I got mad at Binky today................

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well me and Binky got into a fight today. He Was hungry and I didn't sleep well because of my back.

So I was scratching his belly and he scratched the back of my hand. I started to get hives from that.

So I threw him out, I opened the front door and said  "go now, get out" but he stared at the door and

I was watching him on camera and I could hear him "meowing" while walking in circles.

So I went down and let him back in and just yelled at him and pointing to my hand.

I was saying "NO, NO, NO"  and pointing to my hand at the same time. So disappeared and went into hiding.

I didn't want to feed him because I had to punish him and show him who is boss. Plus he has dry food all the time

sitting there. But he was good all night and let me take pictures of him. in which I uploaded.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's rather doubtful that he made the connection after the fact and now probably thinks you're just being mean to him. It's normally enough to say "ouch" (or hiss) rather loudly when they scratch and withdraw attention immediately. He was probably overstimulated. Watch for a twitching tail and/or his ears going back when you're petting/scratching him and stop when you see either of those signs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's rather doubtful that he made the connection after the fact and now probably thinks you're just being mean to him. It's normally enough to say "ouch" (or hiss) rather loudly when they scratch and withdraw attention immediately. He was probably overstimulated. Watch for a twitching tail and/or his ears going back when you're petting/scratching him and stop when you see either of those signs.
Someone told me that he was probably to stimulated  and he wasn't trying to intentionally scratch me. I was scratching under his chin and he kept sliding down, so when I moved my hand he was trying to stop me. He knew I was mad by hiding somewhere, but I called him and whistled and he keep right to me rubbing his head on my hand and layed next to me. Then I fed him and he was pretty much near me the whole day. I'll learn.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is good that Binky hanged around until your anger subsided. Some cats would have done what you said and never come back. 
lol, Yeah I was half asleep and had a bad night of pain. He is so use to going outside that he ran out without thinking.

At  first I let him out twice a day for a few hours, but there is cat in the neighborhood that bit a woman and the cat had rabies.

They did get the cat however. But I decided I want a clean, safe, less diseases, etc...

I did go out and buy him a few toys with catnip, he doesn't seem to care about them though hmmm???

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you had a fight. Happens all the time, between friends. The question isn't, "How can we learn never to get into fights?", but, "How can we fight without hurting each other and make up afterwards?" Sounds like you made up just fine.

Both you and Binky have some learning to do, I guess. Tiny and I had to learn how to get along, too, and I still don't get it sometimes. The species gap isn't exactly a trivial obstacle. Binky has to learn that he can get you to stop petting him without scratching you. And you should keep learning about how he communicates, so you can tell when he's annoyed and doesn't want to be petted anymore. Perhaps he can learn that if he squirms away you will stop messing with him. My cat Tiny often pushes my hand away with his paw when he has had enough. Sometimes when you have a hyper cat like that, a few scratches are the only way both of you are going to learn how to get along with each other. Just make sure to wash the scratches thoroughly. It sounds like you have an allergic reaction; even if you didn't... well, they use those claws to scratch in the litter box.
So, yeah, soap and water, possibly antiseptic.

Kitties do learn best from your immediate reaction. Cause-effect. They have an ability to plan only for a very short time span, so they don't think too far into the future. If an event occurs while another event is still in short-term memory, they will connect it easily. If it takes longer for an effect to follow a cause, they may take forever to learn it, or maybe not at all.

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, sorry about the "fight." But it sounds like you can chalk it up to experience.

About the toys you bought, not all cats go crazy for catnip. Do you have toys that you can use to play with him, the two of you together?

spottedlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first thing I would suggest is never throw or put the cat out. Instead I would have a time out area like a bathroom. Letting the cat know that something hurts you like saying ouch at the time he is biting would be enough. Once you sense that he is getting over stimulated you should stop. Cats when they are upset with you they will generally turn their back on you. In cat language it is one of the highest forms of insults. If he starts acting out, say ouch, then get up and walk away sit down somewhere preferably with your back towards him. When he sees you ignoring him he will probably come over and apologize but maybe not right away. 

On a different note I would suggest getting a good book on clicker training your cat, Marilyn Krieger has a couple of good books on cat behavior and clicker training. There are others as well. Clicker training is great way to start communicating with your cat. Once your cat realizes that there is so much more to interacting with you his disposition generally changes. Many cats love to learn and have you clicker train them. 

I started with Seyah a few months after I got him and once he made the connection I could see it in his eyes how excited he was. 

Leonard. D

spotted love savananhs

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Three years ago I'd never been around cats before, and Ritz had never been around a humane human (dumped on streets with brothers and sisters). It was two years before Ritz trusted me enough for belly rubs. We are both still learning cat/human interaction. I hope I never stop learning.

I've learned to watch Ritz' body language, from tail to claws.  With regarding to petting agression, I stop before I even think I've been petting Ritz too long.  If she head butts me or streches her neck, then I know she still wants some cuddling.  When she turns onto her back, I 'know' she is asking for a belly rub; but again, I'll stop periodically.  If she puts her hands where my hands are, that's my clue "not tonight dear, I've had enough".

Ritz has no reaction to cat nip; Binky might really enjoy the hunt and pounce of toy (toy mouse at end of string).  Initially I didn't like to play with Ritz, it was kind of boring to me.  Then I saw how much Ritz enjoys playing, so now I do too.

