I Found A Stray Cat? I Can't Tell...

Nina_Novak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm Nina and this cat started poping up about a month ago. None of my neighbors that I have talked to have recognized him. He's not neutered. He's super skinny (I can visablely see his ribs). I have brought him inside my house with no problems, he's super friendly, he even used my other cats liter box. But I don't know if he has an owner. And have no clue what my next step should be. I want to take him to a shelter but I'm scared if he has an owner then I just catnapped their cat. I live in a neighborhood with bobcats so I'm also scared to leave him alone.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
it is possible he is lost, sounds to me he possibly did have a home and is lost or abandoned.

Call the vet and shelters to see if anyone has lost a cat with his description. See if they can scan for a microchip too.
Post Found Kitty flyers and on facebook if you are on there too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nina_Novak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it is possible he is lost, sounds to me he possibly did have a home and is lost or abandoned.

Call the vet and shelters to see if anyone has lost a cat with his description. See if they can scan for a microchip too.
Post Found Kitty flyers and on facebook if you are on there too.
Thank you I'll do that

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you find his owners, or that you'd keep him. Thank you for taking him off the streets :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As skinny as you say he is, it sounds like he's been lost or abandoned for awhile.

Is he eating well?

Thank you for rescuing him!

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
some ideas if you don't plan on keeping/think the cat is lost:
check for chip
place found ad in the paper - i know people have mixed opinion on this but here is mine- when my FIL cat vanished we put lost ad in the paper and looked for the found ads. we were grateful for the found ads.
i don't trust craigslist type services as much but if you do then go for that too. facebook. neighborhood website (nextdoor.com)- my neighbors seem to lose their cats right and left.
neighborhood flyers- my friend returned a lost cat via flyer

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chances are he doesn't have an owner (or hasn't for a long time if he's that skinny - and not neutered). As long as you check with local shelters and let neighbors know (and tell them to pass along the word too - - neighborhood flyers and neighborhood associations/facebook pages are good places to put a pic and info up) - I think you've been very responsible and probably done the poor little guy a huge favor.

Is it possible you'll keep him? I hope you'll keep us posted as to what happens to him!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dont let him mingle with your residents as yet! Be sure he is dewormed and healthy at first! So no litter they use together!

HAS they met? Friendly or hostile? This is another point, straying toms may be friendly to humans, but they MAY be very hostile to residents... Others are friendly and trying to please themselves in.
Anyways, beware.

Swell you took him in. This is the trick, either you think he has owners and want seek them; or you want to help him, foster etc... You work on double traces so to speak.

Dont worry about owners thinking you catnapped. Most owners will be just grateful you helped their lost boy.

Hi I'm Nina and this cat started poping up about a month ago. None of my neighbors that I have talked to have recognized him. He's not neutered. He's super skinny (I can visablely see his ribs). I have brought him inside my house with no problems, he's super friendly, he even used my other cats liter box. But I don't know if he has an owner. And have no clue what my next step should be. I want to take him to a shelter but I'm scared if he has an owner then I just catnapped their cat. I live in a neighborhood with bobcats so I'm also scared to leave him alone.