I found a whole litter.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Five or six tiny grey kittens wondered up on our porch last night and tore into our trash. They scattered when we went outside. We looked around a bit to see if we could find them or their mother because they looked far to young to be away from mom. We found them by a bush near the fence huddled around there mommy who had passed away I supose in the last few days. They of course scattered again when they saw us. We desided to put some kibble out for them to see if they would take it. We know they are at least old enough to have teeth because they crunched the kibble down. I want to do something to help the poor things without scaring them for life against humans. We thought about trying to get some traps from a shelter or our vet but I dont know what we would do with the poor dears as I really dont know of any no kill shelters around here. Any advice?

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you were in New York, I would take them for fostering & adoption....the poor little things.

Not sure if this will help but it is a list of organizations that help with feral cats/kittens...State of Texas...

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#tx

If you are able to catch them and it sounds like there is a good chance you can since they are hungry & eating food you leave...I would grab all of them as soon as possible. Without their mother at such a young age, they are practically doomed to be living on the streets without protection.

Are you able to foster them if they are caught?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really wish we could take them in but we are full to the brim one cat, two kittens and one dog in a one bedroom garage apartment. It wouldnt be fair to any of them. We could probly keep them for a week max until we find a safe place for them to go. Thanks for the site, I will check into it and see what I can find. I feel so badly for these little guys. I dont think they even knew momma was gone as they were still nudging against her.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad! I really wish you luck with finding a good place for them.

I wish I could help, you are sorta close. But we already have 6 animals. I dont think I could talk anyone into more.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there is a feed store in your area or a close animal shelter, call them and see if they have kitten traps. When you bait the traps use sardines, or mackeral, the smell will bring them in. Also, is the momcat buried? If so put the traps near where she is buried because her smell will still be where you laid her while you were digging the hole.

Good luck in trapping these poor things

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

If there is a feed store in your area or a close animal shelter, call them and see if they have kitten traps. When you bait the traps use sardines, or mackeral, the smell will bring them in. Also, is the momcat buried? If so put the traps near where she is buried because her smell will still be where you laid her while you were digging the hole.

Good luck in trapping these poor things
Ah I havent even thought of the feed store. We are regulars at our local feed store. I will call them and ask about traps here shortly.. I'm having a duh moment! Thanks for thinking for me lol!

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we have two traps, plenty of yummy smelly fish, kitty kibble, cheese all sorts of things kittens love. We even put the traps in key locations. We have trapped a grad total of one. I think the rest saw him get trapped and took off as I havent seen them since and they arnt in the places we saw them before.

The little guy we got was within 20 minutes of putting them out. He freaked out for about two hours and then I suppose got tired and curled up and went to sleep. I think he isnt quite as feral as we thought because we were able to lure him out with a bit of cheese. Then after he checked us out for a good 10 minutes or so he allowed us to touch him with no objections on his part. Either he is still that young and trusting or his mother may have been someones pet who got out and had kittens. He is now sleeping in our puppys old crate hopefully to be joined by his brothers and sisters soon. I still have no idea what we are going to do with them. Our first step is to get them safe then we will go from there.

By the way his mother was I believe a Russian Blue. I'm not 100% sure as I dont know much about different cat breeds. But a friend of ours used to own a one and the mother looked an aweful lot like her cat. The boy we caught is his mothers spitting image too. Cute lil guy

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow good work!!! one is better than none, and i have no doubt with patience the others will come along soon... do you know how many there are?
How sad that their mother passed away
RIP little one - your babies will be looked after

your a wonderful person to attempt to trap these kitties even though your not sure where to go from there - there will be loads of advise and help from the members here. There is some members that will probably be able to help with some organisations in your area that might be able to help - they will find this thread eventually.

thankyou for being such a wonderful selfless person - there are not enough people like you in this world

furball

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your werent soo far away i would take atleast 2 of em. i LOVE grey kits. Have any pics of em? i have a friend in Austin who i can try and persuade into taking one

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No new trappings over night...but they have come back into the yard. My fiance and I turned out all the lights in the back and sat by the pool and sure enough about ten minutes later four little grey kittens came scampering into the yard. There was just enough moonlight to see them. I really wish I could have just scooped them up but I dont want to scare them. They went to have a look at the trap but wouldnt go closer than three feet. We are going to try and dress it up with twigs and things so it doesnt look scary to them. After a while they scurried off into their bush for the night.

The boy that we caught is doing fine. He is shy at first when you aproach him but after a minute he is up laying on your chest and loving you. My mom who "doesnt like cats" got a good look at him and couldnt put him down. She said she felt sorry for him and if he cant find a mommy she might be willing to help him out "the poor little guy." lol

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank-you so much for taking this little boy into your home and for trying to catch his siblings. I have faith that you will catch these little fuzzy faces and show them care & kindness.

Sounds like your mom "fell in love"

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a sad story, with their kitty mommy passing on......God bless the little thing...............................I'm so glad you are trying to help the babies! Can you take a pic and show us the one you have? Good luck with the rest!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone think it would help if they saw you with their brother and taking care of him? Like maybe if you were outside and he was on a leash and they could see he's not in danger? I've not trapped any before - just tamed adult cats with food. You're so nice to try and take care of these guys!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stormysmom

My mom who "doesnt like cats" got a good look at him and couldnt put him down. She said she felt sorry for him and if he cant find a mommy she might be willing to help him out "the poor little guy." lol
its amazing what these little kitties can do huh? just one look and you melt!! yup looks like your Mom's in trouble to me

no worries that they didnt come to the trap last night, patience will win in the end. Isnt it KFC chicken that someone says to put in the trap? or somethng like that? hmmm let me look into that.

keep up the good work - supporting you all the way here!!

furball

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAHA, my mom said the same thing when i brought Agent Orange home, but then she saw it and said "AWW SO CUTE" and i was able 2 keep him, but then he passed away

I wonder what she'll do when i get another kitty?

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well my mom came back to visit again and left with "Little Danny" He has his home now no doubt about it. I'm not so sure how that will go since my mom is a first time cat owner now and he still is just a tiny baby. Shes taking him to the vet first thing monday morning so I'm sure our vet will point her in the right direction. Also we will get to find out how old these guys are too!

As for the rest of them, there were no new trappings the last couple of days but they are getting bolder. We sat outside in the dark for a while and when they came up I was able to snap some pictures. One little guy let me get about two feet away from him. He sat and finished eating while I took pictures. Here they are... if they are too big ill get someone to take them down but I wanted you guys to get to see them since they are so cute and yall are asking.
enjoy the baby faces!

P.S. There are five kittens left to trap, we got a chance to count them before we took the pics. Sorry the pics are so huge!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you will catch the rest!
Bless you for caring enough to try!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
how wonderful that your Mom has taken little Danny home
and good thing she is getting him to a vet asap. He does need to be checked over.

great photos - they sure do look adorable. And I agree with Chris - I know you will catch the rest, just a little patience is required. Your a wonderful person for all you are doing to help this little babies

keep up the good work

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww they look like my little halen! If i was closer..or could afford shipping again i would take them in! bless you for helping them.