I got a counterfeit $100 bill....from my bank!!!!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am shocked that your MIL's bank gave it back to her....they are not allowed to re-release couterfeit bills into circulation at all. I had a big fight with my bank about this. My DH did work for one of our neighbors (an elderly man) who went to his bank and withdrew $2100. I picked it up (still in the bank envelope w/his receipt in it) and took it to my bank to deposit it. They did the marker test on all the bills & told me one was a fake....I freaked out, it's impossible, it just came from another bank!!! They would not give it back to me, and would not help at all. They said it had to be sent in for testing to the federal reserve, and if it was legit they'd credit my acct. They never credited it to my acct either, and after many arguments with the bank manager their point of view is I could be making $100's in my basement, or know someone that is.....there is no proof otherwise. I couldn't even get it to take it back to the other mans bank cause they would not give it to me at all.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

they allowed her to keep it the second time and suggested that she just spend it because it passed the pen test
I didn't see that part. Yeah, that's encouraging the passing of counterfeit money. But it's her word against maddensmom's word and there is no proof that is what the teller said, unless there was a witness that heard the conversation too.

At the very least the teller should have spoken to the manager on duty at the time and kept the bill so that it was out of circulation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

i would be highly P.O.'d as a customer of their bank they should give you the benefit of the doubt. And since it is counterfeit and you brought it to their attention they should have kept the bill and given you another. No questions asked. If you did it 3 times a month then I could understand them not wanting to do it. But it was their mistake. They need to correct it.
I thought so too. My husband owns his own business and we have both had a checking account there for over six years! I'm in there almost every other day cashing and depositing checks for the business. This bank knows us. Its not like I walked into some random bank and tried to cash a counterfeit. Now I'm carrying this thing around in my wallet that more than likely is worth nothing to me. Like I said before, the hundred bucks hacks me off, but whats worse is the way that they handled it and the fact it got through in the first place. I don't care if it does pass the pen test. Every other bank in town runs them through a machine, I thought my bank did too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I didn't see that part. Yeah, that's encouraging the passing of counterfeit money. But it's her word against maddensmom's word and there is no proof that is what the teller said, unless there was a witness that heard the conversation too.

At the very least the teller should have spoken to the manager on duty at the time and kept the bill so that it was out of circulation.
My husband heard it, but so did the other four girls working in the bank, so really it is my word against hers. It dosen't really matter, its not like I have grounds to really do anything about it. I do have grounds to switch banks though. I need some "get your money back" vibes for Tuesday!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find a bank that is running a promotion for new customers. There are a few here that give you money when you open a certain account with a certain balance.