I got in a debate yesterday.....about towels

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that there should be no reason not to reuse them, but I just can't! I do have my kids reuse them sometimes, though. (5 people in the house makes for a lot of towel usage.)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I use my shower towel about 3 times. The hand towels are changed weekly as there are only two of us. I use a separate one for my face that my SO isn't allowed touch!
same here, except we change the hand towels more often as Matt and the workers he brings home don't always wash their hands completely before drying them

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't reuse towels -- but I do have a three-point system of conservation:

1. Today's after-shower towel...

2. ...becomes tomorrow's over-the-side-of-the-tub towel, where it serves to absorb drippage during the leg-shaving process...

3. ...and then becomes the day-after-tomorrow's floormat.

And I use a new washcloth both morning and night -- my skin is so sensitive that I just don't want to risk reusing a cloth that might have the slightest bit of bacteria growth on it.

To minimize laundry loads, I buy cheap, thin towels instead of the nice soft velour ones that weigh a ton.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

some people change towel every day?? that seems like such a waste.

I use two towels at a time... one for drying myself, one as a bath mat. Every 4-5 days, I put the bath mat one in the laundry, the drying one becomes the bath mat and I take a new drying towel. That means I wash about 2 towels a week.
I do exactly the same thing! LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear there are a lot more people that re-use towels!!! I don't feel like such a freak now!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reuse mine and I use two towels, one for my body and one for my hair. My husband only uses one because he has a 'high and tight' shaved head.
We wash ours once a week too. Heck, I even wash my bathroom mats but only about once a month or so. Those can get ruined in the wash quicker than towels can, in time.
I think the main reason I wash my towels is to get them clean because even if the water is clean, having them wet can cause mold after a while and I don't like having hair on them. I'm really finicky about hair.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to use a clean towel each time. The thought of drying my face off with the same place I may have dried my feet off with yesterday, no matter how clean, I just cannot stomach. So fresh clean towels daily.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People wash their towels after just ONE wear?!?!!? I couldn't handle doing that much washing for no reason!

I use the ends of the towel for my face, and the middle part of the towel for my feet and "bits", so I never feel as though I'm drying my face with anything even remotely gross.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I have to use a clean towel each time. The thought of drying my face off with the same place I may have dried my feet off with yesterday, no matter how clean, I just cannot stomach. So fresh clean towels daily.
That's what my 2nd hair towel's for. I don't like the idea much either.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one towel for my hair, and another for the rest of my. I generally change them every week or fortnight. As i do come out of the shower clean and i let the towels dry, i can not see why i would be changing them every day. I'd need to buy a tonne more towels for a start!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I reuse my towels, they get changed weekly. I keep 4 towels on the go: a face towel, a hand towel, a hair towel, and a body towel. I wouldnt dry my face with something I dried my behind with either!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh i have to just make note, when i come out of the shower i dry my face with my hair towel, not my body towel!
But i do also have a face washer next to the sink for those times i just want to refresh my face.

We are such organised creatures

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I mostly allow myself to drip dry. I only dry my hair, my face and upper body. Then I put on my fuzzy terry bathrobe and let the rest of me air dry. So I always know "where" my towel has been, LOL And because my towel is bearly wet after I've used it there is no way I am going to toss it into a hamper and pull out another one for the next shower.

I have a question for those who change their towels daily If you shower twice in a day does that mean you use 2 towels or do you reuse the one from earlier in the day? And do you do the laundry or does someone else?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I change towels every day, I don't like the thought of reusing. I also change my bed sheets every other day

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reuse. I use one for my hair and one for my body (and occasionally one for the floor if my roommate has used my shower...) And I can't imagine washing them everytime! Especially the hair towel... What's it got on it that it needs washing? Water?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I re use. I change them once a week. Same reasoning as most people have given - I'm not dirty when I get out of the shower and I couldn't cope with the laundry or the storage space required to use a new one every day. They'd soon go horrible if they were washed after every use too, not to mention the waste of electricity using the washing machine that often!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I 1st got married I changed/washed the towels weekly, with only the 2 of us. As my 3 boys reached their teens they maybe get changed more often bc they don't always hang them up. We also have our own place in the bathroom to hang them up, so there's no mix-up. We usually have different colors too, to prevent using each others towels. Its such a waste of water, power & time to wash them every day. We're in a drought & on water restrictions so every drop counts.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikat

Its such a waste of water, power & time to wash them every day. We're in a drought & on water restrictions so every drop counts.
What level are you guys on? We're on 3a, which apparently is till June 2008, who knows what happens after that. God i'm so worried about Christmas, it's so dry already

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I use the same towels again and again but I usually change them after 3-4 days.