I guess it's about time I registered...

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hows the search going?

I got Duke from a lady who advertised on a site like the first one you posted (way back). She turned out to be a BYB. We got Duke when he was only 6weeks old (way too young to leave mom!). Well, thats considered animal cruelty, so we called animal control on her. I love Duke and I couldn't even begin to imagine not having him in my life. But I will never again go through this just to save money. Duke had some issues when we first got him too. Find out if your potential breeder is registered with TICA, ACFA or CFA. Go on some siamese specific forums and e-mail lists and ask about the breeder (I can PM them to you if you want). While visiting the cattery is highly recommended, its not 100% necessary. I am adopting a bengal kitten from a breeder in Montana. She's a great breeder per her peers and the registries and breed associations. I've seen pictures of her cats, her cats pedigrees (which are pretty darn good), and she has updated me regularly on my new babies health and temperament. I should note, though, that I paid a whole lot more than $550 for him, but his price is in line with what other reputable breeders charge for a cat of his quality.

I really hate to think of all the cats (like Duke) that are bred by BYBs. I wish I could have taken the whole litter, but I wasn't prepared to spend any more than I had brought for one and she wouldn't budge on that. I regret that now...

Anyway, good luck with your search and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks tiffany, I'm sorry to hear that about Duke but I'm glad you reported her to animal control... and I'm glad he's in a great home now. I worry a great deal when I see any kitten advertised as being only six weeks old. I've read that 12-16 is the norm and that makes perfect sense. Mischief is a year and a half and he STILL sucks on my clothing... a habit of which I hope he grows out of someday. He was a stray when he found us but I just know he didn't spend enough time with his mother.

The search is going great, thanks!
There have been a few updates since my last post...

As I mentioned, the breeder of the Siambella Cattery in Montreal kept my name and number. I then discovered www.thaifong.ca and have since contacted this breeder regarding what I'm looking for... she has two litters on the way and will call me, if and when she has any chocolate-points.

Also, on http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/sia_can.html#Ontario I've contacted Susan Perkins (Ayuthaya Cattery) and believe it or not, she has a chocolate point that's almost ready to go... a woman from Rochester is 'supposedly' purchasing the kitten but nothing is definite as of yet, so she promised to contact me by next Tuesday to let me know. I'm probably getting my hopes up but I SEVERELY hope she opts not to take the kitten, in the end.

Actually, some of the kittens on Thaifong were originally purchased from Ayuthaya.
Here are the chocolate-points, in particlular:

Amoretta

Amoroso

Obviously, I'm extremely hopeful... and maybe this time next week, I'll be extremely happy!
So cross your fingers everyone and send good vibes my way.