I don't want to put him to sleep!

mrbabysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh goodness, I am so sorry. Since he already has this problem and you are at the last resort it sounds like, what about dog or kitty diapers??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pokey318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update-Well Tornado is using the litter box!
I saw him use it the first night and was thrilled! I am checking the box several times a day to keep it clean and to see if he is using it.

Come into the cat's room the next morning and find that the litter box has been used; so has the plastic I used to cover the old stains on the carpet.
There was a couple of drops of pee on the mat by the litter box, but I think that was from one of the cats going over the side of the box. I have dipp sticks to check the urine here at home as the dog has to have her urine checked every so often, so I checked the urine that was on the plastic. I had no idea when during the night one of them peed on the plastic, but I figured it was better than nothing. Well, the urine had a good bit of blood in it!! Since I saw Tornado use the litter box the night before I began to wonder if maybe it was Phoebe that was peeing on the floor.
Tornado did have a UTI at their check up 6 weeks ago and a calcium oxalate stone in his bladder (that has since been removed) and Phoebe's urine was clear, so I just assumed it was Tornado.

Took both cats to the vet yesterday and had them do a urinalysis on both of them. Guess what? Both cats have blood in their urine, Phoebe's was worst than Tornado's. The senior vet wanted to wait and see what my vet wanted to do as far as treatment; he would like to see me put them both on Cosequin. My problem is I am leaving town on Saturday for a week and have a young child come clean the litter and feed them. I can not have a the kid deal with medical also.

Just taked to my vet; she is going to give Tornado a steroid injection to help with the inflammation . Phoebe had an injection yesterday for her asthma; she gets an injection when we are out of town since she will not be getting her inhaler. The vet thinks this will help until we get back in town; then I can start the Cosequin.

I have a feeling this is going to be an ongoing thing for these cats!

minimax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Cat toilet is on the balcony and Max does miss sometimes so I have got a big Piece of Linolium and now he has his own floor under his cat litter box and any accidents can be sorted out with ease
Stu

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's good news that it's medical rather than behavioral. Cats who don't want to be going out of the box but are in pain is a much easier problem to solve... hopefully once you can get them the right medicaiton, it'll clear up the urinary tract problems.

coriona_vanord

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend nature's miracle, It doesn't completely remove the stain therefor it doesn't remove the smell which is why he continues to use it. I feel deeply sorry for you hun, I know its very frustrating, please please, stay patient Tornado still loves you very much and doesn't deserve to die because he is sick, neither does he deserve to live out his remaining years in a shelter. It's true he probably does associate the pain with the litter box. Just please be patient. I've been a groomer for over 4 years now so I have heard and tried a lot of recommendation's for good stain and odor removers and what I have found to work on everything from pet stain and odor to even laundry is plain old white vinegar, Just soak the spots for awhile and vacuum the remainder with any type of carpet powder. Take Tornado to the bathroom as if you where house training a kitten pr puppy all over again, every 1/2 hour, when he goes make a huge deal and give him his favorite treat, you could also use a crate if that doesn't work like puppies. Please hun though, have mercy on the poor thing would you want to be put on death row for a minor U.T.I or be locked up because you where sick? Either way even if you put him in a shelter the sentence is more than likely death as like you said not many people are going to take a senior cat with an illness over a healthy kitten. Just try the method for awhile I promise it will work, if not if you don't live to far away I will personally drive to your house and train him if you'd like. Best of luck and I hope he gets to feeling better soon, the both of you, best wishes

pokey318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The good news is Tornado is pooping in the litter box ALMOST everytime; he did go on my daughter's bed once during the past week.

The bad news is one of he cats is peeing on the piece of plastic I have covering the old stained areas. Which ever cat it is, is not peeing there all the time. There is plenty to scoop from the litter box and it is only once a day that it is on the plastic. I used a urine test strip to check the urine and there is no blood in it. This means the steroid shots both cats received has helped at least the one peeing on the floor.

I am going to have to give one of the cats the pill to see which one is peeing on the floor. Does anyone know the name of the pill that will make the urine a different color? The vet told me about 2 different things we can do to figure out which cat it is, but I don't remember what it is called. Being as I only have the 2 cats, it will be easy to give it to one cat and be able to eliminate the one that isn't peeing on the floor. I believe the vet said either the urine would glow (or something like that) for the cat that had the pill. I am pretty sure it is Tornado because when he was at the vet's for his surgery, there was pee in the litter box with only Phoebe here at home. That was weeks ago, so I realize the either ir both cats could be the issue now.

Coriona- I was never going to leave Tornado at a shelter; I could not have him living in those conditions! I am aware that it would be a special individual to take on a sick cat with litter box issues, that is why if we could not resolve these issue I thought of putting him to sleep. And by put to sleep, I meant at the vets office with me by his side, not gassed at a shelter! It is not something I want to do as I love the cats very much, but at the same time I can not live with urine and poop all over my house. Several courses of meds and surgery has not made Tornado better; he has lost weight and the vets have not found anything else wrong with him. Maybe something will show up in time, but his blood work, urinalysis, x-rays, and ultrasounds are all coming back good other than the blood in the urine 11 days ago.

pokey318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks beandip, that is what I was looking for. I had in my head something about being florescent , but wasn't sure I remembered correctly. I wanted to look it up and get more info about it before I called the vet tomorrow. I don't think I have gone a week in the last 2 months without going to the vet for one pet or another!! The dog just got back from boarding with her training and she is licking her butt which means she has full anal glands; she just had them expressed 11 days ago, which means the tech didn't fully empty them. I knew when the new tech told me only one gland was full there was a problem. Piper always has her gland expressed every 3-4 weeks and both glands are always full. I think this tech either didn't check as well as the others or something was amiss. So back we go tomorrow.