I hate airplanes!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I don't like planes either. There's a base just south of town--I can see it from my house. There are planes flying over 24/7. In 1954, a TCA (Trans-Canada Airlines) crashed with a Harvard and landed on my friend's house. 35 or so people died. To make it even worse, last summer I was at the air show here in town and two biplanes crashed and both pilots died.
Thats sad, but its just the same as driving, how many people have died in a car accident in the past week?

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your parents made it home ok.

I used to be a nervous flyer until I started working in the industry I am in--aerospace engineering. I work for a company that makes jet engine parts (and other airplane parts), and I have spent so many months learning how often they are serviced, what the life of a part is, etc that I am now a confident flyer.

The people on the plane make me much more nervous than the plane itself.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissintheSouth

I used to be a nervous flyer until I started working in the industry I am in--aerospace engineering. I work for a company that makes jet engine parts (and other airplane parts), and I have spent so many months learning how often they are serviced, what the life of a part is, etc that I am now a confident flyer.
Cool! That's 3 of us here that I know of that work in aviation: you, me and Miss Mew.

I too find that the more you know about planes (versus the half truths and lies the media reports) the better you feel about flying.