I don't want to see their butts!!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I only found out recently what "camel toe" meant.
Hahaha my one manager Marty is hilarious because he NEVER knew what camel toe was till he walked in on the middle of a conversation between me and my friend Dee talking about one of the girls who insists on wearing TIGHT pants to work and we were talking about how you could literally see her camel toe thru her apron at work this was followed by a demonstration on my part around our pantry...The look on Martys face was priceless when he asked what in the heck camel toe was and why was I walking around like an idiot with my pants up to my armpits..After I told him what it was and who we were talking about he cracked up laughing..Now everytime Dee and I see Marty we ask him how his "camel" is doing..It will forever be an ongoing joke at Perkins!!! LOL

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno I mostly don't agree with any work dress code, I don't think companies should be able to use their employees' clothing in order to present a certain image, to me that's all silliness and a little too invasive. I know, I know it's something that has been done for so long and people are so used to it that many of you will think this is just me being crazy..But anyway so if that ever happened and there was no dress code, I would have no problem with people wearing their pants down or cameltoe or thongs showing..I'd still think it's tacky but it's their business and that's just my opinion, if they like it and it makes them happy then great ...But given the fact that in calico's company women are supposed to adhere to a strict dress code and men are not that makes me just mad and its wrong!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I dunno I mostly don't agree with any work dress code, I don't think companies should be able to use their employees' clothing in order to present a certain image, to me that's all silliness and a little too invasive. I know, I know it's something that has been done for so long and people are so used to it that many of you will think this is just me being crazy..But anyway so if that ever happened and there was no dress code, I would have no problem with people wearing their pants down or cameltoe or thongs showing..I'd still think it's tacky but it's their business and that's just my opinion, if they like it and it makes them happy then great ...But given the fact that in calico's company women are supposed to adhere to a strict dress code and men are not that makes me just mad and its wrong!!
To most folks (at least older folks), it shows professionalism. If the person greeting you or the employees, seen by the public especially, are not well-groomed, dressed nicely, or at least decently, then it gives the impression the company is not professional and will turn some folks off from dealing with that company. To my mind, it is no different than not allowing employees to swear or curse at or around customers - it is just not professional.

Evenings and weekends they can wear what they like but not on company time.

I know that I changed mortgage companies some years ago when my copy of our mortgage papers was full of spelling and typing errors. I figured if they were that careless with a legal document, what other things were they careless about!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that certain clothing stores prefer you to wear their clothing to promote the store and sales but also they dont exclusively say you cant wear anything but our stuff they just ask that you dont have brand tags or lettering prominent or showing on the other stuff you are wearing. So if your working at American Eagle your not wearing a shirt broadcasting that its from Aeropostale or The Gap. That stuff I understand and with food service there needs to be a level of profesionalism and cleanliness seen by customers which is why we wear plain white oxford shirts and black dress pants along with our Perkins apron. Most restaurants around here have basically the same black and white dress code. IMO it just looks better. But in a place where your not dealing with customers directly men and women shouldnt be discriminated against as to what they wear so if theres going to be a dress code it should be for both men and women or none at all

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yea, with foods service I agree that certain maybe a dress code needs to be in place and also in other jobs where it's dangerous to wear open toed shoes and stuff like that but I think it should be only within the bounds of what is considered sanitary and safe.. I mean I can understand how it seems unprofessional but that's so subjective, I am sure that if these dress codes were never in place to begin with and people were allowed to wear whatever at their office jobs for instance lots of piercings and mini skirts and tank tops, it would never even begin to seem unprofessional because we'd be used to it..IMO at least. I mean I find a lot of fashion trends tacky or ugly or gross, but I do think being creative with your look is a cool thing and is a form of expression so I wouldn't even mind seeing people wearing something I don't find attractive as long as they like it, I'd look up to them for wearing what they like even if its controversial. But yea I'd never find a guy with his pants down like that attractive even if he is otherwise good looking, there have been cases where there would be a guy I know who dresses like that and then one day I see him in more normal business casual clothes and I see him in a totally different light and I become attracted to him..But this how far my dislike for this trend goes I don't actually care if I see people dressed like that that doesn't bother me because I try to be more open minded lol

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I mean I find a lot of fashion trends tacky or ugly or gross, but I do think being creative with your look is a cool thing and is a form of expression so I wouldn't even mind seeing people wearing something I don't find attractive as long as they like it, I wouldn't judge them and I'd look up to them for wearing what they like even if its controversial.
Some people do no have any sense of what looks nice or tacky and therefore really need some guidelines. I personally do not want the person dealing with me to be showing a thong or bras. They are called "undergarments" for a reason.

I've seen some beautiful larger women dressed beautifully and looking lovely, then I've seen the larger women who wear tights that show every cellulite bump and bulge. The ones dressed in the tights would draw my attention away from the business at hand and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the important aspects of the business and I think that is also part of the reason for having a dress code. If there is a lot of cleavage, low slung pants, etc.it distracts from the business at hand. I just think the place for lots of cleavage showing, and underwear being worn as outerwear is in a house of ill repute not a place of business.

