I go in for an endoscope tomorrow

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the incident nearly two weeks ago I've still been having problems with eating/digestion and nausea. Finally to the point that I'm going to have to do something after ignoring it for a few years.

My GI doc didn't think it sounded quite like the other Thursday was just a virus, either, with the continuing symptoms and that I'm still having to take some zofran, hence the endoscope.

Since my digestion is so slow I'm to only have soup and liquids today. I'm probably pushing it with the noodles in the lipton noodle soup atm, but this usually digests by 6 to 8 hours later (4-5 if I'm lucky). Supper will have to be completely liquid unless I want to leave a surprise for my doc.

He's going to take a look to see how much damage the heartburn has been causing and see if there's anything visibly wrong with my stomach. If he can't see anything in my stomach that would be causing the digestion problems then it will be on to more tests.

I'll be going to the hospital at 9am, the scope is scheduled for 10:45 but I suspect I'll be sitting around for a few hours longer.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I have had one of those done for some acid reflux/ulcer issues. It is not too bad but you will be looped for a good while afterwards from them knocking you out. On the other hand, it's very informative and you get some pretty neat pictures to look at
I hope they find out it's something easily fixed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH had one done last week (for caffeine and daily naproxen induced gastritis) and was only a bit out of it for 20 minutes or so.
By the time they brought him back to the room he was alert, joking with the nurse, and then texting on his phone.
I'm more resistant to stuff like that than he is, so we'll see how loopy it makes me.

Ugh, the soup isn't settling at all... I'm going to go take something and lay down if I want to keep it down.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm maybe I am just a lightweight then

They made sure I had a ride home, monitored me for just a little while and wheelchaired me to the car, and then I went home and slept it off

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sedate you or give you something for that!? I had one done less than 2 years ago, fully awake, no medication used. Luckily it was a short time, 15-20 mins.
Now I'm more pissed off again..
I heard people get sedation or anesthesia for other endoscopies as well over there, I've never gotten anything and I've been through several different endoscopies...Unfair an inhumane, I've been cheated!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, remind me never to have digestive issues in counties that don't.

Here they at least sedate you, or will fully anesthetize you.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was completely put under. I wonder if it depends on your insurance?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Insurances have no use here really, we have this health care system.. You get sedation/anesthesia only if you are a minor or a mentally disabled/invalid person.
Don't get sick in Finland!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck. Well I hope it goes as well as it can for you tomorrow. It's time for them to figure out what's wrong so you can get fixed and feel better!!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck hopefully they find whatevers wrong, so they can fix it for you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not too bad ... your throat will be sore for a bit ..prayers for a easy fix outcome..I was knocked out fully but I was 15 ish and it was a ER situation

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have very high hopes thats it's "fixable".
I've taken PPIs off and on for a few years now, before that I took H2 blockers. Nothing really helps the heartburn because the heartburn is from food just sitting there. But I bet I'll be offered another useless nexium script.
Unfortunately the drugs used to increase stomach motility are very serious - I can't take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary (c. diff carrier) and I've had reglan before…

This has been going on for years so I highly doubt they'll find an ulcer or gastritis - 5+ years of that would really tear a person up and would be harder to ignore. Its only because this isn't constant and that I've adapted to eating once a day that I've put up with this so long.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking of you and hoping all goes well. My dh has to have his esophogus stretched in a week due to chronic acid build up.

He is usually out for a short time and comes right home after.