I felt bad for her

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmysamson

I'm 5'4".....and I was smart.....
I married a 6'4" man!!
Of course, though when I have to ask him to reach something I get "What's the matter? Are you TOO short?" I keep telling him that I can hack him off at the knees!

I don't think you were wrong in trying to help her, but she may have overreacted to your offer of help because she may have misinterrperted (sp) your intentions. She may have thought you were only helping because she's older, not because she's shorter.
Just a thought. I know my hubby's grandma thinks that way.....she's always telling us she's not too old to do something....but we have to keep reminding her that she IS too short, and we're not helping her because she's "old" (although she is 82, which isn't "young", either) ..she's only 4'6"!!
lol!!, I did the same thing, I'm 5"2 so I found myself a 6"4 guy too!!

As far as the elderly lady goes, she's probably just trying to be independant...and her glaring at you was probably just over her frustration of not being able to do everything by herself anymore. I know that when I have to load heavy cargo and a man comes over to help I will always turn it down....even if it does mean I'm in pain for 3 days

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were only trying to help. I do agree that she could have been a little more polite in her refusal!

I'm 5'4", too. Unless I want to climb the shelves, sometimes I have to ask for help!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good grief! Why couldn't she have been gracious, smiled and said "thank you"?

A few months ago, I was horsing Mom's wheelchair, out of my car trunk and a man stopped and hauled it out, for me. At the (outward-opening) restaurant door, another person held the door, while I wheeled Mom through. In both instances, we BOTH were grateful and let these gentlemen know that we were. There's not enough common courtesy, these days.

I hold doors for elderly/disabled people. MY mother raised me right!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you were in a drug store, and grandma might have been a bit embarrassed by what she was getting, who knows.

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was standing in line the other day and out of the corner of my eye I see this kid in line beside me, standing a bit too close and moving with me every inch I moved forward. It really annoyed me and I thought to myself about how impatient kids are at times.

I glanced around and it was a tiny older woman! She couldn't have been more than 4.5ft tall! I was shocked! I'll bet none of you could top that!

Who knows what that lady was thinking. Might've been having a bad day or was in pain, but that's still no real excuse to be rude. Although I come off rude a lot because I'm so shy, I don't mean to I just have a hard time opening my mouth and speaking when I don't know someone and/or don't feel like chatting. That's why I hate getting trapped with chatter box strangers in the elevator. Maybe she was shy?