaged! We had a high end leather couch and arm chair with a great dane! LOL! However, the stuff we have no is just so crazy thin! I am actually going to be going to the fabric store this weekend and recovering the chairs I believe! Mostly because we have broken Google from getting on them. I am thinking about trying to find a cheap couch on craigslist that is a bit of an upgrade w/o costing an arm and a leg! or maybe go up to his uncles auction and see if they have any scratch or dents that I like for a decent price!