I feel like rehoming Luke

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luke is a chronic bully.  I actually rehomed Pete so he could get away from Luke, who was a chronic pest to Pete. Now, Luke is being a chronic bully to Cubby. I just got real mad at him and hollered at Luke and hit him with a shoe. He just will not stop plaguing Cubby. Sometimes, he hurts Cubby and I find clumps of fur from Cubby. Sometimes I feel like getting rid of Luke. This cat above, Winchester, refused to be pestered by Luke and whipped him a few times when Luke tried pressing his luck with him. 

Any tips on what I should do, or can do? He's MEAN to Cubby and sometimes he hurts Cubby.

Cubby is about 9 lbs. Luke is about 12 lbs. Luke is bigger and stronger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woops, pic of Winnie isn't there.

I tried to edit my post but it doesn't seem like I have that option. 

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no experience of what you are going through but please please don't hit your cat with a shoe. Cats don't understand discipline the same way dogs do. (not that it's ok to hit dogs with shoes either I might add).
I'm sure someone will be along soon with more experience on this issue.

Last edited:

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every time he's a bully, he looks at me and then runs away. He knows I don't like him being a bully but he keeps being one anyway.

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may be a bit stressed out, we all may be. I had 4 rooms of carpeting taken out and hardwood oak flooring installed. They began the work on Wed AM and finished Fri about 2 PM. I let the cats into the front sun room closet during that time. I do love my cats, and Luke is a real sweet cat, but has always been a bully. Good chance he'll cool down this week.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It only takes just a small change to stress a cat so you are probably right there. I'm sure you do love your cats. Maybe he is just wanting more attention from you. Sorry I can't advise you more. Good luck, I hope you get things sorted soon.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don't hit your cat or yell at your cat anymore. It doesn't help, it only makes things worse. Also you have to realize that cats don't think like we do they think like cats do. Totally different.

Cats living in the same house hold will have a certain pecking order. It is much different than dogs with their pack behavior, but basically they wind up with a plan where they will time share areas of the house etc. Right now they are trying to establish order and you are messing it up by interfering. Let them sort it out. Every time you stop them you are putting the submissive cat in a dominant position where he doesn't belong. They will figure it out on their own. But if you really think one cat is honestly terrorizing the other then separate them. But yelling or breaking it up etc is just going to make it much worse.

ramgren89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need to give them outlets. Toys, perches ect. Your submissive cat needs a place to get away from your dominant cat. Just like said above do not hit or yell at ur cats it truly doesn't work and can break your bond with them. I also have two cats now one 9 lbs and one 16lbs and even though its scary you need to let them settle their differences unless its an true issue of the one honestly terrorizing which u won't know unless u sit back and watch them. If terrorizing is the case you may have to have them live in separate area. But contact your vet there's oils and plug ins that can help calm cats.

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The changes in the house will have produced a lot of stress for your kitties. Cats are very habitual animals and they can be upset easily.

Try a soothing pheromone product like Feliway to help your cats calm down.

Give each cat some undivided attention at least once per day, but preferably several times a day. Depending on your cat, this might mean cuddling, petting, or playing, but make sure you give each cat some one-on-one attention each day.

As others have mentioned, yelling or hitting a cat doesn't communicate enough with them. They don't understand why you are angry, and so Luke might become frightened of you or aggressive. If you're upset with his behaviors, ignore him. If his behavior is too disruptive and you cannot ignore him, put him in a separate room as a form of "time out".

Someone else also mentioned that you should let them "work it out". Most cat pecking orders will have these little bumps from time to time, so try not to be upset and let them handle it. If this is a new problem, it's probably because of the stress, and the Feliway and individual attention will help.

Make sure they have plenty of toys, scratch posts, beds, and litter boxes. There should be at least one of each for each cat, so that they can all have their own "things".

Good luck! Be patient with Luke!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off as most have mentioned above, please please please do not hit your cat.  Cats do no understand discipline.  You have not mentioned what you have tried with Luke.  One of the best things is for him to be very tired out from good old fashioned play.  Do you have a da bird toy?  Cats love love love it.  Play with him until he is very very tired.  A tired cat from playing/hunting is a better behaved cat.  Take a look at Jackson Galaxy's The Cat Daddy site.  He has helpful advice for all types of cats. 

Feliway is helpful, but be sure you have enough of the plugins for the size of your home.  It also takes a few days to work.  Composure feline treats or Composure liquid max work very well in calming a cat.  I have a territorial aggressive male that was a feral/stray that I brought into the house last year.  He has been aggressive to my other indoor only cat.  I have worked and worked with them both for a year now and there has been major major progress.  They may never ever be buddies, but they have been able to coexist.  The liquid Composure Max worked very well on the more aggressive cat.

Also you don't mention if Luke is neutered. 

I hope the best for you and Luke.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Similar problems that have been solved on Animal Planet's "My Cat from H*ll" involved providing vertical space for the "terrorized" cat to "escape" to. Not necessarily a cat tree, but more along the lines of a pathway of shelving from which they can get up high from some entry point. By itself it is not the answer, but along with the other suggestions, a good part of it.

Also, are there escape routes? Meaning the litter box isn't placed so that a cat can be cornered?

So, add these two elements along with those suggested is all I've got. Good luck.