I feel kind of judged on here......

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I have indoors only cats, or outdoors only cats. There are people who don't like that I have outdoor cats, but that's their opinion. It irritates me sometimes, but I know I saved their lives by bringing them home as farm kitties, where many were to be euthanized.
but i've seen video of where you live - that's a much safer place for outdoor kitties than mine is!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

My kitties are indoors, we will be moving to Australia where 98% of the population believes that cats need to be outside. I am currently in a battle with my FH He needs to know they are not allowed outside!
Fran i'm so pleased to hear that, because after being indoors all this time they'd be terrified if they were let out i bet

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Fran i'm so pleased to hear that, because after being indoors all this time they'd be terrified if they were let out i bet
I know, we have two leashes and they hate it!! But they absolutely love the balcony, so he and his family is making them an enclosure.

After spending so much money and work on them you simply do not want them to go missing.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Many shelters in the UK will not adopt to anyone that states the cat will be an indoor only cat.
Wow, and here in the US, one of the shelters will not adopt if you say you will let the cat outside. You have to sign contracts and I'm assuming they too do a home-check. I never realized there was such a difference between locations!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In Colorado, outdoor kitties are known as "Fox Food" to those in the know. Coyotes are EVERYWHERE; there was one not five feet from my car as we drove out of the mall parking lot, in the middle of suburbia.

Friends I know who have had outdoor cats have them disappear constantly, and one person's I know got knocked up and then dunked in gasoline WHILE she was pregnant. Yeah, see, that's NOT okay with me.

My kitties go out on leashes under supervision only! If I can help it, I want most kitties indoor only. =)

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are absolutely right to keep your kitties in, given the prevailing conditions where you live. But, see, those are not the prevailing conditions everywhere, and what the OP was talking about was a perception that people were making a judgement about HER situation, which is NOT like this -- based on their own, which is like this or something similarly unsafe. You can't judge all situations based on the one you see. You can't say, "There are alligators in this river. It's unsafe to swim," and then apply that judgement to all rivers. All the OP is looking for is for people to allow her to assess her own situation and decide accordingly, without being judged irresponsible or continually having to defend her decision.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I myself, do not let my cat ourside, though my neighbor has his out on a leash almost daily and the other neighbor atleast one a week on a leash. My cat has had many oppertunitys to go outside and chooses not too! She's scared and I don't mind one bit.

I also do not feel it is my responsiblity nor choice to judge anyone else on their own unique situation. Their lifestyle or how they were raised may be different from mine and each should be handled in their own way. I think that some people do come off as quite harsh at times, but we just all have to remember that we will not and cannot make everyone happy all of the time. You could stand on your head and spit green and still make someone mad!

I do hope that the OP does still like the site and stays around to offer in their own stories or opinions. The more people and the different cultures and opinions just make the world go round!