I feel like my cat could be another breed?

kasumi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I recently got a lovely little female kitten from the animal shelter. They said she is 3 or 4 months old, beautiful little thing!

She looks like a Russian Blue breed, but now I'm curious: Could she be something else as well? Deep within her bloodlines? I feel like there was Ragdoll in her family somewhere, since she likes going limp a lot and acting like... Well... A ragdoll! Its cute, and no, she has no problems! Shes just a dork sometimes, her name is my username, Kasumi! :)

Kasumi(Japanese)

USAGE: Japanese

OTHER SCRIPTS: 霞, 花澄 (Japanese)

PRONOUNCED: kah-soo-mee

Meaning & History

From Japanese "mist". It can also come from 花 (ka) "flower" and 澄 (sumi) "clear".

I really loved the name, especially with the meaning, so I gave her the name for her Russian Blue pelt and shyness and innocence. <3

When I first got her, she was very VERY shy, she did NOT feel comfortable in large, open areas, she didn't like so many people in her area. After about two days, she took a very special liking to me, she enjoys rubbing on me and enjoys the hugs and kisses I give her. Other people? She will run! She will just run away and stay hidden! Now, the shelter is NOT a good shelter, she happened to be sitting in the corner of her cage, watching everyone and people thought she was a mean cat, even my father said she was mean. I was scared of them euthanizing her so I took her as quickly as I could and now I'm here, happy with her. They had no papers, and honestly she doesn't seem to be a purebred at all... I have the pictures of her. Mind you, she is very playful and hyper now, right now shes just running everywhere, climbing up the couch and running across my belly like the little nut she is. Kasumi isn't like this around others, though... If anything, I do want some advice on how to make her used to people coming in and out, I want her to be used to all these noises and new people. She now doesn't mind the noises outside, but the rest? She fears it all!

Anyways, here she is! Meet Kasumi!

Could she be a purebred Russian Blue? Her tail is short, by the way, I didn't know if that was part of their breed or not...

I never had a solid colored cat before, so shes kinda new to me, but I still love her, regardless of features! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The most probable, she is NOT a purebred  RB.  That is rare they are...  If she is a natural, or a mix, we cannot know.

Any case, looking at her, I see a very pretty blue kitten, but I dont get the immediate feeling:  ah, it must be a RB, it just must be!   Could you show us a good pic at her profile?  So we could see the line the forehead - nose?

A shelter will usually call all their blue cats for RB, especially if they also have greenish eyes.

Blue cats without clear cut  descendency are often called for Maltese cat.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kasumi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try my hardest to get more pictures, but she is also camera shy and moves a lot so that the picture is hard to take. Its annoying, but sometimes easy to work with.

kasumi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm on my phone, so idk how to edit my thread.

She actually has very yellow eyes, they usually turn greenish when scared, and her head is round, I went ahead and kind of examined her head, its well rounded, her muzzle is kind of short, too.

Like I said, she is very camera shy and moves around when I want to get a pic of her, she kept turning away from me. Lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, the profile isnt too bad.  A pet quality RB could have such a profile yes.   It would still be dooming her into pet quality if there were solid proofs she is a RB.

But the profile isnt thus either no strong indicium she may be  a RB.

So, all in all.  She is what we call a Maltese cat,  somewhat look alike a RB.

I think you shall be happy with her as she is, even is she is somewhat camera shy.   :)

Good luck!

kasumi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am, and I happened to look at her tail and it is like a coon tail! Very interesting since I noticed that her face holds a tabby pattern, too. Its so odd and beautiful at the same time! Oh I love how she has all this hidden extra beauty.

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She makes my heart melt. So precious and gentle. I recently spoke to someone who used a send away kit that determined her dogs genetic official background and was amazed what her dog's blood line was. But I don't believe there is such a thing for cats. ?

kasumi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's very interesting, I never heard of there being such things, but maybe if there's a kit for dog genetics, maybe there is a kit for cat genetics. I'm gonna look that up! It sounds so cool. :)

escobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful cat! I would love to get a long haired blue cat to go with my all black maine coon :)