i got attacked at work today

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caterpillarpie

oh the joy of working in mental health!
I know what you mean. My hubby's in mental health as well. He has permanent nerve damage in his wrist from a girl who slammed a metal trash can down on top of it.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I teach special education, so I feel for you...I get attacked by one or more of my children on a daily basis, one of them weighing more than myself at only 9 years old. I have another (most of my kids are severely autistic with moderate to severe mental retardation/disability), that is an eye poker, a kicker (feels great since he also wears an AFO on his leg), a pincher, and a biter. My class this year is tough...the hardest one I've had for awhile. Fortunately, we're making some progress, and some of the behaviors are decreasing. I guess the saving grace of this particular group is that they're all really cute kids...I have some sweet little faces in my room, and some scrappy attitudes!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are okay. I used to work in a behavior facility and I still work in a nursing home with alot of alzheimers patients, and I used to work in a MR hospital too and it takes a while to get used to but once you do its a really rewarding field to be in because that same person who attacked you today will tell you how much they love you the next day. And when they tell you that it just makes the bruises worth it. I have had about everything done to me other than being bit and the worst for me was when someone tried to bite me but had no teeth I didn't know they didn't have teeth until after they latched on because they were new I am always weary of being bitten. And I hate being spit on but its part of the job. And I am glad to see you shook it off like a pro and you sound like you will go far in this field.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caterpillarpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh, it happens regularly hence the training.
I still LOVE my job, if i ever battle to get up in the morning it's because I'm tired, not because I dont enjoy my work!