I dropped a 20mg omeprazole (Prilosec) pill and can’t find it. If my cats do, is there anything I should be worried about?

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was taking it out of the package and it dropped. I looked on the ground in the area and found NOTHING. How the heck it disappeared, I don’t know. I’m a worrier, so I am concerned they’ll sniff it out and find it while I’m gone and get sick. Is this a valid worry?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given the standard dose for a 10 pound cat is 5mg, that pill is 4 times the amount they should be taking at one time. And, side effects from too much are pretty much the same as what a cat is being given the med for in the first place - gastrointestinal upset. I don't think the amount is life threatening, especially if your cat has been taking and handling omeprazole well already. But, you do need to keep an eye out on things like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

I've dropped a ton of my cat's meds - thankfully she is not one to eat stuff off the floor. Nonetheless, I take a broom and sweep a large swath around the area where the pill was dropped, or vacuum the area if carpeted, just to be on the safe side.

If you suspect the pill was ingested, contact your vet, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435), or Pet Poison Helpline (1-855-764-7661) for advice on what, if any, action you need to take.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T
Hi. Given the standard dose for a 10 pound cat is 5mg, that pill is 4 times the amount they should be taking at one time. And, side effects from too much are pretty much the same as what a cat is being given the med for in the first place - gastrointestinal upset. I don't think the amount is life threatening, especially if your cat has been taking and handling omeprazole well already. But, you do need to keep an eye out on things like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

I've dropped a ton of my cat's meds - thankfully she is not one to eat stuff off the floor. Nonetheless, I take a broom and sweep a large swath around the area where the pill was dropped, or vacuum the area if carpeted, just to be on the safe side.

If you suspect the pill was ingested, contact your vet, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435), or Pet Poison Helpline (1-855-764-7661) for advice on what, if any, action you need to take.
Thank you for your reply! I should clarify the omeprazole was for me. I didn’t realize until today that cats are also given omeprazole, in much smaller doses, of course. But that’s why I worry. I’m afraid they’ll swallow an adult dosage! I may vacuum when I get home just in case.