I got a new Pug puppy

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't plan on going into this uninformed.

I will find out all I need to do first.
So I assume then you'll have both his and hers hips xrayed for hip dysplasia? You're also going to check for any heart defects as well?

I think your dogs are adorable, but you're breeding them for the wrong reasons. I hope you realize a lot of pugs have problems birthing, many have puppies by c-section [although not as common as in Bulldogs, which is a common thing]. Also it's quite common for the moms to not be so motherly. We've had 3 clients at our clinic whose pug mommy's wanted nothing to do with the babies. The first two litters, they only had 2-3 pups so not a big deal, but the last one had 5 puppies and she had to bottle feed all of them round clock. This is all providing she doesn't have complications and not even make it through the birth.

I'm not trying to be nasty, just being honest. If you were breeding quality dogs, to improve the breed, and to bring out better dogs for the better of the breed, that's one thing. But breeding dogs because you can is really quite pointless. The 3-5 puppies your dog has is taking the homes of 3-5 shelter dogs who will be euthanized, or even 3-5 pugs in Pug RESCUES because nobody wanted them.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

So I assume then you'll have both his and hers hips xrayed for hip dysplasia? You're also going to check for any heart defects as well?

I think your dogs are adorable, but you're breeding them for the wrong reasons. I hope you realize a lot of pugs have problems birthing, many have puppies by c-section [although not as common as in Bulldogs, which is a common thing]. Also it's quite common for the moms to not be so motherly. We've had 3 clients at our clinic whose pug mommy's wanted nothing to do with the babies. The first two litters, they only had 2-3 pups so not a big deal, but the last one had 5 puppies and she had to bottle feed all of them round clock. This is all providing she doesn't have complications and not even make it through the birth.

I'm not trying to be nasty, just being honest. If you were breeding quality dogs, to improve the breed, and to bring out better dogs for the better of the breed, that's one thing. But breeding dogs because you can is really quite pointless. The 3-5 puppies your dog has is taking the homes of 3-5 shelter dogs who will be euthanized, or even 3-5 pugs in Pug RESCUES because nobody wanted them.
Thanks for that...I wanted to put that in but was waiting on a call back from my friend who breeds pugs that I posted about earlier...She has trouble with her pugs some simply do not want to be a mother-she has 4 breeding females now she had 6 she lost 2 due to complications after a c-section
She and I both cried it was a sad time. Pugs arent easy dogs and she has received calls from the local shelter who know her very well about her pugs being dropped off when the cute puppy phase wore off...and these are people who passed an extensive adoptive application and even signed that they would bring the puppy back should they be unable to keep it

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

Sorry if some of you don't approve, but my pups will go to good homes of people I know and keep in touch with or not at all.
It would still be several months from now.
Um don't you mean several years from now? You can't even test and certify their hips accurately until they are around 2 years, plus you will have to do other tests as well. I sure hope you don't just wait a few MONTHS to breed them. What are you going to do in the mean time when they male is ready to go and the female is in heat but they aren't old enough to breed yet? That will be tough to keep them apart.

Your puppies are cute and I have no problem with breeding, but working at a rescue shelter I cringe at the thought of backyard breeding like this. Please do it right and contact the breeder of BOTH dogs to make sure it is okay and see if they can help you. Assuming you got them from a QUALITY breeder not just someone who picked up two opposite sex dogs and decided to throw them together and sell the puppies. AND health screen them for hips and elbows and eyes and patellas and whatever other problems are common in the Pug breed.

Another thing to remember is that breeders make no money or barely break even. They usually lose money because they are breeding because they love the breed and want to improve it with their two excellent examples of the breed. If you are making money from breeding or want to do this with the idea of making money then just stop right now because you are absolutely in it for the wrong reasons.