I Had To Forcibly Catch My Cat And Now She Hates Me

ontarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is an inside cat but she likes to try to run out the front door. Because of this, whenever I'm doing something that requires the door to be opened and shut over and over again or left partially open or anything like that, I put her in a back room with the door closed out of an abundance of safety. She's never been too happy about this, but she's never been *traumatized* by it. Some momentary huffiness/indignation that goes away within like a half hour. She's about three years old and that's the most that's ever come of it.

Today, I went grocery shopping which meant I had to bring in multiple loads of bags. So I come in to get her but something must have tipped her off because she immediately started avoiding/running from me. Normally I can just pick her up or at most lure her with a treat or toy or whatever, but she was having none of this. Waiting for her to be okay with this on her time wasn't really an option because I have raw meat, melting stuff, and so on sitting in my car in the sun. So I had to chase her and catch her. She's a cat so she's obviously faster and more agile than me which meant I had to chase her for several minutes before I could catch her. And the only way I managed was by pinning her down as she tried to scrabble away after creating a sort of barricade of armchairs she had no choice but to climb over in front of me. I also had to repeatedly force her out of various things she was trying to hide under/behind by moving it. I was getting more and more angry as this went on so I'm sure my body signs and general demeanor just got scarier and scarier to make matter worse.

She stays in the room for the 5ish minutes it takes me to bring in the bags and then I go get her. She let me pick her up and pet her, but I could tell she was super tense so I put her down. She immediately ran away and hid. I've mostly left her alone figuring she needed time to chill out. It's now been like 12 hours and she won't tolerate me approaching her at all. I don't mean like locking eyes with her and trying to pick her up either. I mean like I turn around in my chair and notice she's on the other side of the room and she immediately runs away in terror. I mean like I walk to the kitchen not even looking at her and she runs away and hides under the bed. I've tossed her treats from a distance across the room and then left so she could eat them. I've done that a couple of times now but nothing has changed, though she does eat the treats once I leave. The few times she happens to have been closer than like half a room away from me and I look at her or move in her direction, she hisses at me.

I've tried sitting on the floor and actively ignoring her while playing on my phone but she just leaves the room and won't come back in so long as I'm there.

Very frustrated. It also probably doesn't help that my emotions are like half upset/sorry that she hates me/but still half annoyed that I was reduced to chasing the silly cat because she wouldn't come to me in the first place. She's a cat and you can't explain that to her, but I'm sure she can still detect my annoyance somehow.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor you, poor kitty. She just doesn't realize that you were trying to keep her safe. I'm pretty sure she'll get over her annoyance and be back to her lovable self soon. Probably by the time her next meal time rolls around.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure she will get over it soon. Just try to go about your business as normally as possible. Talk to her softly and calmly, but don't try to approach her. And, rubysmama rubysmama is probably right, her next meal - or perhaps two - will probably make a difference.

But, perhaps you want to try a few other ways to stop her from running out the door? See if there is anything in the TCS article that might interest you.

How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's disturbed that you lost your mind and locked her in her room. However, she's waiting to be sure you are sane again. That's all. If she was really frightened of you, she would have put long deep scratches on you when you grabbed her to put her in the room And again later when you picked her up afterward. Right now she's just making sure you're okay.

The best thing you can do is stop trying to get her to come to you. Clear your mind and your emotions. Relax into a serene place and simply be there. This is the you she is waiting for.

As Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested music will probably help. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner suggested that article is really helpful.