It just gives a bad first impression and rather than looking "sexy" as probably the person wearing is striving for, it just looks cheap and tacky.

You can actually see this yourself - check out ads for expensive items versus cheap items - you'll see a beautiful woman in a little black dress and looking very sophisticated (not showing her butt and breasts) in the expensive ads - there's a reason for that.
It's called being subtle and is much sexier to most men actually than the "show-it-all".

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Some people do no have any sense of what looks nice or tacky and therefore really need some guidelines. I personally do not want the person dealing with me to be showing a thong or bras. They are called "undergarments" for a reason.

I've seen some beautiful larger women dressed beautifully and looking lovely, then I've seen the larger women who wear tights that show every cellulite bump and bulge. The ones dressed in the tights would draw my attention away from the business at hand and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the important aspects of the business and I think that is also part of the reason for having a dress code. If there is a lot of cleavage, low slung pants, etc.it distracts from the business at hand. I just think the place for lots of cleavage showing, and underwear being worn as outerwear is in a house of ill repute not a place of business.

It just gives a bad first impression and rather than looking "sexy" as probably the person wearing is striving for, it just looks cheap and tacky.

You can actually see this yourself - check out ads for expensive items versus cheap items - you'll see a beautiful woman in a little black dress in the expensive ads - there's a reason for that.
I know what you mean and I'm sure most people feel the same way..
I just think it's unfortunate that we have to be distracted by something that is nothing abnormal it's just the human body ...whether it have cellulite or not lol..I guess it's the whole purpose why we have clothes in the first place and even that I find sad
I just wish people could be comfortable with one another's bodies even if they were naked because it's just normal..Lol we could learn so much from animals!!!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just have to add a story here.

Working backstage at Fashion Week, dressing models, we're constantly trying to stay out of the way of the photographers, who are shoving and being rude and clamoring, trying to get their shots of the models once they're dressed and in line-up.

There's one guy who is so obnoxious and rude, we each know who someone is talking about when they say, "that guy....you know....that photographer".

Well, lately, the past two seasons, he's been wearing his jeans lower. They're not as bad as that "fashion" that we've all been talking about, and he wears a belt, but, when he leans down to get a shot, when he's bending around, those of us unlucky to be standing behind him see his butt crack. His butt crack!!!! EWWWWW!! He's sort of skeevy anyway, and this makes him skeevier. Those of us who have to view it just look at each other and...
... and say, "didn't have to see that."

Really unattractive.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a job and while customers can't see them, it is still a professional environment.

Your company needs to come up with an appropriate dress code. Which it seems like they have been trying to do.

Obviously they need to make an amendment to it. Things such as:

Pants must be no lower than hip height.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I know what you mean and I'm sure most people feel the same way..
I just think it's unfortunate that we have to be distracted by something that is nothing abnormal it's just the human body ...whether it have cellulite or not lol..I guess it's the whole purpose why we have clothes in the first place and even that I find sad
I just wish people could be comfortable with one another's bodies even if they were naked because it's just normal..Lol we could learn so much from animals!!!
But dressing nicely in public, at work, has nothing to do with nudity or not being comfortable with their bodies. It has more to do with respect for other people who don't particularly want to see other people's private parts. I have no issues looking at my own private parts or my husband's but I don't want to see my neighbour's.

That's also why there are such places as nudist colonies - so that persons who want to go naked can be with like-minded persons. None of that has anything to do with dressing appropriately for the workplace IMO.

What I think is truly sad is that some young people think they need to show off their bodies to be liked, in fashion, accepted by peers or whatever other reasons they feel they need to wear revealing clothing.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But dressing nicely in public, at work, has nothing to do with nudity or not being comfortable with their bodies. It has more to do with respect for other people who don't particularly want to see other people's private parts.
But that's what I was saying, I find it sad that most people are uncomfortable with nudity or wearing little clothing and that they need to even be respected in that sense in the first place...

What I think is truly sad is that some young people think they need to show off their bodies to be liked, in fashion, accepted by peers or whatever other reasons they feel they need to wear revealing clothing.
I am not sure what people's motivations for wearing revealing clothing are , I can only speak for myself but if I wear revealing clothing it is because I find it looks nice and I feel pretty in it and there is nothing that makes one feel more comfortable like feeling beautiful. I like to wear very simple clothes every day to class like jeans and solid v neck t shirts and then I add something extra with the accessories and that makes me happy because I don't like to draw attention to the way I'm dressed in general..But my jeans and tops are pretty tightly fitted and that's only because I feel like it flatters my figure and I feel comfortable and I like being able to look down at myself and like what I am seeing it makes my mood more optimistic and cheerful. So for me at least it's for entirely selfish reasons and what my definitions of external beauty are. If it agrees with my definition of beauty, I'll wear it. But the truth is everyone's definition is different and some people find tacky or skanky things beautiful lol.. So do you ever think that maybe these people who wear revealing clothing do it for their own reasons, not because they want to be liked?? I mean I am sure there are cases where it is just to be liked but I find to believe that anyone past their teens feels like they need to wear revealing clothes to be liked it is just a pretty immature way to go about choosing clothes.