Another lesson I learned:  sometimes it's not you, it's the cat.  Cats get moody just like humans, don't take it personally.  I'm *still* learning that lesson.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are very sensitive when it comes to belly rubs. They show you their belly and it seems like they want a rub, but it's a sensitive area and they get overstimulated quickly. Maybe just avoid belly rubs with Binky and you won't get scratched ? A belly rub might signal rough play to him.

I agree with the others that he won't know what you mean if you point to your hand later and say no. Give him a hiss when he is doing something you don't like. Just like a mother cat would do. Cats don't understand punishment but they do understand what hissing means. You are speaking his language.

Wishing you and Binky a happy new year together.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed in another post you got him his rabies shot yesterday. Maybe you accidentally pet his sore spot and that's why he scratched.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So you had a fight. Happens all the time, between friends. The question isn't, "How can we learn never to get into fights?", but, "How can we fight without hurting each other and make up afterwards?" Sounds like you made up just fine.

Both you and Binky have some learning to do, I guess. Tiny and I had to learn how to get along, too, and I still don't get it sometimes. The species gap isn't exactly a trivial obstacle. Binky has to learn that he can get you to stop petting him without scratching you. And you should keep learning about how he communicates, so you can tell when he's annoyed and doesn't want to be petted anymore. Perhaps he can learn that if he squirms away you will stop messing with him. My cat Tiny often pushes my hand away with his paw when he has had enough. Sometimes when you have a hyper cat like that, a few scratches are the only way both of you are going to learn how to get along with each other. Just make sure to wash the scratches thoroughly. It sounds like you have an allergic reaction; even if you didn't... well, they use those claws to scratch in the litter box.
So, yeah, soap and water, possibly antiseptic.

Kitties do learn best from your immediate reaction. Cause-effect. They have an ability to plan only for a very short time span, so they don't think too far into the future. If an event occurs while another event is still in short-term memory, they will connect it easily. If it takes longer for an effect to follow a cause, they may take forever to learn it, or maybe not at all.
To be honest I was half asleep and he kept "meowing" and walking on my head and coming up  to my face meowing like crazy. The scratches were surface scratche but showed blood and I kept pouring peroxide on my hand.  he was telling me "get up  I'm hungry" I did sleep long due to the waking up all night trying to reposition myself. but we did ok \, he was outside about 2-4 minutes lol.

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It happens. They're really good about bugging you when you're trying to sleep! Sounds like you guys have made up.

Just look at those eyes in the second pic! Adorbs!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Those brown tabby boys are just the cutest!

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed in another post you got him his rabies shot yesterday. Maybe you accidentally pet his sore spot and that's why he scratched.
No I never got his rabies shot . I may have said I was getting his rabies shots This Friday. Sorry I may have typ-O'd

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For anyone I may have missed and to  all the nice people again, Thank You very much for the kind words and nice compliments.

You all have very fancy gorgeous felines (is that right?, lol), I can see why you are all so proud, I envy you all.

I let Binky out last night/ morning time like 1:00am EST. after being stuck in this house for 7 days. I thought maybe he was

tired of me and this house, just by the way he was acting and I felt like I was holding him captive or against his will inside.

Binky doesn't understand that I was trying to protect him from 20 degree weather,trucks, dog, diseases and someone stealing him.

Well he never came back and that's when I figured he needed a place to sack for a few weeks. So I figured it was time to shut off

the monitor, well I did my bedtime rituals then came into the bedroom and on the monitor Binky was sitting on the porch meowing.

and happy to see me and couldn't wait to get in that door and stood far away from it. So I was very happy and haven't been to bed all night.

So I had a boiled turkey burger and I have a mini grinder/chopper, so I chopped it into the way cat food is, but b4 I did it added 2 dashes of soy sauce.

So he ate half of it, I had just fed him at 8:00pm, so he wasn't to hungry but I figure along with his dry food, he'd have his turkey that's left when I fall asleep.

I think Binky likes me for real and not just for the food. I gave him the food because I was happy he came home.

So My New Year is some what going well and I WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES AND KITTIES

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also here they are very common. My sister (animal lover adopts everything lol) told me that for a stray Binky looks very healthy and clean:clap:
Yep. Brown mackerel tabby is the coloring they had in the wild before anybody domesticated them, and it's still the dominant coloring (both geneticially and in terms of the number of cats that have brown mackerel tabby fur).

For example:

This isn't a domestic cat, or even a feral; it's an African wildcat. This is the species our cats descended from. You can see the wild tabby stripes--a form of camouflage that looks like sunlight filtering through branches and helps the cat stalk its prey. A brown mackerel tabby has the same coloring that its wild ancestors did. That's probably part of why I find it so enchanting.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This isn't a domestic cat, or even a feral; it's an African wildcat. This is the species our cats descended from. You can see the wild tabby stripes--a form of camouflage that looks like sunlight filtering through branches and helps the cat stalk its prey. A brown mackerel tabby has the same coloring that its wild ancestors did. That's probably part of why I find it so enchanting.
That is a beautiful wildcat, that  can easily be mistaken for a domesticated cat easily. I love athe lines how they are so in sync with the rest of everything else.