I hate clothes shopping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about ill-fitting foxxycat.  I would love to have a black dress that fits any occasion.  However I'd have to go to a professional tailor.  My butt is two sizes bigger than my top, so a dress off the rack is either way too tight in the rump or practically falling off on top.  Skirt and shirt is not a happy compromise when you really want a one-piece dress, and I can't find a skirt that works for me because I'm short.  Skirts that aim for mid-calf are ankle length on me and skirts that aim for the knee are mid-calf.  I can do a basic hem, but taking up a skirt by 6 to 9 inches - having to figure out the hemline while I am in it bending over trying to pin in the exact spot and removal of the extra fabric so that the weight of all those inches don't rip out the hem - is a bit beyond me.

And sivyaleah, you are right, plus sized stores are just weird.  I was recently new in town looking for a blazer for a bank job interview.  The plus size women's stores didn't have blazers, didn't have suit separates, and they were pulling out things like sky blue outfits with flowers when I said I needed an interview suit for a bank job.  Huh????  Yeah, that's real professional.  Though to be fair, when I did finally find a Lane Bryant, they did have suit separates.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I so understand how hard it is to find dresses. I gave up. my hips are much wider than my shoulders..and to find a dress that has enough room without the back hem coming up 3 inches shorter than the front..I carry my weight in my butt and thighs. no bust and no belly or at least not as big as it should be. I have bulky shoulders so I can't do strapless tops-I look like a football player..can't do close in straps in the front- has to be wide spaced to make it look nicer. I used to have a few dresses from Express but I can't fit into them anymore..I think I sent them on their way last year..gave up on those sizes. I just say I hit menopause. That's my story and I am sticking to it. I still try to find fun clothes but I have no place to wear them...and being sensitive to skin issues I can't take most fabrics..too scratchy, pulls or just yuck. no nono!. Give me basics with appealing cut that makes me look mature but not frumpy. and no I won't wear yoga pants other than the gym. just No. um No!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I don't even know who they make womens' clothes to fit anyway. When I was younger I had a nice hourglass figure, large bust, the idealized woman's body, right? And I couldn't find anything---pants gapped at the waist, shirts were too large in the shoulders and not large enough in the bust, etc. And now I've put on weight and my body shape has changed, and I still can't find anything. If you know a woman who can actually find clothes that fit correctly, give her a medal! :lol3:

I've started wearing mens' pants, it began when I went looking for womens' cargo pants and the only ones I could find, even online, cost at least $70 and had narrow legs. One day I happened to see mens' cargo pants at Costco for $20, and I thought, hey what the heck I'll try them, can't hurt, if they don't fit I'll return them. They fit, way better than any womens' pants. And they have real pockets. Not sure I'll ever want to wear womens' pants again. I like having real pockets!

I don't wear button-up shirts at all. Only sweatshirts and t-shirts. For "dressy" clothes I wear a fancier t-shirt ;). Skirts aren't too hard to find but I don't wear them often. Forget about dresses. At work I have a uniform shirt, that I wear with the mens' pants. Technically my uniform allowance covers pants too, but the uniform pants are horrible and I'm allowed to wear any gray or navy blue pants so I'd rather wear my own.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm curious about those black jeans. Do you remember the brand they are? So far I got a few Cherokee brand and Lee black jeans but they just don't fit as well as they could. I don't know why I wear all black. I used to be all bright colors but as I gained weight I felt I looked silly in bright colors..so I wear dark blues and blacks for now. I still wear bright color tops but no floral patterns and yes I agree with you-I don't care for those accessories on my shirts=no ribbons, sequins and other bizarre things...some gals can get away with it but with me nope. nope. same with elastic. nope. nope!
They are by Style & Co., which I believe, is a Macy's house brand.  They are fairly inexpensive also.  On sale, I can pick them up for about $30 a pair.  

They are a stretch denim, so there is some give in them.  Comes in black and about 3 denim tones and in different leg styles (boot cut, slim, straight and whatever the one I'm wearing is). They did recently phase out my favorite style, a loose leg but the one they replaced it with is seems to be exactly the same.  Very comfy on the tummy section and waist 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely wear a dress anymore. On winter days when I have meetings, sometimes I'll wear a skirt with a sweater and tights. I prefer pencil skirts. But can't even tell you when the last time was I wore a dress. I know that I tried a dress on back in December 2015 when we had to go to a wedding. And ended up wearing a pair of dress pants.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hated shoping when i was super skinny at 106 pounds, 5' 4". But it was my natural frame. I used to wear xs tops and true size 0 pants. It was actually very hard to find affordable clothes for more petite girls. But then i turned 29 and my metabolism slowed down and i gained 7 pounds in a year. Now that i wear size small tops and am one more size up in pants its a little easier i guess. But still yeah shopping takes so long, its a drag. All our bodies are so different its hard to fit into standard sizes sometimes since women tend to wear fitted clothes. For example my frame is thin and im not tall but my shoulders are a bit broad and i have meatier arms. Sometimes i feel like the hulk in tops because my rib cage is still small.

Last edited: