I Found A Lost Cat

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a lost cat last night at some shop. The owner asked me if I could take her home and take care of her since he cant't keep it at the shop. I brought her home and fed her. But I wasn't able to keep a pet at home due to some reason. So I fed her the next morning again and decided to leave her around place where I found her. She resisted while I was taking her out of my house. It felt so emotional. When I took her to the place. she sniffed a bit while in car with open doors. then got out of the car, scared by people around she ran and there was this house, it felt like she belonged there like she meowing and all. Anyway, she went into that house and I called up the intercom to ask of they lost a cat, the girl said 'no we haven't. I don't know if there were two families living up there(it was two story house).
So, I'm worried about her if she would find her actual owner's place or what.
What do you have to say about all this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and also she got attached to me too to certain level

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that the original people, that lived in that house, maybe moved away and left her, or something else happened.
Can you work out the reason(s) you can't keep her to the point that you can, or can you find a loving person or family who would take her in?

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she was afraid of people around so maybe went into that house to hide. And I left her in that area in intentions and hope that she finds her real home.

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And the reason I can’t keep her is that I have to study for a exam and haven’t had any pet before. So it is distracting since I had a pet for the very first time. And now I was confused whether to go that house but I think it’s better to let it go now? I hope she finds her real home.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's up to you.
I was going to say to keep an eye out for her as you go through your days - there's no guarantee whatsoever that she'll be able to find her people.
I will mention that lots of people have cats, even new ones, and study at the same time, by being in a different room.
If you do decide to bring her home, there are a lot of people here that can help you through the process.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All too often, people move and leave their cat behind, thinking (mistakenly) that the cat can "fend for itself" (often it can't). It sounds as though this sweet cat has taken quite a liking to you - she probably hasn't had anyone care anything about her recently. Many cats don't love car rides - so her discomfort in the car very doubtfully had anything to do with being taken away or toward anything - they often meow incessantly in a car (some do love cars though - - - unfortunately I've yet to have one of those kitties!). It's doubtful that she ran to the house near you because that's where she came from (which it sounds like you proved by calling the people who lived there). What's far more likely is that she was indeed a house cat somewhere - perhaps far from where she was found - and someone drove her a distance from home and dumped her near the shop she'd been hanging out near. So the little bit of comfort you offered her was special for her. She has no idea why she's suddenly alone - and going up to the homes where you let her out of the car was her way of saying "can anyone HERE please help me? Or maybe HERE? Someone - please?" Even if you can't take care of her permanently - is it possible for you to bring her in even if only until you can find someone who will take this sweetheart in permanently? She sounds very loving and friendly, and she obviously has sensed in you a kindness - - - someone who might help her. As she was probably a housecat - she won't do well on her own outside - her life will be much shorter and harder, and hunger will be a constant for her. As Furballsmom Furballsmom noted - many people do quite well having to do may functions - even emotionally draining tasks such as take exams - while having (or introducing) a cat. Cats (and in particular cat purrs) are scientifically proven to lower blood pressure, aid in healing, decrease the feeling of stress, and help in general well-being. All factors that would seem to be helpful in studying and taking exams - rather than hurting them. And as Furballsmom Furballsmom stated - many people on this site can help you in setting up for her being inside - it's not a difficult thing.

All that being said - if you simply can't keep her permanently - I hope that for her sake, you'll take her in briefly until you can find her a permanent home with someone to love her. It sounds like that's what she's desperately seeking.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very VERY good point M maggiedemi - - even if you have decided to take no further action as far as keeping her or finding her a home, please go back to make sure she hasn't been stuck in a hallway with no care whatsoever - - dehydration/starvation - very, very painful ways for her to go. Three days without water and kidney damage starts. Hopefully someone has take her in - - she sounds like such a sweetie.

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to that house today to check on her. The owner said that she didn’t find a cat in their garage. I asked the if she is hiding in there somwhere but she made it clear that the cat isn’t here. Maybe she went out. I really hope she reaches her home. I wanted to ask though that I kept her one night at my home and the next morning for awhile. She seemed adapted to the place, so my question is, is it possible that she might get confused between my place or her actual owner’s? But I’ve read they have strong memory. I really hope she finds her actual place.

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And no it wasn’t an apartment. And it didn’t look like a place where she could get trapped

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All too often, people move and leave their cat behind, thinking (mistakenly) that the cat can "fend for itself" (often it can't). It sounds as though this sweet cat has taken quite a liking to you - she probably hasn't had anyone care anything about her recently. Many cats don't love car rides - so her discomfort in the car very doubtfully had anything to do with being taken away or toward anything - they often meow incessantly in a car (some do love cars though - - - unfortunately I've yet to have one of those kitties!). It's doubtful that she ran to the house near you because that's where she came from (which it sounds like you proved by calling the people who lived there). What's far more likely is that she was indeed a house cat somewhere - perhaps far from where she was found - and someone drove her a distance from home and dumped her near the shop she'd been hanging out near. So the little bit of comfort you offered her was special for her. She has no idea why she's suddenly alone - and going up to the homes where you let her out of the car was her way of saying "can anyone HERE please help me? Or maybe HERE? Someone - please?" Even if you can't take care of her permanently - is it possible for you to bring her in even if only until you can find someone who will take this sweetheart in permanently? She sounds very loving and friendly, and she obviously has sensed in you a kindness - - - someone who might help her. As she was probably a housecat - she won't do well on her own outside - her life will be much shorter and harder, and hunger will be a constant for her. As Furballsmom Furballsmom noted - many people do quite well having to do may functions - even emotionally draining tasks such as take exams - while having (or introducing) a cat. Cats (and in particular cat purrs) are scientifically proven to lower blood pressure, aid in healing, decrease the feeling of stress, and help in general well-being. All factors that would seem to be helpful in studying and taking exams - rather than hurting them. And as Furballsmom Furballsmom stated - many people on this site can help you in setting up for her being inside - it's not a difficult thing.

All that being said - if you simply can't keep her permanently - I hope that for her sake, you'll take her in briefly until you can find her a permanent home with someone to love her. It sounds like that's what she's desperately seeking.
And no it didn’t look like that someone dumped her. She had this pink band around her neck with a bell. And she looked like she was proplerly taken cared of. So I don’t think someone dumped or something like that

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im starting to feel so bad about myself and all this. Maybe what I did was wrong or idk what. :(

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very kind of you to put in all of the effort - not to mention worry - you have so far into trying to find her previous home. Yes - having a little pink collar obviously indicates she at one time had a home and someone who loves/loved her. I will say that I've worked for and worked with multiple shelters over the years - - and surprisingly, lots of kitties get dumped with collars on. So while it is definitely an indication she at least at some point had a home, it's not a definite indicator that she still has a home. I'm glad she looks healthy - which is also a good indicator she - at least recently - had a home.

I definitely believe you ABSOLUTELY did nothing "wrong"!!!!!! You're obviously worried about her and trying to do what's best. And never having had a cat makes that even harder! But I can feel that you're trying to do what you think is best for her. I don't know where you live or how the weather is currently where you are - here in the states where I am - it's extremely cold, and a cat that has been either an inside or inside/outside cat wouldn't do well surviving in weather like this. Finding water that's not frozen right now is also a very severe problem for kitties without homes (we leave a heated water dish out for "passerby."

I would suggest - if at all possible, to ease your mind and to keep her safe, that you either A) Bring her into your home or B) find a friend who can take her in or C) take her to a no-kill shelter in your area. Shelters are generally where people (at least here - again, no idea where you live) check first if they've lost a kitty or dog. I personally would bring her in (her chances of not surviving are high as she'll be at great risk of being hit by a car, hurt by another animal - - stray dog or even another cat) and do some very inexpensive advertising (which can be as quick and easy and cheap as xeroxed flyers with a photo of her, where she was found, and your number) to let people in the area know you have her (leave out one distinguishing thing that only her true owner would know - so that she's not taken by someone who means to do her harm - - like you could say "she was found with a collar - the owner will need to describe her collar to me in order to claim her"). Place the fliers around the area she was found - it won't take long - you can even leave them at other offices in the area. Just ask nicely - most people won't turn you down. And (at least where we are) I'd call local shelters with a description of her in case someone comes looking for her. And - place a "found" ad in your local paper (here, "found" ads are free to place), and use your social media connections to spread the word too that you're looking for her home, if she has one (post a pic and where you found her - - and ask your social media friends to share.)

But if possible - I'd bring her in. She obviously sensed in you a kind soul who could offer help and respite. And bringing her inside - - she won't need much. Initially just a litterbox, food and water in your home. Maybe a toy or two - plus a little and the flyers and a few call won't take long either - - and in the meantime, she's in your home, safe and sound and away from things that can hurt her, while also providing the food, water and shelter she definitely needs. She's obviously - on her own - not doing a good job of finding her way home IF she does/did have a home ------ and she'd likely be injured or starve before she finds that home. It certainly appears that if she DOES have a home where she's wanted - - little is being done to find her if you've seen no fliers, etc.

So if you can - bring her in and continue searching while you know she's safe, warm and happy at your home. IF someone's truly looking for her - - they'll find her through the ways I explained - - if not, she's healthy and happy, and even if you can't keep her permanently, she sounds so sweet that you'll like find someone who CAN take her permanently!

Good luck!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the collar have a name or phone number on it? I guess there's nothing you can really do now, unless you see her again. If you do see her again, maybe take her to a vet or shelter and have them scan for a microchip. I hope she isn't hiding under a bed or in a closet at that house.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
She seemed adapted to the place, so my question is, is it possible that she might get confused between my place or her actual owner’s? But I’ve read they have strong memory. I really hope she finds her actual place.
Hi - I'm going to guess that she might hang around the shop(s) where you found her, but it's very hard to know this because it depends on a ton of things.
I guess what I'm suggesting is that you continue to keep an eye out for her, hope for the best (that she finds her people or her people find her) and prepare for the worst - the worst being that you find her again. Which, might not be so bad.
Let us know what happens and how things go.

abdulrehmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to look for her last night around there, maybe catch a glimpse of her. But no I didn’t. Do I need to feel bad about all this or is it just okay?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting food and water out for her at an established time every day and hope that she shows up. Also, you could post flyers asking if anyone who has seen her to call you. A little house kitty with a collar is at too much risk outdoors. Feral cats are trained by their mothers how to watch for dangers yet 70% of feral kittens are killed or die before maturity. You can hope and pray that there is a kind person nearby who cares for strays and ferals. You have a kind and good heart; we understand that you wanted to do what is best. Prayers and vibes that you find her :vibes::vibes::vibes:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
abdulrehmant abdulrehmant ----- i had a note in my email (where I get notifications if a thread I'm following has any activity) - - and it looked as though it was following my last post (the one that started "It's very kind of you to put in all of this effort....") And you'd answered by saying "I absolutely did anything wrong? I’m sorry I’m confused. What did you mean exactly by that?" But when I logged on tonight to see what you were referring to - - - your post where you asked that question seems to be gone. Hopefully you removed it yourself - perhaps after re-reading my note you realized I wasn't criticizing you. :)

You're obviously worried about her and trying to do what's best. I'll say it again - I don't think you did anything wrong!!! You cared about her, trying to remedy the situation and made efforts to find her way to her home, if she indeed has/had one. So hopefully - you see that I was just trying to help you understand that i believe your intentions were good.

And both Furballsmom Furballsmom and catsknowme catsknowme gave great suggestions. Going back to where she was and placing small bowls of dry food and fresh water out in the same area at the same time every day for awhile (cats are VERY much creatures of habit), and then waiting and watching a bit may mean that you see her again. At which time you can decided what you can actually do for her. catsknowme catsknowme had great suggestions as far as the flyers. And she's also right - - the collar means she was obviously someone's kitty at some point, but she may not be now. You may never know. But a house kitty isn't like a feral kitty that's been taught from birth how to survive -- including hunt for food, defend itself, etc. House cats that have been dumped often don't have the skills to survive on the streets.

But again - - - right now tell yourself that you have done nothing wrong, or made anything worse for the little kitty. You can try to do what we've suggested - and put food and water outside and check for her, at which point you can make a decision about keeping her - - even if it's only keeping her long enough to get the word out so that an owner can find her OR find another kind soul like yourself to take her in and give her a loving home! If someone is indeed missing her - - - I think they'd be trying a little harder since she seems absolutely like a sweetie (think how hard you're trying - - - and she's never even been your cat!!!). But even if you never see her again - - - hopefully you can think about it like you brought a little joy into her life even briefly - - she obviously loved the attention, however brief!

So again - remember - - you've done nothing wrong! And if you decide to find her and keep her, wonderful, but if not - - - perhaps HER purpose in YOUR life was to prepare you for when you can/would want a kitty - for when you can save another life! I believe things happen for a reason, and perhaps her purpose was to bring you a little closer to the idea of bringing a kitty in to share your home. If so -- she did a wonderful thing. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
perhaps HER purpose in YOUR life was to prepare you for when you can/would want a kitty - for when you can save another life! I believe things happen for a reason, and perhaps her purpose was to bring you a little closer to the idea of bringing a kitty in to share your home. If so -- she did a wonderful thing. :)
:vibes::heartshape: