I found a new born kitten and i have so many concerns

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buttery cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
somethig weird ive noticed sinc ei got her is  she shakes her head  like if she is super cold but its only her head.   now that she can sorta walk like an old lady cat. her head shakes more.

is that normal?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Buttery Cat   The head shaking does not sound normal to me.   If it is a slow shaking it could be something related to her eye and nose infections and her balance.  The other possibilty is something with her muscles and coordindination but if she seems to be walking and coordination is fine other than her head maybe not.  Worth checking if you can whether her eyes are moving rapidly side to side which might cause her to do this too - something called nystagmus which is also a neurological thing.  

I know you have had to call your vet a few times for this little one but I do think this is worth talking with them about, and describing how fast it is - like that cold shiver or more of a tremor / slower shaking, and if you see any other things like I have described for her eyes.

Hopefully it is something minor which will settle as she grows or with antibiotics.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The video is a good idea. Is she still on her antibiotics for her UTI?

diana gibson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also found one on the 4 of July, the antibiotic you might need is Biomox amoxicillin, I get a little of warm water and place the pill in it, then put it in the kittens milk., I also use a cream for their eyes but I don't have a tube on hand to give you the name of it, sorry but I put the cream on for abt a week also the pills. Wash his eyes out with a warm wash cloth don't rub but lightly pat., do this abt three times a day., I have a lot of cats and I am 56 yrs old they have been in my life since I was 8 yrs old., hope this help you., oh don't pick him up to much let him rest on a warm towel., if you need to ask more send me a PM

Last edited by a moderator:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Caring for ones companion animals is a very serious responsibility.  Often members will post information about medication for other members in the hope this will help in the care of their cat. While we allow and encourage expression of opinions and the recounting of personal experiences, it is the forum's official position that no on line advice can ever supersede or replace the care and advice of trained medical professionals who have first hand knowledge of the individual animal's condition. We strongly urge members to refrain from undertaking any such advice on medication without first consulting their own veterinarian.

buttery cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
vet told me her head shaking is just her trying to keep her head up as she learns to walk.

she is done taking her medicine.  it was clavmox and the doctor told me to give it to her twice a day for 7 days.

she hasnt pooped in 4 days.  so they are going to give her an enema 

can baby kittens this young die of constipation?

her tummy isnt hard or bloated.  and i put white towls where she sleeps 

to see if she is pooping when it snot her feeding time

and there is no poop

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great that the vet said there is nothing wrong with her head shaking.

Now that she's finished her clavamox, is her URI gone away?

She won't die of constipation, but it probably means she needs more fluids. The antibiotics may have dehydrated her a little.

Is she still drinking the same amount of formula? You can put a few drops of olive or vegetable oil in her bottle to help with the constipation. The enema will clean her out though.

buttery cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah she doesnt sneeze at all c:  she breathes great 

no more coughing

her eyes are cleared up 

shes eating about 60 ccs 

her eyes are open  she starting to walk.  and look around.

picking her up and petting her for about 15  min after feeding her and helping her go

but i let her sleep. once shes more active ill socialize with her more

feeding her eveyr 3 hours

ive been putting a little vegetable oil in her bottle  but nothing has come out

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may need to let the vet perform the enema, then continue adding the oil to her bottles. Will she drink some water between feedings? Extra fluid may help.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask him to show you how to help the kitten eliminate.  Just in case you're not doing it right.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am very glad your vet thinks her head shake is nothing to worry about and just part of her developing skills.

Lots of postive vibes for your little kitten that her constipation resolves, it can't be very comfortable for her so it is good she is still feeding well.